BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-28-2018, 04:09 PM   #1
Submariner2009
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

2014 X5/F15 — Extend CPO or not?

Friends,

I know this is a tired topic but I’d love some thoughts and insight on this question.

I have a 2014 X5, purchased as a CPO, with neatly 60,000 miles on it. Just went through a major maintenance (vehicle check, brakes etc) with no problems. Previously one owner, same dealer and was in perfect condition.

I do about 8K miles per year, 2/3 of the driving time is in city (less than 10 miles, stop and go traffic, potholes) and the other 1/3 highway. I purchased the five year wheel and tire insurance (live in the city with tons of potholes, have already cracked a rim BMW replaced so it’s 1/2 paid for in less than a year) and the 36 month maintenance package (knowing the brakes would need to be replaced within that timeframe, pretty much a wash in terms of cost).

Cost to add another 12 or 24 months is about $4K and $6K, respectively.

I’m on the fence, but leaning against it. I’ll probably keep this car for another 2 years, so add 15-20K miles during that time. I know CPO doesn’t cover basic wear and tear, or the audio/nag systems. I’m only thinking about it in terms of catastrophic repairs but recognize that setting $6K aside as a repair fund could be far cheaper in the end. Also realize that if I decide to make a change before it runs out, the pro-rating is over 60/72 months so you don’t really ever get all the unbused back.

Welcome thoughts and guidance, thanks, on the value and overall reliability of major issues that should impact my decision.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 08:56 PM   #2
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

Might be worth a little extra when you sell your car also. Personally I didn’t extend.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 08:34 AM   #3
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

I think the F15 is a solid platform, and don’t necessarily foresee the catastrophic failure that worries you.

My advice: take and save the money ($4 or $6K) you would put towards the CPO. If there is an issue, you have money set aside for the repair. If not, you can put the money saved towards your next car (or whatever).
Appreciate 0