BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-13-2016, 08:33 PM   #1
Newbie-mer
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i

2017 BMWs - Apple Carplay

All,

I understand the 2017's are starting to get delivered. Has anyone tried out Apple Carplay in the BMW's and is there any feedback on it? Is it worth getting a 2017 over instead of a 2016 deal?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 05:47 AM   #2
tnikolov
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40d,Porsche 911 Turbo S

I haven't tried Apple CarPlay in a BMW cause mine is 2014 and has NBT, so I can't really answer your question. But I do have an Apple CarPlay in my Porsche and I must say I'm rather disappointed. The NBT is far greater infotainment system than the Apple CarPlay actually is. Being an Apple fan in general I expected much more of this thing, but it's practically useless. It will only work if your phone is connected by wire. You can only use 7 apps, out of which there are 2 for music, which leaves only 5 apps available. Messages are pointless too, only Siri can read them (you can't see the text yourself), neither can you type - only dictate. Apple Maps is also useless, as the Porsche display is rather small and when navigating, it kinda eats half the display for showing irrelevant information.

It's also buggy and sometimes even if I wire my phone, CarPlay won't start.

I wouldn't be paying an upgrade for that... just my $0.02
Retired - 2011 F10 550i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 06:00 AM   #3
sward
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: i7 xDrive60

Garage List
2023 BMW i7  [0.00]
I believe it will be wireless in BMW. I'm getting it in my new X5 M50D that I'm about to order. I found this post:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1274078&page=3
i7 xDrive60 -23 Sold: iX -22, X5MC -20 (F95), X5M50d -19 (G05), X5M50d -17 (F15), X5M50d -14 (F15), 116d -13 (F20), X5 3.0D -10 (E70), M3 -10 (E93), 320DX -10 (E91), 320D -08 (E91), X3 30D -07 (E83), 335 -07 (E92), 325 -05 (E90), 320 -02 (E46), 318 -00 (E46), 320 -93 (E36), 318 -89 (E30)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 06:36 AM   #4
tnikolov
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40d,Porsche 911 Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sward View Post
I believe it will be wireless in BMW. I'm getting it in my new X5 M50D that I'm about to order. I found this post:

Well, I've based my info on this:

Quote:
Wireless CarPlay

Since iOS 9, Apple has supported wireless CarPlay implementations. Nearly all CarPlay setups require an iPhone to be plugged in directly to the in-dash system to connect, but wireless CarPlay alleviates the need for a Lightning cable, allowing an iPhone to connect to an in-car system wirelessly.

There are no current implementations of wireless CarPlay, as Apple appears to be keeping the feature under wraps for now. Volkswagen had planned to show off an upcoming wireless CarPlay setup at the 2016 Consumer Electronics Show, but was prevented from doing so by Apple.
http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/car...reless_carplay
Retired - 2011 F10 550i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 07:23 AM   #5
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sward

I have been reliably advised by BMW UK (via my dealer who asked the specific question) that with iDrive 5 the connection is wireless.

This is further supported by the fact the X5 enhanced Bluetooth function no longer included a cradle but instead the wireless charging sleeve.

I added the enhanced Bluetooth (w/wireless charging) to my order at the last minute. The car is now built so once it arrives in the UK I'll let you know the result! Not even sure CarPlay is worth it, I waiting for a MY17 for the Sport Plus pack and idrive updates.
      08-16-2016, 11:35 AM   #6
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG_M50d View Post
I have been reliably advised by BMW UK (via my dealer who asked the specific question) that with iDrive 5 the connection is wireless.

This is further supported by the fact the X5 enhanced Bluetooth function no longer included a cradle but instead the wireless charging sleeve.

I added the enhanced Bluetooth (w/wireless charging) to my order at the last minute. The car is now built so once it arrives in the UK I'll let you know the result! Not even sure CarPlay is worth it, I waiting for a MY17 for the Sport Plus pack and idrive updates.
MarkG_M50d Would be REALLY interested to know when you get your new baby how the wireless charge and iDrive 5 works out.
When is it due to arrive?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 12:34 AM   #7
Newbie-mer
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i

Wondering if there is any more feedback on Carplay vs. Regular iDrive? About to put in an order and wondering if it is a good option!

