Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Upgrade RSE (Rear seat entertainment)

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So back when we bought our X5 in 2016 right before kids we thought oh these screens will be great, we can play movies on long drives.

In retrospect, we should have skipped that option. Not that its available with the chip shortage right now, but when we ordered the X7 we would have left it off this time if it was an option. I love the comfort travel system in that car and that the power is right there.

That being said we have it and it has come in handy from time to time. The annoying part is the 2016 version is not HDMI, its only component, so we have a cable that runs off the iphone converting it down but I hate the setup.

So I am wondering two things, if I upgrade idrive to carplay through bimmertech can I mirror the front screen in the back or even go directly to the back screens wirelessly?

The second option and I don't know what is involved, can I upgrade my current RSE unit to the HDMI version? Is it just a headunit/dvd player switch or is it more involved?

Thanks!
      02-01-2022, 08:27 PM   #2
Johnkwick
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
So back when we bought our X5 in 2016 right before kids we thought oh these screens will be great, we can play movies on long drives.

In retrospect, we should have skipped that option. Not that its available with the chip shortage right now, but when we ordered the X7 we would have left it off this time if it was an option. I love the comfort travel system in that car and that the power is right there.

That being said we have it and it has come in handy from time to time. The annoying part is the 2016 version is not HDMI, its only component, so we have a cable that runs off the iphone converting it down but I hate the setup.

So I am wondering two things, if I upgrade idrive to carplay through bimmertech can I mirror the front screen in the back or even go directly to the back screens wirelessly?

The second option and I don't know what is involved, can I upgrade my current RSE unit to the HDMI version? Is it just a headunit/dvd player switch or is it more involved?

Thanks!
I'm still on my F10, lurking around this subforum because I'm planning to trade my F10 for F15.

Assuming the RSE in F10 and F15 are the same thing, have you considered to buy HDMI to RCA (Not the other way around!!) Converter?

I went with that route, and use Firestick/Chromecast/Xiaomi Mi Stick to play anything my wife/kid wants.

Mind you that the RSE only has 4:3 aspect ratio, but the blackbar is there to help you maintain the aspect ratio from 16:9, so the video won't be streched. The video quality is okay, but navigating through the menu can be hard because the menu is so dense so everything looks awful (at least for Xiaomi Mi Stick UI)

It's not the tidiest setup because you have to setup a RCA to RCA cable, power source for the converter and HDMI stick. You don't need a sophisticated converter, I bought a $3 converter that works
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 09:20 PM   #3
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep

Garage List
That's what I have now, it works but its not ideal, its bulky and you need to power the converter and also your phone (well you dont need to power the phone but I would want to since its streaming).

The Direct HDMI will have better resolution and I dont have to charge it. Ideal would be if I could get carplay to carry onto the back screens.
      02-02-2022, 06:29 AM   #4
Johnkwick
Private
Rep

Quote:
That's what I have now, it works but its not ideal, its bulky and you need to power the converter and also your phone (well you dont need to power the phone but I would want to since its streaming).

The Direct HDMI will have better resolution and I dont have to charge it. Ideal would be if I could get carplay to carry onto the back screens.
That's why I use Streaming Stick to stream anything, it's just one time setup, the power from the Stick is enough to power the converter. Route the HDMI power cable neatly and hide everything under the front passenger seat.

To answer your original question, I think yes it's possible to upgrade RSE to EVO RSE (I googled F10 RSE upgrade to EVO and someone did that). Streaming from front to rear using MMI Carplay/Android Auto which has screen mirroring capabilities? I don't think it's possible because the MMI will send the signal only to front display.

Other than that, a lot of streaming applications block the mirroring capability, so it will show you a black screen on your car screen. Plugging your phone into HDMI is a bit different from mirroring though and that's why you still see the video on the screen (think like plugging a projector into your phone).

