Drives: BMW X5 2014

Best Color Combination

1) Black Spahire with Black Dakota
2) Black Saphire with Mocha Nappa
3) Mineral White with Mocha Nappa
4) Mineral White with Black Dakota
5) Glacier Silver with Black Dakota
6) Black Spahire with Beige

My heart says go with 1 or 2. My mind says go with 3 or 5. but I already own titanium silver 5 series. I can't make up my mind. My concern with black is scratches will be more visible. I am planning to keep this atleast for 6-7 years. Please help.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
Brainofjjj
Astronaut
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: car

Black on black is awful I think and it's something you see on 80% of BMWs or so it seems. If you do a black exterior get a light interior and vice versa. My opinion
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

6) would be my preference out of those choices, but I would prefer Carbon Black over Sapphire, and Ivory White/Black, or just Ivory white over beige.

Mocha is a decent colour, but I prefer lighter interiors.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
Michiganian
Private
Rep
Drives: Current:Z4

Color combos

Have you seen/considered Dark Graphite? i chose that with Mocha Nappa.
      12-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirajkas View Post

My heart says go with 1 or 2. My mind says go with 3 or 5. but I already own titanium silver 5 series. I can't make up my mind. My concern with black is scratches will be more visible. I am planning to keep this atleast for 6-7 years. Please help.
7) Black Saphire with Irory White and Black Dakota. Sweet
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
sirajkas
First Lieutenant
Rep

I like Dark Graphite but it's not available with M sport..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
Zipforia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Not a big fan of white cars. Makes it look like it's a company fleet cars....just my $0.02.

Z.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #8
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

I got Carbon Black with Black Dakota Leather. Love it!!! I am a big fan of dark cars. I would try a lighter leather color if I did not have young kids.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #9
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M Azurite on Nutmeg

I take reasonable care of vehicles but I am not one these "wash and wax" every Saturday people.

My experience with black color variations is that they look great on day one ... but they rapidly become a PITA and they will in time show EVERY hairline scratch and imperfection in the clearcoat.

This has been the case with every black vehicle I have owned (XC90, E550, G37).

I began getting "Tri-Coat Pearlescent" White with my last F150 and again with my wife's Genesis R-Spec.

Although not the "sexiest" color - it cannot be beat for cosmetic durability and ease of maintenance.

I ordered the Mineral White with Mocha Interior Package for the F15.

I really, really like the Sapphire Black on Ivory ... but just couldn't risk the inevitable maintenance headache.

Last edited by NikonMan; 12-04-2013 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirajkas
I like Dark Graphite but it's not available with M sport..
+1. That would've been my choice were it available. With terra or mocha interior.

Went with mineral white for a change from previous and current black cars, but sort of regret it. Don't have the car yet so hopefully when we do, I'll remember why the metallic flake in the mineral white caught my eye. Ultimately, it was my wife's decision, car is for her. But she was set on black sapphire until I brought her to see the MW.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I have to disagree a little on the maintenance of black, just a little. From the 3 I've had so far, all metallic blacks (2 BMW one Audi), yes it shows dirt more than a lighter color, especially salt in the winter, but the metal flake does hide some dirt and scratches, at least better than a flat black. Not nearly as well as other colors, obviously.

But I also park as far away as possible to avoid people scratching my cars lol. So maybe I feel this way because I haven't had a ton of scratches on them. Have had a few though.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #12
Galion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 - 750iL

Your exterior color choices are my favorites on any car, for some reason, I like white with black interior and aluminum trim on the M Sport version. IMO It suits the sport theme just perfect.
On other variants Id go with silver, Black is beautiful but a real pain to mantain.
I saw a mocha interior and I like it, but Im not sure I can live with that color, I prefer black on my car interiors.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #13
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
+1. That would've been my choice were it available. With terra or mocha interior.

