BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-14-2016, 10:28 AM   #23
sid369
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: RAV4

Yeah, I do feel like for it feel more luxury you need to add option and the sticker price keep going up. The GLE in sport mode is fine, but I do feel like you have to push that vehicle to get going. On the X5, I did not get that feeling, but I was also expecting it to go like how the 3 series did for me, but I am coming around the idea that its a big car and with the weight etc. it will have a different driving feel to it.

What would the adaptive M suspension do exactly. I am not even sure if I am getting the M package.

Mt laurel is defiantly in the 1 hour radius, but with the X50, wouldn't that throw it off a little bit as it is more powerful to begin with?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 12:33 PM   #24
bluenote98
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
Yeah, I do feel like for it feel more luxury you need to add option and the sticker price keep going up. The GLE in sport mode is fine, but I do feel like you have to push that vehicle to get going. On the X5, I did not get that feeling, but I was also expecting it to go like how the 3 series did for me, but I am coming around the idea that its a big car and with the weight etc. it will have a different driving feel to it.

What would the adaptive M suspension do exactly. I am not even sure if I am getting the M package.

Mt laurel is defiantly in the 1 hour radius, but with the X50, wouldn't that throw it off a little bit as it is more powerful to begin with?
I made the trip from North Jersey to test drive one. It was worth it. Yes the V8 throws it off a bit but I promise it is worth the trip. I have a 35i with DHP and in my opinion it was the best box I ticked. As others have shared, it's not just the ability to go into corners at speed and feel how neutral the car stays. In my opinion, it's the improved ride over rough roads that makes the biggest difference
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 01:02 PM   #25
coolidge
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote98 View Post
I made the trip from North Jersey to test drive one. It was worth it. Yes the V8 throws it off a bit but I promise it is worth the trip. I have a 35i with DHP and in my opinion it was the best box I ticked. As others have shared, it's not just the ability to go into corners at speed and feel how neutral the car stays. In my opinion, it's the improved ride over rough roads that makes the biggest difference
But I have also heard it reported that you don't really get any warning when you have pushed it too far it will just snap around and bite you.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 02:26 PM   #26
sid369
Private First Class
Rep

Ok, so during lunch, just for comparison I went and test drove the MDX and I must say that it felt so much lighter that it appears and in sport mode, it just accelerated better. I did not or drive like a big SUV, I am so confused, whereas the other suv I test drove felt big and heavy compared to the MDX.

The dash though looks dated and don't like their infotainment.

Just wondering of anyone else who cross shopped felt the same.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 02:32 PM   #27
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

If you want a standard run of the mill X5, then get the standard base X5. If you're looking for driving excitement from your X5 then upgrade to an Adaptive M.. this suspension keeps all four corners of your X5 flat during turns, curves, and bumpy roads. There is none to very minimal bouncing and wobbling... To take your X5 to another level get the DHP.

Yes, this is a SUV and yes, it's heavy, yes it is not a pure sports car, BUT it drives like one and handles like one.
      06-14-2016, 02:35 PM   #28
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Ok, so during lunch, just for comparison I went and test drove the MDX and I must say that it felt so much lighter that it appears and in sport mode, it just accelerated better. I did not or drive like a big SUV, I am so confused, whereas the other suv I test drove felt big and heavy compared to the MDX.

The dash though looks dated and don't like their infotainment.

Just wondering of anyone else who cross shopped felt the same.
I've had several loaner X5 35i from the dealer and I agree that it is sluggish feeling compared to "my" X5 35i with MPPK and Adaptive M suspension. My X5 is a rocket and handles beautifully.
      06-14-2016, 04:41 PM   #29
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
If you want a standard run of the mill X5, then get the standard base X5. If you're looking for driving excitement from your X5 then upgrade to an Adaptive M.. this suspension keeps all four corners of your X5 flat during turns, curves, and bumpy roads. There is none to very minimal bouncing and wobbling... To take your X5 to another level get the DHP.

Yes, this is a SUV and yes, it's heavy, yes it is not a pure sports car, BUT it drives like one and handles like one.
I don't think the Adaptive M makes as much difference as you're implying, but the feeling could be interpreted differently by different people. The E70 with Adaptive was much more exciting to drive than the F15 with Adaptive Drive. The F15 definitely "floats" more in my book. This is from me driving my father's F15 with Adaptive suspension.

My X5 has standard suspension and although the cornering was better in my E70, bumpy roads are a lot more comfortable in my F15. The F15 is a "slap it in drive and go" type of car. The E70, you had to wrangle it a bit more...

I have a lot of speed bumps in my neighborhood. The F15 handles them like a Cadillac. The E70, I had to really slow down for them...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 04:42 PM   #30
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I've had several loaner X5 35i from the dealer and I agree that it is sluggish feeling compared to "my" X5 35i with MPPK and Adaptive M suspension. My X5 is a rocket and handles beautifully.
I had a 50i as a loaner not long ago. Talk about a rocket!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 05:19 PM   #31
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et
Quote:

I don't think the Adaptive M makes as much difference as you're implying, but the feeling could be interpreted differently by different people. The E70 with Adaptive was much more exciting to drive than the F15 with Adaptive Drive. The F15 definitely "floats" more in my book. This is from me driving my father's F15 with Adaptive suspension.

