BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-12-2016, 02:32 AM   #1
NorthEastX5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 3.0d M-Sport / 435i F36

Ouch.....bumper damage to F15

Hi, first post here.....mostly been posting in the 3/4 forum as we have a F36 as well but also have an F15.

Took said F15 out yesterday. Reversing as normal sensors started to activate but weren't on anything other than green / yellow on display. Nowhere near red and for no reason I have any excuse for i didn't check mirrors

Didn't pick up some bizarrely place chest height mounted hand rail. Hit it, i say hit it was more of a "push" as car was almost stopped and we kind of leant against it!

All parts on the bumper including the standard exhaust tips, reflectors are unmarked. Panel gaps / shut lines all unchanged. I've had a good look in and around tailgate openings, no broken fixings of any kind. All looks pin straight.

So it seems at face value it needs a new bumper shell, painted and fitted.

Question I won't go through insurance I'll just pay for it as it was my fault.

As all the parts are undamaged and unmarked (apart from the bumper). Will the body shop transplant the old parts to the new bumper? and by that i mean parking sensors, reflectors, exhaust tips etc???

I don't want to be fobbed off with "oh you need all new sensors". I can clearly see they are perfect and the impact was so low speed.

To my untrained eye it just looks like a simple fix. I'm hoping they can order new bumper, paint it off the car, call me in when its painted and ready then simply remove existing bumper, transplants parts fit to new and refit.

We had an Audi years ago that the other half damaged in a similar way and i'm sure they repainted the new bumper before we got there and the car was in and out of the shop in a day.

Any estimates on cost repair at BMW dealer?? Its a 2015 car 8k miles on it.

thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 09:48 AM   #2
karzrkewl
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 Msport

I was hit while parked a few months back. Only the rear bumper was damaged. They swapped all the sensors and reflectors from the old bumper into the new one. The exhaust tips were not removed from the car for the repair. We had the work done at a BMW body shop and it was ~$2500
Appreciate 0