BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-10-2015, 04:02 PM   #23
X35dee
Rep
Drives: X5 xdrive35d

BO come with 16 speakers right? What about the HKs? Are there subs as well?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 04:14 PM   #24
knepsterd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 BSM

Head unit is a 600W Harman Kardon surround sound system with 16 speakers (including tweeters). Subs under each front seat.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 04:17 PM   #25
X35dee
Rep
Drives: X5 xdrive35d

Thank you sir! Can't wait to get my x5!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 04:25 PM   #26
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdido2k10 View Post
BO come with 16 speakers right? What about the HKs? Are there subs as well?
B&O Info: http://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/car-a...s/bmw/BMW,-,X5

There's more to B&O than just more wattage. It delivers every sound clearly and precisely, there's no excess noise or distortion other than the pure sound of the audio source. It really feels like you're in a concert orchestra hall, it doesn't just flood the cabin with sound but position each speaker strategically to create a full surround effect. Every note, every guitar drift, and every vocal sound can be heard clearly. I also coded ASD off for less distractions.

The X5's B&O is worth every penny.

I had a chance to listen to the new 7 series' B&W. For $3,400, it is the best sound system ever offered in a BMW.
      11-10-2015, 04:28 PM   #27
knepsterd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 BSM

It's 2x wattage of HK
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 03:21 PM   #28
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SriRamJaiRam View Post
Can anyone comment on the sound quality difference/details between the two? I'm wondering if B&O is worth the $4,500. Thanks in advance...
yes it is absolutely worth it... the b&o system is clear all through-out the volume range. i have had b&o in every vehicle i have owned when it was available as an option but that being said the HKL7 system is definitely not junk but pales in comparison to the RR/RRS offering.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 05:23 PM   #29
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

You'll hear many differing opinions on this, and it just comes down to price vs. value for YOU. I couldn't justify the uptick in price from the HK to the B&O, you on the other hand might be able to justify it. The HKL7 system was, and still is, more than satisfying for my audio needs.
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2015, 05:30 PM   #30
Alex S.
Enlisted Member
Austria
Rep
Drives: X5, F15

In theory the difference between the two should shrink soon as HK bought automotive part of B&O. Though there has to be some premium destinction
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 01:19 AM   #31
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

The wife and I both agreed that the B&O just wasn't worth the $$$
Have been very pleased with the HK, you will spend a bit of time tinkering with the settings to dial it in.
      12-30-2015, 07:30 AM   #32
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15GorDe View Post
As has been posted by others, use your sound system budget to fund a custom install to your liking for LESS than what the B&O upgrade will cost you!
Lots of great options available out there.
then you have warranty concerns and have to deal with custom boxes or chop up the interior to hide stealth boxes etc. it just isn't worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
B&O Info: http://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/car-a...s/bmw/BMW,-,X5

There's more to B&O than just more wattage. It delivers every sound clearly and precisely, there's no excess noise or distortion other than the pure sound of the audio source. It really feels like you're in a concert orchestra hall, it doesn't just flood the cabin with sound but position each speaker strategically to create a full surround effect. Every note, every guitar drift, and every vocal sound can be heard clearly. I also coded ASD off for less distractions.

The X5's B&O is worth every penny.

I had a chance to listen to the new 7 series' B&W. For $3,400, it is the best sound system ever offered in a BMW.
indeed, gone are the days of poor german oem audio systems. well porsche still has to wrap it's head around this but for audi, bmw & mb (burmester) there are enough audio options to satisfy the most finicky audiophiles. even volvo's b&w system is quantum leaps ahead of anything they have offered before. i had the 1400w L7/HD system in my L322 RRSC and it was phenomenal but fell short of the L494 Meridian system that was 1700w of pure insanity. it was clear and audible at any level. by far the best factory system i have heard in a vehicle yet. (for anyone considering these options test the systems with cd audio or apple lossless files otherwise you're not getting the true experience).
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 09:53 AM   #33
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

All of this is pointless when you're driving at highway speeds and the road noise pollutes your listening pleasures...
      12-30-2015, 12:53 PM   #34
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

or on some models the artificial exhaust note sent through the speakers... gross.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 03:05 PM   #35
gtmassive75
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5,G20 M340,Infiniti Q50RS

My quick 2cents... I have never heard B&O system, but got the HK and its awesome.. especially if you set the EQ correctly. I listen to mostly Reggae(lots of bass), Bollywood(lots of voice and instruments and SOCA(just loud).. I WOULDN'T spend another $4000k for B&O even if I could afford it, over the HK.
2020 G05 MSport 40i--Phytonic Blue Metallic/Vernasca Coffee Leather/Multi Contour SeatsTrim/Executive Package/MSport Brakes/Icon Adaptive Led HeadlightsW/Laserlight/Harman Kardon/Heated Front Seats Armrests & Steering
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2015, 09:55 PM   #36
AnupT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 M Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35i  [0.00]
@gtmassive75 can you share your eq settings pic?
2005 545i
2003 325i
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 10:58 PM   #37
Line Drive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 50e  [0.00]
Yes, I'd be interested in seeing that, too. I've been struggling to find the right tone on my HK. When not listening to music, I do listen to news and podcasts, and often they sound like they're in a tunnel (even the professional podcasts). The only way I've found to minimize that effect is to turn off the surround sound.
      12-31-2015, 12:52 AM   #38
deez330
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 Comp, 2014 F15

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
My tone settings got wiped today with a software update. Could immediately tell when I turned on the music. The settings really make a big difference. I suggest spending a good 30 minutes of tweaking to get the best sound. As others have suggested, you will want to use CDs.