I could think these 3 options for you:
- Upgrade your iDrive and RSE to EVO
- Upgrade your RSE to Android RSE
- Stick with current option and buy a Firestick/Chromecast/anything you like

Last edited by Johnkwick; 02-02-2022 at 06:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 08:28 AM   #5
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkwick View Post
That's why I use Streaming Stick to stream anything, it's just one time setup, the power from the Stick is enough to power the converter. Route the HDMI power cable neatly and hide everything under the front passenger seat.

To answer your original question, I think yes it's possible to upgrade RSE to EVO RSE (I googled F10 RSE upgrade to EVO and someone did that). Streaming from front to rear using MMI Carplay/Android Auto which has screen mirroring capabilities? I don't think it's possible because the MMI will send the signal only to front display.

Other than that, a lot of streaming applications block the mirroring capability, so it will show you a black screen on your car screen. Plugging your phone into HDMI is a bit different from mirroring though and that's why you still see the video on the screen (think like plugging a projector into your phone).

I could think these 3 options for you:
- Upgrade your iDrive and RSE to EVO
- Upgrade your RSE to Android RSE
- Stick with current option and buy a Firestick/Chromecast/anything you like
Thanks I have extra firestick's laying around, maybe I will try that this weekend. You use your phone as the hot spot right? How exactly are they both powered?
      02-02-2022, 08:37 AM   #6
Xolinlevh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 35d

Quote:
Thanks I have extra firestick's laying around, maybe I will try that this weekend. You use your phone as the hot spot right? How exactly are they both powered?
Firesticks usually get powered via the HDMI outlet, but if that doesnt give enough power, they have a USB cable to supplement it.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 09:02 AM   #7
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xolinlevh View Post
Firesticks usually get powered via the HDMI outlet, but if that doesnt give enough power, they have a USB cable to supplement it.
Yep, get that, I was wondering how he powered both the converter and the firestick together. If I have to power them separately it's the same problem I run into when I am using the converter with my iPhone.
      02-02-2022, 09:51 AM   #8
Johnkwick
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes you can use your phone as the hotspot. I'm using cheap portable hotspot device like Huawei 2.4GHz Portable WiFi and buy a simcard with 10GB plan which is super cheap

It's the other way around, my Mi Stick draws 5w from the power outlet and apparently it's sufficient to "pass" the signal through the converter hence no separate power cable needed for the converter. Will post another pic tomorrow

Last edited by Johnkwick; 02-02-2022 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 10:18 AM   #9
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkwick View Post
Yes you can use your phone as the hotspot. I'm using cheap portable hotspot device like Huawei 2.4GHz Portable WiFi and buy a simcard with 10GB plan which is super cheap

It's the other way around, my Mi Stick draws 5w from the power outlet and apparently it's sufficient to "pass" the signal through the converter hence no separate power cable needed for the converter. Will post another pic tomorrow
Ahh, that makes sense, I will try that with one of my extra firesticks this week.

That would make it easier.
      02-02-2022, 08:19 PM   #10
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep
Drives: BLACK 2015 528I

I have the same thing with the Roku stick but the quality of the converter sucks. I have seen that they do have an RCA Roku version that is hard to find since they no longer make them. You can also airplay phone on Roku. has anyone tried this setup? https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Express-.../dp/B01M2AJZ5P

Last edited by F15_SGM; 02-03-2022 at 01:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 11:44 AM   #11
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmansiddiqui95 View Post
I have the same thing with the Roku stick but the quality of the converter sucks. I have seen that they do have an RCA Roku version that is hard to find since they no longer make them. You can also airplay phone on Roku. has anyone tried this setup? https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Express-.../dp/B01M2AJZ5P
Yea i saw that but super expensive for what it is, especially since I have like 3 firesticks laying around. I am going to try one of the converters that powers the firestick, we will see how it goes.
      02-04-2022, 03:21 PM   #12
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep
Drives: BLACK 2015 528I

Quote:
Yea i saw that but super expensive for what it is, especially since I have like 3 firesticks laying around. I am going to try one of the converters that powers the firestick, we will see how it goes.
Yes, it's overpriced that's why I haven't bought it.