BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-05-2016, 04:48 AM   #1
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

X5 25d verses 40e

Hi folks, we about to upgrade our X3 to probably an X5 , based in Ireland we have a 2nd tax applies on top of the normal one 21% VAT, so an extra 25% tax linked directly to Co2, so a total of around 40% tax
Most of X5 here are sold as commercial to avoid the 2nd tax, this option is not for us! Hence looking into 25d or 40e both comes at the same starting price yet when I look at the stats the 40e comes across as the best option specially the X5 is for my wife and family weekends car, her daily journey to work is 6 miles, on our 2011 X3 is at only 37,000 miles (60000 km) in 5 years, my initial conclusion was to go for the Petrol hybrid version, since diesel make only sense when doing high mileage, and the e40 power is far to my liking.

But the advice I am getting from the sales rep is to stick to the 25d i.e. diesel, any of you folks had the same dilemma, having to make the choice? is 40e concept too early to grab.
Note our X3 was one of the 1st out of the chain, hence a proper lemon, and for sure last thing we want is another bad experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 07:15 AM   #2
karoshi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 40e

Take the 40e if the price is the same.
Besides the pricing you'll get a more snappy car with the 40e and lower fuel costs as your wife will practically drive full electric to work the entire time.
Invest in a charging station at home and you are good to go.

Don't know (but curious) why the sales rep is trying to offload a 25d as in my opinion these don't even play in the same league.

I'm loving my 40e and wouldn't want to go back to a diesel engine. Even when the battery is fully depleted the engine in the 40e is still more than enough to surprise fellow motorists
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 08:53 AM   #3
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

The 40e is a no brainer here. My father just got one and just took it to Austria and back and had zero complaints.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 04:36 PM   #4
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Thanks Karosh for the feedback, I take it you have no issues considering this new to the X5, i.e. the Hybrid setup.
I am asking because our X3 had endless amount of issues being one of the 1st produced in 2011, we simply learned the hard way about going for new models, never again.
The dealer comment was more on the resell value later on, maybe this is Ireland specific, my main concern will be around reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karoshi View Post
Take the 40e if the price is the same.
Besides the pricing you'll get a more snappy car with the 40e and lower fuel costs as your wife will practically drive full electric to work the entire time.
Invest in a charging station at home and you are good to go.

Don't know (but curious) why the sales rep is trying to offload a 25d as in my opinion these don't even play in the same league.

I'm loving my 40e and wouldn't want to go back to a diesel engine. Even when the battery is fully depleted the engine in the 40e is still more than enough to surprise fellow motorists
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 01:51 AM   #5
karoshi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
Thanks Karosh for the feedback, I take it you have no issues considering this new to the X5, i.e. the Hybrid setup.
I am asking because our X3 had endless amount of issues being one of the 1st produced in 2011, we simply learned the hard way about going for new models, never again.
The dealer comment was more on the resell value later on, maybe this is Ireland specific, my main concern will be around reliability.
Had no issue so far with the car. A colleague of mine was not so lucky. Unfortunately this is still a piece of machinery. Something will eventually break. Whether it's your car or the one of your neighbor is totally random.

The X5 F15 platform is solid. The tech is new but so far only joy when you see the engine switching off.

Resale value always comes down to predictions. I believe that Europe / Ireland at one point will tax heavily on emission. In that case 40e is a safe bet. In Belgium a lot of the company cars are diesel powered. The government has started a crusade towards the Diesel engine stating they will tax Diesel to make it as expensive as petrol and will increase taxes even more to discourage people to buy diesel engines...

Another small anecdote: When I was selling my F11 a lot of potential buyers looked into a new F11 as well even when the new model is right around the corner. Sales reps are telling people it's a great deal etc... But they don't mention the hit you take when you buy a former model. It all comes down to what they can sell to you and quite honest it's their job to sell whether is the most interesting for them. Drive both cars and make a conclusion. With the mileage you are pointing out I won't doubt for a sec to get the 40e.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 12:14 PM   #6
Arctic Drifter
Soffpotatis
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92 6MT

We are planning to trade the Gran Tourer for a F15 25d.

We do need the "4UB Third row seats" so since 40e lacks that option we will go with the 25d instead :-(