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 09:44 AM   #8
spike5150
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG_M50d View Post
Too bad iPhone does not support wireless charging
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 09:54 AM   #9
EzioS
DUPLOmat
Germany
Rep
Drives: G05

Too bad - at least in Germany - the AppleCarPlay option is only doable with the entire Navigation package (around 3k Euro), doesn't make sense really to me, but hey such is life!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 10:29 AM   #10
martinblank
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 | 2017 X5

I have a 2017 x5 and have played with carplay a bit.

Carplay is indeed wireless.

Impressions:
Carplay works well, however for general driving I prefer the builtin idrive 5.

Setup:
Connect the iPhone to the car via carplay when you set up the initial connection. You can then go back to the "manage devices" and switch between idrive and carplay as you like. If you initially connect via idrive sometimes it will not allow you to switch to carplay (at least I was having this issue).

Carplay functionality:
Carplay does what you see in the videos. You get the apple icons in two rows, and home screens of apps you can switch between (just like on the iPhone). Enabling carplay disables all builtin idrive functions on the steering wheel (except volume, and vehicle controls like cruise control). Carplay itself can be used with the idrive controller, although not very well as it's designed for a touch interface. Touch works well and just like you would expect (like a large iPhone).

Telephone: Steering wheel controls will no longer display list of contacts. It will say "phone via carplay" Pressing the phone button on the steering wheel or on the idrive controller will bring you to the phone function within carplay.

Navigation: Pressing the map or navigation button the idrive controller will bring you directly to apple maps within carplay.

Messaging: works like you would image. It will let you know when you get a message. Responding is primarily done through siri.

Media:
the media button on the idrive controller brings up music within carplay. Is a simplified version of the music app from the phone.

Overall:
I generally prefer the idrive interface for normal driving. Touching the screen is a pain in the ass when driving and much more annoying than resting your arm on the armrest and having your hand naturally positioned for the controller. Steering wheel controls work better for normal driving with idrive vs carplay. For example, making a call involves scrolling, and selecting a name. Carplay involves a few more steps. Also a number of carplay apps are already integrated into idrive (pandora for example). Voice control works equally well for both interfaces.

Carplay works well for longer drives, when having access to messages comes in handy. I imagine as carplay functionality is expanded, more and better features will tip the scales in favor of carplay.

Overall carplay is a nice feature to have if you are part of the apple ecosystem, however I would not rate it as it currently is as a must have. Part of this is due to the refinement of functionality in BMW's idrive system, and part of it is due to the completeness of features offered by BMW. If I were driving a ford (or a less well optioned car) for example, I would say carplay is a must have feature and would use it as the primary interface.

Slightly off topic: Wireless charging works well. I used a wireless charging pad inserted into a std apple case. Causes a slight bulge. Sometimes people have issues with aligning the phone and wireless charger pad, however in the car I did not run into any issues when using the cradle. Every time I put the phone in it buzzed letting me know it was charging. With that being said, I still prefer wired charging. The builtin power port (with proper 12v usb) in the armrest and center console charge much faster than wireless and don't cause the phone to get hot. This is an issue with wireless charging as a whole and not a ding on BMW's implementation.

TL;DR
Carplay is nice (and wireless), idrive 5 is nicer (and generally prefer). Would rate carplay as a nice feature but not a must have in current form (may change with updated carplay features). Wireless charging works well.

Last edited by martinblank; 09-28-2016 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 3
      10-01-2016, 08:51 AM   #11
zuschnell
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 m5, '18 991.2 gt3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinblank
I have a 2017 x5 and have played with carplay a bit.

Carplay is indeed wireless.

Impressions:
Carplay works well, however for general driving I prefer the builtin idrive 5.

Setup:
Connect the iPhone to the car via carplay when you set up the initial connection. You can then go back to the "manage devices" and switch between idrive and carplay as you like. If you initially connect via idrive sometimes it will not allow you to switch to carplay (at least I was having this issue).

Carplay functionality:
Carplay does what you see in the videos. You get the apple icons in two rows, and home screens of apps you can switch between (just like on the iPhone). Enabling carplay disables all builtin idrive functions on the steering wheel (except volume, and vehicle controls like cruise control). Carplay itself can be used with the idrive controller, although not very well as it's designed for a touch interface. Touch works well and just like you would expect (like a large iPhone).

Telephone: Steering wheel controls will no longer display list of contacts. It will say "phone via carplay" Pressing the phone button on the steering wheel or on the idrive controller will bring you to the phone function within carplay.

Navigation: Pressing the map or navigation button the idrive controller will bring you directly to apple maps within carplay.

Messaging: works like you would image. It will let you know when you get a message. Responding is primarily done through siri.

