BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

02-14-2015, 10:12 PM   #1
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Latest iDrive Media / Phone Software Update to V. 002_255_062 /060

__________________________________________________ __________
UPDATE: as it has been asked in many threads, here it is, Opasha confirms (post 13 below, and post 1218 here: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...033991&page=56)that this upgrade does not affect coding work, including HU_NBT.
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

After spending a week at the BMW spa, the car came back with a fresh firmware update. However, some Bluetooth functions were not working properly.

Just checked at www.BMW.com/update and the phone and media software in the car were several versions stale.

Step 1: You can download the update to a USB drive from the site and follow the directions there.
Step 2: There is no step 2 for most people. Bu for some they have to un-pair and re-pair devices from both iDrive and the device/phone.

Go to settings, and check for software updates. Your should at minimum be on version: (media) MN-002_255_060 and (phone) TN-002_255_062, which you can download from the update link. The extracted file was created 15 DEC 2014.

Before and after photos below. Bluetooth functions restored, after update, and after removing and re-pairing two phones and two other media devices.

Symptoms:
- only one phone would connect at a time (car has EBT option)
- bluetooth would repeat one particular song after every start (first song, alpha sort), not where you left off
- album art missing occasionally or instead showing a black screen with some tiny red letters/digits in the bottom that were not legible.

Before

After

Update content:

"Software update with BMW ConnectedDrive.
This updated software was specially provided to support the use of new mobile devices with Connectivity products from BMW:

- Hands-free kit with USB audio interface (optional equipment, code 6NH)
- Mobile phone preparation Bluetooth connectivity with USB audio interface (optional equipment, code 6NK)
- Mobile phone preparation Bluetooth connectivity with USB audio interface including BMW Assist (optional equipment, code 6NL)
- ConnectedDrive Services (optional equipment, code 6AK)
- Intelligent emergency calling (optional equipment, code 6AC)
- Convenience telephony with extended smartphone connectivity (optional equipment, code 6NS)
- Apps (optional equipment, code 6NR)

This update is valid for vehicles with production date from July 2012 to February 2014.

Consult the information on the software update for the benefits updated software offers to your vehicle and your device.

Find more information about compatibility here:

- www.bmw.com/bluetooth: BMW Bluetooth interface – approved and tested devices.
- www.bmw.com/usb: USB audio interface – approved and tested devices."

Besides updating via a USB, I extracted the files on a computer and glanced at the XML files.

• Software update is titled: "Software Update 12/2014" in the phone update section.
• Phones mentioned: Apple iPhone 4, 4S, 5, 5C, 5S (iOS 7); Motorola Razr i; BlackBerry Q10, 9800, 9900 (OS 7.1); Samsung Galaxy S4; All Bluetooth Devices. My iOS8 phone runs fine now.
• some text language updates seem to be included, specifically for JP, KR, CHS (simplified Chinese), and language code "YY" (?)
• The XML file made no mention of my VIN, but:
• Some VIN related information as follows: "Software Update 12/2014</description><creationdate>2014-11-05</creationdate><expirationdate>2024-01-01</expirationdate><releasestatus>released</releasestatus><targetECU>99</targetECU><vinallow><vin>*</vin></vinallow><ctrlcommand/><spindex><SWUP HashValue="9c93ZQgTHbHnLsTfo2c0kMcCKJCRkyPKg1LK3PX C03Y="
• Gets a lot of info from www.w3.org which is a connected car organization.

Last edited by MattBianco; 06-06-2015 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 2
      02-15-2015, 12:28 PM   #2
brothfly
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 i35D

So my car was sometime around Jan 2014, do you think I should update the SW to the 5062 even though it says March 2014 and later??
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 12:33 PM   #3
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bothfly View Post
So my car was sometime around Jan 2014, do you think I should update the SW to the 5062 even though it says March 2014 and later??
Thanks
I tend to upgrade all firmware and updates regardless of need or consequence. But that is me

edit....just realized the dates you mention. if you have an E70, I'd be cautions. I would follow the screen instructions as stated by BMW. It may ask you to do one more upgrade from 5021 to 5026. One clue is where my starting firmware was: 49.003. Don't know what yours shows now.

Last edited by MattBianco; 02-15-2015 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 07:53 AM   #4
brothfly
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 i35D

I've got a Jan/FEB 2014 build and had taken my car in to the dealer last month for the first service, I know I had upgraded the software last summer to the 5021 but after the car was in at the dealer which a SW upgrade was supposedly done, my iDrive was back to 49.003. So I decided to upgrade right to the 5062 even though it says March 2014 or later.
It worked fine in fact as I wrote on another thread, BT Album Art streaming from my iPhone 6 Plus to the car now finally works. Had no luck in the past to get BT streaming with Album Art, only when connected via USB.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2015, 07:08 AM   #5
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

Finally BMW get around to updating the website for new phone firmware.

I'll have to go and check mine now . . .
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 09:08 AM   #6
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

MattBianco I'm with you on this one, got to be on the latest software, if there is an update it's got to be an improvement, right?

Updated mine, dead easy, took about 1 minute, now lets see what changes.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2015, 08:57 AM   #7
Dash52
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 740i Xdrive

Matt.....Does doing the update ( I assume I should use a memory stick via USB) wipe out any coding that was done?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 09:11 AM   #8
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash52 View Post
Matt.....Does doing the update ( I assume I should use a memory stick via USB) wipe out any coding that was done?
Procedure is as you described, with a USB.

