FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler99 View Post
Received my MPBK kit! - the boxes are freakin' heavy

Brembo calipers are huge and look really nice!!

Going to try to install in the next few days, looking forward to the increase in braking performance. Stock brakes are shot and not that great to begin with.

Anybody have a DIY write up on this? I can probably figure it out, just might save me some time...Thanks

Attachment 2563668
Nice. Just answered my previous question. The M performance brakes are different than the M Sport. Big difference in that these are Brembo and what the X5M has.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 03:38 PM   #112
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

Follow the official EBA to install them and make sure to do the coding as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 04:28 PM   #113
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalinP View Post
Follow the official EBA to install them and make sure to do the coding as well.
Would you know what the coding does? As per the tech at the dealer I went to, the guy who worked on it said it wasn't needed, but he'll do it, if I wanted it. He seems to be highly rated by BMW from what I can tell…said the settings were minor adjustments for ABS and DSC but no real difference. Also, in my short drives over 2 days, I have noticed improved performance from the brakes. So curious what the coding does.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 04:33 PM   #114
CatalinP
Major
Rep

BMW says coding needs to be done. What is further to discuss?
Appreciate 2
Maverik2594140.00
      03-27-2021, 04:51 PM   #115
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Gotcha. In general, I like to know what the modification is doing rather than just following along. The tech did a good job of explaining the differences. But yeah, I agree all things equal doing the coding can't harm. I was just curious about people seeing drastic improvements before and after coding and it was explained that it is not possible since the changes are very minor for any real-world difference.

But, yes one should code it. I still might in a few weeks of driving it without coding. But overall, a nice upgrade!

For those considering the MPBK upgrade, a couple other points that were made to me:

1. I had asked about using drilled/slotted rotors - was told they make more noise, dust more, and wear out the pads faster. But obviously are better in wet conditions (not sure of others)

2. Best option for pads is to use ceramic pads (don't recall why and where I could get them, it was too late for that for me in any case)

The biggest difference I am seeing is once the brakes bite, it stops very fast. Prior to this, even with a new set of brakes (which was done as part of my CPO process), I used to roll at a faster speed in stop-and-go-traffic unless I really put my foot down. Now, it just stops better. Once I get it coded, I'll see what else improves. So far, no issue with brake padel travel/mushiness or noise as some have reported pre-coding. I have none of that.

It's expensive, but I am glad I got it. It's also covered under factory warranty and maintenance programs.

Last edited by FCX5; 03-28-2021 at 06:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 04:06 PM   #116
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffrey View Post
Quote:
Gotcha. In general, I like to know what the modification is doing rather than just following along. The tech did a good job of explaining the differences. But yeah, I agree all things equal doing the coding can't harm. I was just curious about people seeing drastic improvements before and after coding and it was explained that it is not possible since the changes are very minor for any real-world difference.

But, yes one should code it. I still might in a few weeks of driving it without coding. But overall, a nice upgrade!

For those considering the MPBK upgrade, a couple other points that were made to me:

1. I had asked about using drilled/slotted rotors - was told they make more noise, dust more, and wear out the pads faster. But obviously are better in wet conditions (not sure of others)

2. Best option for pads is to use ceramic pads (don't recall why and where I could get them, it was too late for that for me in any case)

The biggest difference I am seeing is once the brakes bite, it stops very fast. Prior to this, even with a new set of brakes (which was done as part of my CPO process), I used to roll at a faster speed in stop-and-go-traffic unless I really put my foot down. Now, it just stops better. Once I get it coded, I'll see what else improves. So far, no issue with brake padel travel/mushiness or noise as some have reported pre-coding. I have none of that.

It's expensive, but I am glad I got it. It's also covered under factory warranty and maintenance programs.
It's in the actual thread that covers this several times. But yes it's supposed to increase fluid pressure to accommodate for the increased amount of piston surface area. Don't do it if you don't think you need to.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 04:12 PM   #117
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Going to try to install in the next few days, looking forward to the increase in braking performance. Stock brakes are shot and not that great to begin with.

Anybody have a DIY write up on this? I can probably figure it out, just might save me some time...Thanks

Attachment 2563668
Nice. Just answered my previous question. The M performance brakes are different than the M Sport. Big difference in that these are Brembo and what the X5M has.
NEver heard of m sport brakes just M Performance.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 06:49 PM   #118
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Attachment 2563668
NEver heard of m sport brakes just M Performance.
You're right. Does not apply to X5. My bad.

As for the coding. The guy who coded my car also works for BMW as a software developer. I was aware of the thread on MPBK coding and what the tech told me. He also confirmed that coding was not necessary. Anyway, I can always get it done. Today it rained a lot here and again, very impressed with the brakes. I can't hear any squeal anymore, not today at least.