Media:
the media button on the idrive controller brings up music within carplay. Is a simplified version of the music app from the phone.

Overall:
I generally prefer the idrive interface for normal driving. Touching the screen is a pain in the ass when driving and much more annoying than resting your arm on the armrest and having your hand naturally positioned for the controller. Steering wheel controls work better for normal driving with idrive vs carplay. For example, making a call involves scrolling, and selecting a name. Carplay involves a few more steps. Also a number of carplay apps are already integrated into idrive (pandora for example). Voice control works equally well for both interfaces.

Carplay works well for longer drives, when having access to messages comes in handy. I imagine as carplay functionality is expanded, more and better features will tip the scales in favor of carplay.

Overall carplay is a nice feature to have if you are part of the apple ecosystem, however I would not rate it as it currently is as a must have. Part of this is due to the refinement of functionality in BMW's idrive system, and part of it is due to the completeness of features offered by BMW. If I were driving a ford (or a less well optioned car) for example, I would say carplay is a must have feature and would use it as the primary interface.

Slightly off topic: Wireless charging works well. I used a wireless charging pad inserted into a std apple case. Causes a slight bulge. Sometimes people have issues with aligning the phone and wireless charger pad, however in the car I did not run into any issues when using the cradle. Every time I put the phone in it buzzed letting me know it was charging. With that being said, I still prefer wired charging. The builtin power port (with proper 12v usb) in the armrest and center console charge much faster than wireless and don't cause the phone to get hot. This is an issue with wireless charging as a whole and not a ding on BMW's implementation.

TL;DR
Carplay is nice (and wireless), idrive 5 is nicer (and generally prefer). Would rate carplay as a nice feature but not a must have in current form (may change with updated carplay features). Wireless charging works well.
Agree with everything in this post. idrive 5.0 works so well that CarPlay is a bit of step back. It works fine but there aren't shortcuts we are used to using in idrive built into it yet. I'm sure they will come. Everything works well in CarPlay but I find idrive easier. If you want everything to be voice controlled than Siri integration with CarPlay is worth it. If you like using the control knob in idrive and steering wheel controls than idrive is easier. I'm looking forward to CarPlay updates in the future as I'm sure it will eventually be superior, but not quite there yet.

Current: ?13 e92 m3 ESS 585, 22 f95 x5m Comp, Track - '18 manual 991.2 GT3, Wife's family truckster - '20 Volvo XC90 T8
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 02:43 AM   #12
WillieMaykit
Rep
n/a
Drives:

This guy provides a decent overview of Apple CarPlay. Personally I am not sold on it. If Apple increases the functionality, particularly outside of the US, I might option it in on the next car but right now, 95% of the functions can be done via iDrive voice control button triggering Siri e.g. "Read my last message"

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 08:35 AM   #13
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Am getting used to it, like it, would purchase again
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 12:55 PM   #14
Buckerine
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Have it and love it. Specifically got a '17 for CarPlay. If you use Apple products and services quite a bit, you'll like the integration. The wireless implementation on the BMWs is fantastic. Siri is actually semi-useful with CarPlay now. Browsing Apple Music is super easy and, of course, navigation is great too. Wouldn't get the car without it, even if the functionality is limited at this point.

But, I should also mention that idrive 5.0 is a nice step up and I'm sure it works well. The voice commands in my limited use worked much better than on our previous X5.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 01:41 PM   #15
golovko
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW G80 M3C - IOMG/KO

I have CarPlay on our 2017 X5 40e, here are my thoughts:

If you use Spotify:
Since Spotify can't ever seem to auto-resume when you get back in the car and always requires restarting the app from your phone, CarPlay allows you to do this from the iDrive interface without having to take the phone out of your pocket

The BMW Spotify integration over USB has far more features than Spotify through CarPlay but requires you to plugin

The iDrive 5.0 navigation is far better than Apple Maps through CarPlay. I don't mean accuracy but this is really an uneven fight. iDrive navigation is offline and fully integrated into the car. Apple Maps requires internet connectivity and even then can be slow to load maps and zoom levels.

