Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
Cargo space
I thought I'd revive this just a little because I have some more info. I finally repopulated my new F16 with all the old junk from my E71. The rubber floor mats are the only things that I had put in right away.

I didn't buy a new cargo liner for the new car because I was crossing my fingers that the old one would fit. I put it in and it fit! Its the OEM BMW liner that I bought for my E70, then it moved to my E71 and now its in its new home in my F16.

So...the floor of the cargo area in an F16 is exactly the same as the E70/E71. I'm not sure if its the same as an F15 though since my liner has never graced the cargo floor of an F15. I would suspect its the same though.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 02:55 PM   #24
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja
My last car was an E71 X6 and I currently own an F16 X6. I have also owned an E70 X5 and an E53 X5. I had adaptive drive on the 70/71 and DHP on the F16. As you can see, I come from a breadth of practical real world experience of the X5+ (non M) line.

I loved my E53 and my E71 was even better. I moved out of my E70 35d to the E71 after only 1y. Coming out of the E53, the E70 just drove too 'big' for me. Also that 35d on a 6 speed xmission was absolutely horrendous for my driving style and daily routes.

Exterior:

First, commenting on the external styling is kind of pointless. It's very polarizing. I love it. If you are considering the car, you at least like it. Personally, I like the side view of the E71 better, but the front view of the F16 is better, especially when cloaked in its MSport garb.

Handling:

On the E71, Dynamic Performance Control (DPC/torque vectoring rear differential) was standard. It was not available on the E70 at all. The E71 was an all-around better handling car than the E70 by what I think is a wide margin. Since DPC is optional on both the F15 and F16 now, that handling difference gap is reduced but not closed. The shape of the car and its lower center of gravity makes the F16 seem more like a car that is smaller than its size. Not so much on the X5 front there.

Interior:

In the front, the E70 and E71 were exactly the same except: leather knee pads instead of wood trim on the center console, the windshield is raked farther forward making it closer to your face, and the seating position is a little lower. Those differences hold over to the F15/F16. However in the US, the F16 gets the added benefit of the LCD instrument panel (which is awesome!).

The F16 rear passenger compartment is improved over the E71. Everyone that I've transported in the back of my F16 has commented on the extra comfiness back there. The tallest that I've transported is only 5'10" though so YMMV. If you look at the dimensions provided by BMW, the rear head room of the F16 is exactly the same as the F15 and the leg room is better. The F16 is better than the E70 in both regards. I was tempted to take a nap when I sat back there for the first time.

Cargo space:

Being a packing Nazi, I know exactly how much stuff that I can cram into the back of a car. I almost never pack anything over the top of the back seats in any car because of the rear view being restricted. I was able to pack exactly the same amount of stuff in exactly the same configuration in my E70 and E71 (and more than my E53). This means that the space under the cargo cover is exactly the same. Having never packed an F15, I cannot do a valid comparison there, but my F16 holds the same amount of stuff as my E71. The only thing that I wasn't able to transport in my E71 that I wanted to was a TV in the upright position. To be fair, I wasn't able to do that in any of the Xs that I've owned. Besides the obvious luggage, I've transported rocks (so much that it made the car handle different), mulch, furniture, coolers, bikes, giant Costco runs, plywood (it has to be trimmed for width though, just like the X5s), full-length 2x4s and PVC pipe, etc. If you are a person that regularly transports stuff over the cargo cover extending all the way back to the hatch, you won't be happy with the cargo space. If not, you'll most likely be ok with it.

Downfalls:

One thing that I can come up with that is irksome is that the view from the rear view mirror is restricted. The F16 is even worse than the E71. You can see what you need to though (see whats directly behind you). I've adjusted by relying more on my side mirrors. That adjustment on my part has resulted in my having way less close calls in my E71 than in any car I've ever owned. I haven't owned my F16 long enough to say that the same holds true there, but with the added benefit of blind spot warning, I think I'll do better.

