BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

09-11-2018, 10:33 AM   #1
goate
Private
Rep
Drives: Carbonblack F15 40d

water in footwell passenger side (and microfilter question)

I have searched the forums and found not much on the subject. Because of another thread here recently I decided to install dashcams (Blackvue) and run the wires properly across the floor.

While doing so I found the passenger footwell to be soaked. The carpet itself is dry to the touch, everything beneath it is very very wet. I replaced the air circulation filter the other day on the F15 and the interior filter on an F11. I recalled reading something about water damage so I pulled up the TIS documents and found this one:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...nance/1LfjIG2k

This clearly refers to a location underneath the dash on the passenger side. However this is how the F11 looks, the F15 is different. I also found this DIY (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1118673) which replaces the same (?) microfilter, but this time it's located under the hood.

Is there anyone that can shed some light on this subject?

If there is indeed any risk for water damage in the passenger footwell related to the microfilter, where should I look first? I obviously found the air recirculation filter but there nothing is out of the ordinary.
I have the microfilters for the F15 laying around, planning to change them when I change the oil in 2500km.

The car is still under warranty but I rather skip the visit to any dealer.

All help is appreciated!

== UPDATE

Having owned a fair share of BMW's I've already checked the door and it seems to be fine. This is however one of the few with a sunroof so I checked the drains and they are also fine.Water is everywhere but at least on the outside.

The car has 30.000km and is 1,5 year old so clogged drains or dried out seals/rubbers are anyway unlikely imo.

Last edited by goate; 09-11-2018 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: Edit: formatting / update
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 02:11 PM   #2
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by goate View Post
This is however one of the few with a sunroof so I checked the drains and they are also fine.Water is everywhere but at least on the outside.

The car has 30.000km and is 1,5 year old so clogged drains or dried out seals/rubbers are anyway unlikely imo.
When I had the problem with a leaking sunroof on a passenger side - everything was wet, from ceiling to carpet, including the seat and the glove box. So most probably you can rule out a sunroof. My car was a bit younger than yours at the time.
      09-11-2018, 02:19 PM   #3
goate
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDrivingManiac View Post
When I had the problem with a leaking sunroof on a passenger side - everything was wet, from ceiling to carpet, including the seat and the glove box. So most probably you can rule out a sunroof. My car was a bit younger than yours at the time.
Thanks, I guess so. If it wasn't for running the cables under the carpet I probably would not have noticed at all.
I'm letting it dry now, and see if and how it comes back.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 02:55 PM   #4
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Open the hood and check the drains in the corners under the windshield. Leafs and other debris collects there and clogs the drains, forcing rain water to seek other escape routes, potentially also damaging ECUs in the process.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 10:08 PM   #5
hacksics
Private
Sri Lanka
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40e M-Sports 2016

A search would give you the answer: here you go: https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1148683

To check if this is the case, turn on the AC and check if water is draining from two locations in under body. If not then possibly incorrectly fitted AC drain hose.

BMW has started to suck at everything while manufacturers in Korea have taken the lead in quality control
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 12:10 AM   #6
goate
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksics View Post
A search would give you the answer: here you go: https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1148683
Thanks, I have searched and I have indeed found that thread. However, in that case it's driver's side, where as in my case it is not. I assume both are LHD cars so unless you're saying there is a drain/connection on either side all I can do is check if the driver's side is wet. What would pose an entire different problem.

Could you clarify?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 02:13 AM   #7
goate
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Open the hood and check the drains in the corners under the windshield. Leafs and other debris collects there and clogs the drains, forcing rain water to seek other escape routes, potentially also damaging ECUs in the process.
I poured some water down the drains, it flows nicely and I can see it coming out on the outside. Assuming water would enter the cabin only if it accumulates somewhere where it shouldn't I think I can cross this one off as well. Thanks for the suggestion though!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 02:14 AM   #8
hacksics
Private
Sri Lanka
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I have searched and I have indeed found that thread. However, in that case it's driver's side, where as in my case it is not. I assume both are LHD cars so unless you're saying there is a drain/connection on either side all I can do is check if the driver's side is wet. What would pose an entire different problem.

Could you clarify?
Drain connections are in both sides: see here: https://www.etkbmw.com/bmw/EN/search...eX/ECE/64_2005

Part numbers for both left and right side.

My one was RHD and had driver side wet and picture posted is here is LHD and driver side wet on the other hand. So it depends to on the careless mechanics who fixed the drains at the factory.

There are some other cases like sunroof drain hose clogged etc.. but if there's no rain when you get this then most probably due to badly fixed drain hose.

Let us know if you find the root cause.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 03:11 AM   #9
goate
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksics View Post
Drain connections are in both sides: see here: https://www.etkbmw.com/bmw/EN/search...eX/ECE/64_2005

Part numbers for both left and right side.

My one was RHD and had driver side wet and picture posted is here is LHD and driver side wet on the other hand. So it depends to on the careless mechanics who fixed the drains at the factory.

There are some other cases like sunroof drain hose clogged etc.. but if there's no rain when you get this then most probably due to badly fixed drain hose.