My X5 has standard suspension and although the cornering was better in my E70, bumpy roads are a lot more comfortable in my F15. The F15 is a "slap it in drive and go" type of car. The E70, you had to wrangle it a bit more...

I have a lot of speed bumps in my neighborhood. The F15 handles them like a Cadillac. The E70, I had to really slow down for them...
E70 Adaptive Drive is equivalent to F15's DHP.
DHP is superior to Adaptive M Suspension.

Hope this helps you understand why your E70 equipped with AD was better handling.

Also you mentioned that your fathers F15 with 2VF wasn't different to your stock suspension. I honestly think you didn't have or your father didn't set up the suspension correctly as I mentioned previously. Most people here with 2VF would agree with me.
      06-14-2016, 05:58 PM   #32
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
E70 Adaptive Drive is equivalent to F15's DHP.
DHP is superior to Adaptive M Suspension.

Hope this helps you understand why your E70 equipped with AD was better handling.

Also you mentioned that your fathers F15 with 2VF wasn't different to your stock suspension. I honestly think you didn't have or your father didn't set up the suspension correctly as I mentioned previously. Most people here with 2VF would agree with me.
OK, that is good to know regarding E70 Adaptive Drive and F15 DHP.

In revards to my father's F15, I checked and my father's setup was correct.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 06:27 PM   #33
vangoose
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
OK, that is good to know regarding E70 Adaptive Drive and F15 DHP.

In revards to my father's F15, I checked and my father's setup was correct.
I have sport package in my E70, Canadian model with sport package is basically active anti-roll.
I have F16 with 2VP, which is active anti-roll + torque vectoring.

I can tell you even with 20"summer tires on F16, E70 handles a lot better cornering but F16 is more comfortable.

I miss my E70.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 12:57 PM   #34
sid369
Private First Class
Rep

I do like the ride of the X5 with the standard suspension. My whole point was that I was expecting it to accelerate well with having to add MPPK or anything else, and this is based on my experience with the 3 series, the stock car drove well, which drew me in to BMW to begin with and I fell in love with BMW cars, but if the X5 is just like any other SUV, than it just makes sense to get something which has more standard feature for much less money. I always thought that BMW SUV were different from rest of the competition because they would drive faster and be fun to drive and would accelerate well from stop. and one would get bets of both world who needs the space of the SUV and the power of a sports car.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 01:06 PM   #35
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I do like the ride of the X5 with the standard suspension. My whole point was that I was expecting it to accelerate well with having to add MPPK or anything else, and this is based on my experience with the 3 series, the stock car drove well, which drew me in to BMW to begin with and I fell in love with BMW cars, but if the X5 is just like any other SUV, than it just makes sense to get something which has more standard feature for much less money. I always thought that BMW SUV were different from rest of the competition because they would drive faster and be fun to drive and would accelerate well from stop. and one would get bets of both world who needs the space of the SUV and the power of a sports car.
Here is my take... back in the day when the term "ultimate driving machine" used to mean something, BMW made very nice sporty handling cars that drove very unique compared to the other luxury brands. You didn't have to option out a sports tuned suspension or specific feature in order to enjoy a nice ride.

Now days, to cater the masses (soccer moms) BMW has toned down their cars and made it numb, boring and less sporty, so that the few "enthusiasts" that still want that BMW driving characteristics can pick and choose the specific options to have their ultimate driving machine at a price.

This is why I have said many times over and over for a certain "ride" characteristics you need an upgraded suspension, Msport line, and performance wheels & tires. Adding MPPK/MPE and the visual cosmetics is a bonus.
      06-15-2016, 01:16 PM   #36
Terp335
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 2011 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et
Quote:
I had a 50i as a loaner not long ago. Talk about a rocket!
My 35d feels like a rocket compared to my Wrangler

OP - I replaced our MDX with the X5. The MDX has way more body roll, wasn't sporty, and didn't feel anywhere close to as good as my X5. I have a adaptive M suspension, for reference. My opinion, the MDX felt cheap all around. Fit and finish was bad, brakes were terrible (warped rotors every 5k miles that I just learned to live with), and (to me) there was no comparison. Value is subjective though and everyone has there own opinion.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2016, 09:05 AM   #37
sid369
Private First Class
Rep

I hear what you are saying about the MDX which feels cheap and not as solid as the X5.
I will go take another extended test drive and report back if I have more questions.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 04:17 PM   #38
BillK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 11 M3, 15 X5d, 20 X2

Get the seat upgrade. They're great. And by the way, who the hell gets a base BMW anyway?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 09:20 AM   #39
sid369
Private First Class
Rep

BTW, bluenote, Kzang which dealership in NJ did you guys get your X5 from, if you don't mind sharing the dealership and your experience dealing with them it would be great.

Also. I saw Alan's post and his tires look bigger (sider)vthan the the stock, which types are those, they look great, runlets? how much?
Appreciate 0