That's enough for a super-long post. If you have any Qs about anything, ask away.
Awesome review and comparison!!!!! Thank you. One added benefit for me is that X6 does not have rear viper because of trunk shape and that is awesome, restricted view sure over an X5 but when you drive in rain, snow, the rear window is dirty and the viper only cleans a part of it. I have an F15 now without DHP and I still miss my E71. Wife said NO, like she really said NO to another X6, so I went with the X5. Packing a baby carriage is a lot easier with an X5. Unless you are carrying a big baby carriage (it will still fit but you may need to dismantle it a bit) I'd go for it. People are very polarized about the looks. I prefer the exterior of an E71 but interrior and quietness of F16 way better. E71 offered more for the money in the sense that torque vectoring was standard, there was no M package until LCI which was anyways more of a partial M package, so not being available you also spend less money. Hope some of it made sense, gotta have some sleep today.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 02:58 PM   #25
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
I thought I'd revive this just a little because I have some more info. I finally repopulated my new F16 with all the old junk from my E71. The rubber floor mats are the only things that I had put in right away.

I didn't buy a new cargo liner for the new car because I was crossing my fingers that the old one would fit. I put it in and it fit! Its the OEM BMW liner that I bought for my E70, then it moved to my E71 and now its in its new home in my F16.

So...the floor of the cargo area in an F16 is exactly the same as the E70/E71. I'm not sure if its the same as an F15 though since my liner has never graced the cargo floor of an F15. I would suspect its the same though.
It is the same for the F15 as well . A few members who have had E70s previously used that, and it fit just fine.
      02-03-2015, 06:11 PM   #26
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

One thing I noticed, or maybe it is just an illusion of a the center console is the seat position of the X6 "sits" lower than the X5
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 10:24 PM   #27
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
Two interesting things I noticed - I've had a few E71s, then an E70X5M, back to an E71 now an X6M on order.

- I swear my E71 X6 w/Adaptive Drive (DHP) handled more confidently than my X5M
- Although the X6 has no rear wiper, it won't get as filthy or need one (unlike the X5). The aerodynamics don't create the same "dead spot" at the rear, so all the road cr*p doesn't stick to the back the same

One final one observation:

- The panoramic roof in the X5 is awesome. It just is. The X6 does feel more "closed in" with its humble "regular sunroof". As a result though, it does feel more "sports car" like.

(That said, X6 still my favourite car.... It's going to be tough to sell me into anything else ;p)

Last edited by NoPII; 02-03-2015 at 10:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 10:19 AM   #28
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairg View Post
- I swear my E71 X6 w/Adaptive Drive (DHP) handled more confidently than my X5M
- Although the X6 has no rear wiper, it won't get as filthy or need one (unlike the X5). The aerodynamics don't create the same "dead spot" at the rear, so all the road cr*p doesn't stick to the back the same

One final one observation:

- The panoramic roof in the X5 is awesome. It just is. The X6 does feel more "closed in" with its humble "regular sunroof". As a result though, it does feel more "sports car" like.

(That said, X6 still my favourite car.... It's going to be tough to sell me into anything else ;p)
I had AD in my E71 and now DHP in my F16. I think the handling in my E71 was better than my F16. Mostly in the high speed cornering department (ie, stupid moves). I'm having to do things a little slower. I think most of those issues come from the steering. I'm not entirely confident that I'll end up where I'm supposed to be.

Initially I had problems with the rear window of my E71 in the rain; a thorough RainX application did the trick. After a few days of rain in my F16, I can tell that I need to RainX up my new one. That's a rigorous job for a not-so-tall person.

The new sunroof is slightly larger than the old one, but not so noticeable. Also, the old sunroof cover was manual, but the F16 has an electric one. So luxurious! I'm still reaching up to close the sunroof cover.

To me, my E71 X6 was just driving joy. My F16 is close. However, the new interior trumps the E71 in every way.

Oh, and my new one is mineral white. This weekend I washed its really dirty self for the first time. No buckets, no soap, no drying (except the windows). It came out beautiful. I'm a happy camper.
Appreciate 0