Let us know if you find the root cause.
Excellent! I checked both sides (driver's footwell was dry, but still) and they seem to be connected just fine. I ran the car for a while with the AC on and the connections remained dry. Underneath the car however - on quick inspection - I could only see one spot where the condensation water is dripping out.

See attached pictures. What would/should be the other spot water should be draining from?

Last edited by goate; 09-12-2018 at 03:13 AM.. Reason: wrong image uploaded
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 09:47 AM   #10
goate
Private
Rep

So I dried the carpet with a heat-gun. Took me around half a day to get it nice and dry. Drove around for 1,5 day and just checked it again (AC is always on, especially now when it's warm). It's still dry. I'm 99% confident that the AC is not the culprit. Perhaps somebody can confirm the connections look ok?

There is rain expected for tonight and even though I poured water down all drains and didn't notice anything (even with the carpet lifted when I was drying it) I will check again later. For now I will just assume that the window perhaps was left open by me (although I do not remember any of it) or the previous owner.

If there is something worth mentioning I will update this thread. Thanks for chiming in!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 10:19 AM   #11
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
So I dried the carpet with a heat-gun. Took me around half a day to get it nice and dry. Drove around for 1,5 day and just checked it again (AC is always on, especially now when it's warm). It's still dry. I'm 99% confident that the AC is not the culprit. Perhaps somebody can confirm the connections look ok?

There is rain expected for tonight and even though I poured water down all drains and didn't notice anything (even with the carpet lifted when I was drying it) I will check again later. For now I will just assume that the window perhaps was left open by me (although I do not remember any of it) or the previous owner.

If there is something worth mentioning I will update this thread. Thanks for chiming in!
Thanks for the update. Hopefully it was just a window left open a crack by mistake and the problem is solved.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 06:40 AM   #12
goate
Private
Rep

Update.

It has been two weeks and while cleaning my car today I had a quick feel under the carpet (not the removable one). Didn't even have to lift it to know it's soaking again. We barely had any rain so I think that can be ruled out.

Could someone please confirm I've been looking at the right connectors and that they are indeed fitted correctly? If more pictures are needed I happily take a few more.

I'm running out of ideas so all suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 11:01 AM   #13
goate
Private
Rep

Another update.

I've taken out half the interior in hopes I'd gain more access to the drain:

It worked, a bit and I really hoped to find the smoking gun but I did not. The drain seems to be fine although there is no water underneath the car anymore, even with AC at MAX. The good news is that the drain remains dry as well. I guess it's something.

I'm lost. I'll admit defeat and hand over my car to the capable hands of the BMW mechanics. Good times, I'm sure.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 11:51 AM   #14
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
How about tube to the rear window washer? I've no idea where it goes, but it's another potential source of water in the cabin... I guess the easiest way to check - does your rear washer work?
      09-29-2018, 12:26 PM   #15
goate
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDrivingManiac View Post
How about tube to the rear window washer? I've no idea where it goes, but it's another potential source of water in the cabin... I guess the easiest way to check - does your rear washer work?
Nice suggestion! Yeah, it works just fine. Started using it only recently since I'd like to give the rear facing dashcam a proper view. I tried to determine the type of water and it's definitely not soapy or otherwise identifiable.

Not sure if it means anything but most water seems to collect in the corner closest to the door/outside of the car. So not close to the AC drain. I guess that doesn't mean anything though. I know how water travels through these carpets so probably this tells me more about the incline of our parking space than the leak.

Anyway, unless I come up with something else to check I'm going to the dealership on Monday.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 11:42 AM   #16
penet05
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 Sdrive35i, 2013 328i

I had a similar issue a few months ago. For two consecutive days it rained a lot. Vehicle was parked downhill. The next day passenger side was soaked. My windshield was recently changed and also there was possibility I might have damaged a tube in A-pillar when installing the dashcam. I took the vehicle to dealer. They said they checked everything and everything was fine except finding leaves in the small compartment in the engine bay that is close to the firewall. After that I never parked downhill outside, it rained a few times (not that severe for sure), but carpet has been dry so far.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 12:22 PM   #17
goate
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by penet05 View Post
I had a similar issue a few months ago. For two consecutive days it rained a lot. Vehicle was parked downhill. The next day passenger side was soaked. My windshield was recently changed and also there was possibility I might have damaged a tube in A-pillar when installing the dashcam. I took the vehicle to dealer. They said they checked everything and everything was fine except finding leaves in the small compartment in the engine bay that is close to the firewall. After that I never parked downhill outside, it rained a few times (not that severe for sure), but carpet has been dry so far.
Thanks for your post. I even checked historic weather data (we left for a week and the car was parked at the airport) but there was no rain. On top of that I washed my car by hand today as I normally do and paid close attention to the footwell with the carpet lifted. No sings of any leaking and I had to keep the passenger side continuously wet as there was a faint sunshine.
On my two hour drive today I checked the AC drain regularly as well as the vertical part of the carpet closest to the drain and again found nothing.
Checked the sunroof drain again as well as the water is closer to the outside of the car.

I'll update the thread if there is any news.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 09:20 PM   #18
hacksics
Private
Sri Lanka
Rep

Your best option would be get a thermal camera and find out the source. One user posted some pictures somewhere but I cannot remember.

BMW dealership might have thermal cameras
Appreciate 0