X5Jouster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50I Msport

BMS tune for 50i concerns/troubles

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
not that this is all bad.

just had my Michelin pilot super sports installed on the msport 50i. great tires!

took the tune off when i brought it to the shop. ride home was pretty good with no issues.

tune has always been spot on and perfect. but before i reinstalled the tune, i turned the dials up 2 notches. i do have the Catback from GTHAUS.

so a few quick tests and for the remainder of the evening, in SPORT mode, anytime i went wide open throttle or close to it, at some point or some power output the car would limit the power to the wheels.
the yellow Traction control Light would flash, and i could feel the power to the wheels building slowly once the light stops flashing.

it feels like some sort of torque vectoring, or Clutch/Tranny protection feature. like the car didnt want all the power sent to the wheels immediately before it could be tamed to an acceptable threshold. i can almost swear the tires arent slipping? and that i have full grip, but the car is hesitant to unload the power. the downfalls of automatic transmission.

now when i go into SPORT+ mode, which disables ?Dynamic Traction?, the car seems alittle more accepting of the power. need to do more testing,

SO my hypothesis is, the ?Dynamic traction? control might be the power vectoring of the individual wheels, and in sport plus mode, this is shut off to let all the power go to the wheels however it want?

ranting little but if you get it, some input would be great...
      06-22-2015, 09:14 AM   #2
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I think all you are experiencing is just the normal behavior of the traction control system tune or no tune. The reason why you might be experiencing this more now is because you cranked up the tune to make more power and mainly because you have brand new tires installed. All tires comes with a coating on them which takes some time to burn off to reach maximum traction. Sport+ mode will engage DTC which will allow more wheel slip before cutting back power. I use to have to use DTC mode if i wanted maximum acceleration out of my 550. Normal mode cuts power down all the time (like you are experiencing) whenever I go WOT.

Alan
      06-22-2015, 09:47 AM   #3
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@X5Jouster , sounds that the car is limiting the power output due to the reading from the sensors on the wheels.
With sport+ it should let all hell comes loose though. Or you can just hold down the DSC button for a few seconds to disable it.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 09:58 AM   #4
bluelodge400
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 X5M-C, '19 Cayenne Turbo

I agree with both R33 and Alan. Maybe try turning the tune down by 1 notch and see what happens.

I have the same tune without any exhaust mods. I have turned up the tune by 1 notch and have not experienced any problems. Maybe 2 notches and the BMS really kicks in!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 10:50 AM   #5
X5Jouster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50I Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelodge400 View Post
I agree with both R33 and Alan. Maybe try turning the tune down by 1 notch and see what happens.

I have the same tune without any exhaust mods. I have turned up the tune by 1 notch and have not experienced any problems. Maybe 2 notches and the BMS really kicks in!
maybe i will remove and try +1 notch only. but with the +2 i can tell you it feels like all hell is about to break loose...but then BMW tells my car it cant have any fun...i will try some jaunts in SPORT+ and Sport with DSC turned off...

i can say i have no codes though so thats all good...why dont you try 2 to see if you can feel the immense increase again... from stock to +2 notches on the Tune feels like a bullet to an F22
      06-22-2015, 03:14 PM   #6
bluelodge400
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 X5M-C, '19 Cayenne Turbo

I'll adjust it this weekend to +2 and see what happens!
Appreciate 0