Siri integration is no different than previous iDrive versions that supported hands-free Siri. It is just as useful, the only difference is you now see the Siri prompt screen through iDrive instead of just the audio prompt as before

Overall, I would recommend Apple CarPlay for the simple fact that you can switch between audio apps through iDrive without having to pull your phone out and switch sources. For example: if you switch between Apple Music and Spotify, or on road trips want to switch between something like Audible and Spotify.
2017 BMW X5 40e M-Sport - Gone
2015 BMW M3 - Gone - ED Pickup June 2nd, 2015
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 02:02 PM   #16
Meast
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
I have CarPlay on our 2017 X5 40e, here are my thoughts:

If you use Spotify:
Since Spotify can't ever seem to auto-resume when you get back in the car and always requires restarting the app from your phone, CarPlay allows you to do this from the iDrive interface without having to take the phone out of your pocket

The BMW Spotify integration over USB has far more features than Spotify through CarPlay but requires you to plugin

The iDrive 5.0 navigation is far better than Apple Maps through CarPlay. I don't mean accuracy but this is really an uneven fight. iDrive navigation is offline and fully integrated into the car. Apple Maps requires internet connectivity and even then can be slow to load maps and zoom levels.

Siri integration is no different than previous iDrive versions that supported hands-free Siri. It is just as useful, the only difference is you now see the Siri prompt screen through iDrive instead of just the audio prompt as before

Overall, I would recommend Apple CarPlay for the simple fact that you can switch between audio apps through iDrive without having to pull your phone out and switch sources. For example: if you switch between Apple Music and Spotify, or on road trips want to switch between something like Audible and Spotify.
You don't have to plug in to use Spotify in iDrive 5.0. It should be accessible in Media. If it's not there check the Connected Drive section and it should be listed.

The BMW Connected NA app can also be used as a source, but it's better to stream it imo.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 04:29 PM   #17
golovko
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meast View Post
You don't have to plug in to use Spotify in iDrive 5.0. It should be accessible in Media. If it's not there check the Connected Drive section and it should be listed.

The BMW Connected NA app can also be used as a source, but it's better to stream it imo.
Oh interesting, so you mean to tell me I can use the BMW Spotify interface and not the CarPlay one without the USB connection?

I assume I do need to have spotify open and streaming though on the phone? (That is the advantage of CarPlay if so)
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 07:08 PM   #18
Buckerine
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
What specifically do you think makes iDrive nav "far better" than Apple Maps, other than the offline availability. Constant internet connectivity is not really an issue in this day and age in most metropolises. If I had one complaint about Apple Maps in CarPlay, it'd be that it's difficult to zoom in and out. But, other than that, it works well. And asking Siri to get directions to some random store all works so seamlessly.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 10:29 PM   #19
golovko
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckerine View Post
What specifically do you think makes iDrive nav "far better" than Apple Maps, other than the offline availability. Constant internet connectivity is not really an issue in this day and age in most metropolises. If I had one complaint about Apple Maps in CarPlay, it'd be that it's difficult to zoom in and out. But, other than that, it works well. And asking Siri to get directions to some random store all works so seamlessly.
Don't get me wrong, I really like Apple Maps on my Phone and I can see it being far superior in most cars to whatever 'junk' the auto industry passes off as navigation these days. But compared to iDrive, I much prefer the iDrive system.

Much faster load times, zooming, etc. This is partially due to offline maps. Even with full LTE bars it still isn't very smooth/fluid in loading the map with Apple CarPlay

Better integration with the HUD

Real-time traffic re-routing

Multi-destination

For whatever reason, Apple Maps defaults to a full view of the USA instead of zoomed in on my location (possibly just a bug?)

Better points of interest display (charge stations, fuel, etc)

Full screen display. This maybe just an option I can't find but Apple CarPlay does not display across the full screen, the right split screen area is left unused. iDrive does use up the full screen for map when the spit screen view isn't open.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 12:03 PM   #20
ano0oj
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 AWD, '23 Macan S

What are the added features with Apple Carplay?

The standard bluetooth connectivity has been great for me especially since Siri works - not sure how much more Carplay has to offer me
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 12:37 PM   #21
golovko
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ano0oj View Post

The standard bluetooth connectivity has been great for me especially since Siri works - not sure how much more Carplay has to offer me
Direct interaction with supported apps. It is basically a 2nd screen of your iPhone with limited app support.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 09:41 PM   #22
Buckerine
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ano0oj View Post

Siri works much better for me with CarPlay than without. Yes, it still works, but it has trouble figuring out when I've stopped talking for some reason. With CarPlay, Siri works nearly flawlessly.

If you use Apple Music, you'll love the interface in CarPlay. And Apple Maps is better for points of interest and directions, although it doesn't tie into the HUD if you like that sort of thing.
Appreciate 0