I cannot guarantee it won't affect coding. The only codes at risk would be:

- enabled EBT when the car came without one
- enabled video in motion

You can download and glance at the XML file as I have. Seems to be an update for compatible phones, OS, and album cover capability, plus better bluetooth management.
      02-19-2015, 09:18 AM   #9
Dash52
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post

You can download and glance at the XML file as I have. Seems to be an update for compatible phones, OS, and album cover capability, plus better bluetooth management.
I would like to know if EBT is effected because I have had that coding done....and I do not want to lose it.... Maybe Opasha knows?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 09:26 AM   #10
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would like to know if EBT is effected because I have had that coding done....and I do not want to lose it.... Maybe Opasha knows?
What kind of a question is that?

opasha knows everything.
      02-19-2015, 10:24 AM   #11
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPickles View Post
MattBianco I'm with you on this one, got to be on the latest software, if there is an update it's got to be an improvement, right?

Any noticeable changes??
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 10:42 AM   #12
Dash52
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post

Matt:
My coder just assured me that any update loaded via USB will not harm the coding in any way. He is very knowledgeable so I will do the update and confirm.
Appreciate 3
      02-19-2015, 12:10 PM   #13
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Matt:
My coder just assured me that any update loaded via USB will not harm the coding in any way. He is very knowledgeable so I will do the update and confirm.
This is correct . Enhanced Bluetooth is an FA coded option. FA Codes are never affected even by VO Coding, which is what we do to restore your car codes to factory state and resync the entire car if new parts are installed or need to restart any ECU. Also, USB updates don't change anything; this is also why it has its own update displayed, which is different from your Vehicle Firmware. Your firmware is only readable if specifically coded (I'm not sure if the developer coded menu shows it or not) or read through ESYS VCM I-step level section. So update away everyone . 42pilot asked me this earlier, and I wasn't 100% sure at the time whether or not it affected HU_NBT (your iDrive - the only ecu folder it is related to). However, I read that it doesn't even get close to touching those codes: 1) this update does not go deep enough to read your ECU 2) it's like a simple navigation update and navigation updates don't make you lose a thing.
      02-19-2015, 12:14 PM   #14
Dash52
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
This is correct . Enhanced Bluetooth is an FA coded option. FA Codes are never affected even by VO Coding, which is what we do to restore your car codes to factory state and resync the entire car if new parts are installed or need to restart any ECU. Also, USB updates don't change anything; this is also why it has its own update displayed, which is different from your Vehicle Firmware. Your firmware is only readable if specifically coded (I'm not sure if the developer coded menu shows it or not) or read through ESYS VCM I-step level section. So update away everyone . 42pilot asked me this earlier, and I wasn't 100% sure at the time whether or not it affected HU_NBT (your iDrive - the only ecu folder it is related to). However, I read that it doesn't even get close to touching those codes: 1) this update does not go deep enough to read your ECU 2) it's like a simple navigation update and navigation updates don't make you lose a thing.
Yeah...what he said! Thanks O
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 12:39 PM   #15
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah...what he said! Thanks O
Anytime, tell your friend thanks as well for confirming .
      02-19-2015, 04:16 PM   #16
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt View Post
Any noticeable changes??
buckeyewalt Nothing noticed as yet though I have deleted and reconnected my bluetooth devices.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 06:43 PM   #17
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Anytime, tell your friend thanks as well for confirming .
Quote:
buckeyewalt Nothing noticed as yet though I have deleted and reconnected my bluetooth devices.
Hey guys, just curious, other than "not doing any harm", what good would it do to update if we don't now what the update is and what it actually updates? I downloaded the update on a usb and was going to install it but I just thought I would ask to see if anybody knew what it actually updates. If it's only for the iphone and I don't have one, then it wouldn't do me any good to update, at least that is my thought.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 07:08 PM   #18
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt View Post
Hey guys, just curious, other than "not doing any harm", what good would it do to update if we don't now what the update is and what it actually updates? I downloaded the update on a usb and was going to install it but I just thought I would ask to see if anybody knew what it actually updates. If it's only for the iphone and I don't have one, then it wouldn't do me any good to update, at least that is my thought.
I don't remember where they show this update release info to the public. wdimagineer would probably know best. However, if your bluetooth is working perfectly fine, follow the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
      02-19-2015, 11:20 PM   #19
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't remember where they show this update release info to the public. wdimagineer would probably know best. However, if your bluetooth is working perfectly fine, follow the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
truer words were ever spoken
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2015, 08:09 AM   #20
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

Quote:

I am in a different camp - I will not update unless something is broken. Many times updates cause unintended changes and need to be further patched or rolled back. I usually wait several months after an update comes out and only update if it fixes a problem I am having. Just my free opinion
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 08:55 AM   #21
Dash52
Private
Rep

Ihave EBT coded. Bluetooth now working smoothly. Streaming album art for songs which used to only work correctly when connected via USB. Also text messages in "office" showing up via Bluetooth....still no email.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 10:16 AM   #22
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ihave EBT coded. Bluetooth now working smoothly. Streaming album art for songs which used to only work correctly when connected via USB. Also text messages in "office" showing up via Bluetooth....still no email.
Is that with an iPhone?
Appreciate 0