A little bit of dust yesterday, but I was expecting a lot worse. The tech said there is some sort of a dust shield, but not sure what that means in terms of reducing dust…
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 11:37 AM   #119
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
I was told all that the coding does is to optimize the ABS, DSC and driver-aid settings but the change makes almost no difference in overall performance [between coding and no coding] - on a 50i at least. There is no difference in brake feel or braking ability. I am getting my MPBK installed by a dealer as I write this. The tech installing it also has the same brakes on his F15. I am thinking of getting the MPE next based on how it sounds on his F15 50i when I pick up mine later today.
Maybe its different on the V8's since i think they come with larger brakes than the I6 engined cars. on my 35i there was a massive difference in brake feel before coding and afterwards. It was so bad right after install i thought there was air in the lines and went right back to the shop. Once coding was done all went back to normal. I think the stock 35i brakes were alot smaller so the system had to increase pressure to accommodate the much larger calipers from the MPBK.
      03-29-2021, 11:44 AM   #120
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Maybe its different on the V8's since i think they come with larger brakes than the I6 engined cars. on my 35i there was a massive difference in brake feel before coding and afterwards. It was so bad right after install i thought there was air in the lines and went right back to the shop. Once coding was done all went back to normal. I think the stock 35i brakes were alot smaller so the system had to increase pressure to accommodate the much larger calipers from the MPBK.
You are 100% accurate. On a 35i, you must get it coded. It was told to me that the dealer would not install it without coding on the 35i. On the 50i it is recommended but not necessary...owners call.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 11:44 AM   #121
CatalinP
Major
Rep

Stop spreading this nonsense about coding not needed!
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      03-29-2021, 11:55 AM   #122
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Stop spreading this nonsense about coding not needed!
No idea who you are, but I just reported what was told to me by the tech at the dealer I got it installed. Even BMW says "recommended" not '"required". I have been driving my car for 3 days now, around 75 miles in total and the brakes are undoubtedly better. No squishy pedals, no squeaks (similar to what I had before) or noise. In fact, the brake dust is lower than I expected. There isn't must dust at all!

I also said I might get mine coded. It is included in the price of the brake installation. I got mine installed by a BMW dealer, not an indy shop. They have no reason to not do it if it is required.

Also, if I recall correctly you were warning people not to get full-screen carPlay etc and that it would mess up your car or warranty or whatever. That is nonsense IMHO.

I work in the software industry and have been doing this for a long time now. I have a good idea of what is and what isn't.

OK. if you install the MPBK, you should get it coded, especially if you have the 35i. If you go to a dealer, they will only do the install if you code it.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 12:05 PM   #123
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

If you don't code for the proper brake kit it is going to feel like you're stepping on a wet sponge. The brake kit will not function as designed and may be a potential safety hazard.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 12:16 PM   #124
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
If you don't code for the proper brake kit it is going to feel like you're stepping on a wet sponge. The brake kit will not function as designed and may be a potential safety hazard.
Yes. Please code. But it does not feel like a wet sponge. I can 100% guarantee that. Safety hazard, possible since coding optimizes the DSC and ABS system.

I might get mine coded as well, but I wanted to see what it was like without coding. I am not seeing any issues at this point. Brakes are better than before...not squeaking and not mushy. Also, bite is nice and strong. Once I get to 125 miles, I'll try some harder braking to see.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 03:03 PM   #125
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

I have test driven it both ways and it absolutely is a safety hazard. The pedal travel is much further before the calipers bite the rotor. Your braking distance and timing will be effected along with ABS/DSC etc. The long and short of it is if you're spending this kind of money on a brake kit then code it to get the most out of it. If you're doing it for looks then just buy those ghetto "bremBRO"caliper covers and not put others on the road at risk or the occupants.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 04:33 PM   #126
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
I have test driven it both ways and it absolutely is a safety hazard. The pedal travel is much further before the calipers bite the rotor. Your braking distance and timing will be effected along with ABS/DSC etc. The long and short of it is if you're spending this kind of money on a brake kit then code it to get the most out of it. If you're doing it for looks then just buy those ghetto "bremBRO"caliper covers and not put others on the road at risk or the occupants.
I'll get mine coded next week when I get the CF front splitter and rear spoiler installed by the dealer and will report if I see any changes. I 100% did it for the braking performance. I have never installed less than OEM quality products for looks on any car I have ever owned (not even the smallest trim) so BremBRO is likely not something I would consider. But to each his own...

The front rotors and calipers in the 19-inch rims look pretty impressive. It basically fills the whole wheel making the calipers look even bigger!

Still surprised by the lack of excessive dust.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      04-03-2021, 11:24 AM   #127
Trauma
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 M

On the 2016 X5M, only the front brakes are M Performance? Can you just upgrade the rear?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 11:37 AM   #128
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma View Post
On the 2016 X5M, only the front brakes are M Performance? Can you just upgrade the rear?
I believe there is a thread here on how to do a Brembo upgrade which includes both the front and rear. I suppose you could leave your rears as is and just do the rear brakes as described in the thread.

As for dust, yes, it dusts more than the OEM brakes, but it's a great trade-off for the better braking.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 09:57 AM   #129
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma View Post
I believe there is a thread here on how to do a Brembo upgrade which includes both the front and rear. I suppose you could leave your rears as is and just do the rear brakes as described in the thread.

As for dust, yes, it dusts more than the OEM brakes, but it's a great trade-off for the better braking.
I have been driving for around 1 weeks with the new brakes. First without coding and now with coding. I don't experience any difference since the pedals always felt like a Sports brake in that it bites fast and brakes the car faster. I have noticed that these brakes are a big improvement to me in DD because of how the pedals feel and the bite.

I did a few hard braking tests both with and without coding. Again, no difference that I can tell in dry weather. However, the limitation is likely my tires vs calipers at this point.

Overall, looks great and makes the car easier to drive in city and everyday. It is an expensive option if you include the parts, install and the brake flush etc. They guy who did mine at the dealer also has the same car and had done it on several others as well so the experience probably helped.

Now getting the M Performance CF done inside and out. Only thing I am not doing now is the MP alcantara steering wheel since I don't want to lose the heating and I don't want a 3rd party wrap etc.
Appreciate 0