On my B&O I select expanded sound rather than theater or whatever that first default setting is called, and I find that it makes the sound really fill the car nicely. I crank the bass way up and the treble down a tad. I also put push the fader up to get an even more immersive surround experience. find the point where the sound doesn't seem to be coming from any particular directional, but from everywhere. The last touch is to tweak the equalizer. I usually go with a near symmetrical concave shape protruding to the right and it sounds great on a vast variety of music genres that I listen to.

I think that a great sound system increases my driving experience, as music is a big part of my life. The B&O sound system was definitely worth the money for me. Having a system that was specifically made for the acoustics of your specific car really make a difference. To be honest I wasn't totally blown way by the B&O when I first heard it at the dealership either, but I got it anyway. Now that I found my sweet spot with the tone settings, this system really shines and I'm loving it. To each his own.

Last edited by deez330; 12-31-2015 at 01:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 04:55 AM   #39
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez330
My tone settings got wiped today with a software update. Could immediately tell when I turned on the music. The settings really make a big difference. I suggest spending a good 30 minutes of tweaking to get the best sound. As others have suggested, you will want to use CDs.

On my B&O I select expanded sound rather than theater or whatever that first default setting is called, and I find that it makes the sound really fill the car nicely. I crank the bass way up and the treble down a tad. I also put push the fader up to get an even more immersive surround experience. find the point where the sound doesn't seem to be coming from any particular directional, but from everywhere. The last touch is to tweak the equalizer. I usually go with a near symmetrical concave shape protruding to the right and it sounds great on a vast variety of music genres that I listen to.

I think that a great sound system increases my driving experience, as music is a big part of my life. The B&O sound system was definitely worth the money for me. Having a system that was specifically made for the acoustics of your specific car really make a difference. To be honest I wasn't totally blown way by the B&O when I first heard it at the dealership either, but I got it anyway. Now that I found my sweet spot with the tone settings, this system really shines and I'm loving it. To each his own.
Please take a photos of your settings. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 09:03 AM   #40
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnupT View Post
@gtmassive75 can you share your eq settings pic?
all HK system users should post their EQ settings.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 09:09 AM   #41
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

There are several threads with some settings by some users already.
      12-31-2015, 09:25 AM   #42
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

any for us B&O owners?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 09:45 AM   #43
Kessler35is
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 50i, 2016 E89 35is

Garage List
2016 Z4 35is  [0.00]
2015 X5 50i  [0.00]
I've had both systems in an X5.

The B&O is hands down better.

For everyone that is complaining about the lack of Bass I would suggest that you make sure you are using quality media. Don't expect to get great audio from crappy MP3's or from a bluetooth connection.

Either rip your music into the system from an original CD or make sure you get a high quality file like FLAC.

Also, just because you plug into the USB doesn't mean you will get better quality. If the source file is of low quality like 128 bps than you are missing a lot of data in the music and that is how low bitrate MP3's work. They drop out "un-needed" highs and lows to save space and compress the dead space.

My favorite quality of the B&O is the complete lack of distortion or overdrive. The highs stay crisp, the S's and P's do not hiss or pop and the lows do not fade out or get the feeling you are overdriving the subs. This comes from quality speakers and good magnets that can reset the speaker quicker.

There are songs that the HK can not handle that I have played on both and on the B&O plays it like it was meant to be heard.

I had the HK in my previous X5 and in my Z4 35is I had the premium audio and both fall short compared to the B&O system.

What good is the Ultimate Driving Machine if you can't crank up the tunes to 11!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 11:44 AM   #44
mhsmhs
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: X5,3.0D

I agree, 100%

I have new X5 with BO since yesterday, and i have fresh comparasion between HK. When I play something from Tidal, BO is clear, perfect, there us every detail.

Last 4 months before delivering I had 535i with HK. It is realy about more than little difference, I know, it is also about money, but if you like music and if you have good source, go for it!!!

Btw. My last car was X6(2011) with individual sound (maximum what was in bmw pricelist in 2011) , it was great, but BO now is better. Big step forward...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessler35is View Post
I've had both systems in an X5.

The B&O is hands down better.

For everyone that is complaining about the lack of Bass I would suggest that you make sure you are using quality media. Don't expect to get great audio from crappy MP3's or from a bluetooth connection.

Either rip your music into the system from an original CD or make sure you get a high quality file like FLAC.

Also, just because you plug into the USB doesn't mean you will get better quality. If the source file is of low quality like 128 bps than you are missing a lot of data in the music and that is how low bitrate MP3's work. They drop out "un-needed" highs and lows to save space and compress the dead space.

My favorite quality of the B&O is the complete lack of distortion or overdrive. The highs stay crisp, the S's and P's do not hiss or pop and the lows do not fade out or get the feeling you are overdriving the subs. This comes from quality speakers and good magnets that can reset the speaker quicker.

There are songs that the HK can not handle that I have played on both and on the B&O plays it like it was meant to be heard.

I had the HK in my previous X5 and in my Z4 35is I had the premium audio and both fall short compared to the B&O system.

What good is the Ultimate Driving Machine if you can't crank up the tunes to 11!!!
Appreciate 0