Went with mineral white for a change from previous and current black cars, but sort of regret it. Don't have the car yet so hopefully when we do, I'll remember why the metallic flake in the mineral white caught my eye. Ultimately, it was my wife's decision, car is for her. But she was set on black sapphire until I brought her to see the MW.
+1 on Dark Graphite.... was originally going to go X-line to get it, but the M-sport is more "me".

I'm also torn between black and white.... need to make a final decision pretty soon. Never been a huge fan of white cars, but the F15 with m-sport looks quite aggressive with it, and it shows the lines of the car. Haven't seen mineral white in person yet.

chrisny - when's your car due?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #14
patrobX5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Volvo XC90 T8

Our current X5 is Black Saphire with black leather but this time around I would def. go for Mineral White with either Ivory/Black Dakota or Mocha. Just a little tired of all black lol

I also fell in looooove with Moonstone Metallic paint colour, I hope it will be available as an individual option in the future!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #15
sirajkas
First Lieutenant
Rep

Moonstone metallic looks like titanium silver that I have.. looks awesome.. :
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #16
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

+1 I always park as far as I can in the hopes nobody will park next to me to dent my doors. However, it looks like BMW is a magnet of crappy cars since there is always one that decides to park next to it when you have the entire parking lot available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
I have to disagree a little on the maintenance of black, just a little. From the 3 I've had so far, all metallic blacks (2 BMW one Audi), yes it shows dirt more than a lighter color, especially salt in the winter, but the metal flake does hide some dirt and scratches, at least better than a flat black. Not nearly as well as other colors, obviously.

But I also park as far away as possible to avoid people scratching my cars lol. So maybe I feel this way because I haven't had a ton of scratches on them. Have had a few though.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #17
sirajkas
First Lieutenant
Rep

This looks awesome !!
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920775
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #18
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMN1971 View Post
+1 I always park as far as I can in the hopes nobody will park next to me to dent my doors. However, it looks like BMW is a magnet of crappy cars since there is always one that decides to park next to it when you have the entire parking lot available.
Spot on! I can be 40 empty spaces away, in the BACK of the lot, and inevitably someone in an '82 whatever still parks directly next to me. I know why I choose to walk all that way, why do they??
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #19
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairg View Post
+1 on Dark Graphite.... was originally going to go X-line to get it, but the M-sport is more "me".

I'm also torn between black and white.... need to make a final decision pretty soon. Never been a huge fan of white cars, but the F15 with m-sport looks quite aggressive with it, and it shows the lines of the car. Haven't seen mineral white in person yet.

chrisny - when's your car due?
3 days ago! Still waiting for my CA to get an answer on why it was delayed, but it was supposed to arrive to the dealer on Sunday. Most likely because of Thanksgiving, it was just waiting for a truck since last Wednesday. Just called the 800# again (it's my CA's day off) and it has now left South Carolina!! New estimated delivery is Friday or Saturday to the dealership.. So crossing my fingers for Thursday or Friday with a chance of picking it up Saturday. Looks like it just left today. Not sure how many stops they make along the way, but how many can it be, 8 cars or so per truck, maybe 3 or 4 dealerships total? It's only a 10 or 12 hour drive to NY, so I'm guessing the trip shouldn't take more than two days total. I've never tracked it from the time it physically got on a truck, so this will be interesting.

Hopefully my CA will have some good news for me when he gets in tomorrow.

Last edited by chrisny; 12-04-2013 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #20
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirajkas View Post

I went with option #3 and I've been very happy with my choice. As people have posted, the light colors, especially the metallic light colors really show off the lines of the X5 and look decent even if they are not perfectly clean. I had a black car once and I told myself I'd never do it again. They look great when they are clean, but they don't stay that way for long.

As far as the interior choices go, the Mocha Nappa is very luxurious and is definitely a step up from the Dakota. I think it looks fantastic with or without the ventilated option.

I do wish that BMW had a few more choices for exterior colors. The only color currently available that isn't white, black, or grey is the Sparkling Brown and it's so dark that it looks black in all but direct sunlight.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #21
creaminz
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

saw dark graphite in person, looked awesome
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 08:50 PM   #22
Zipforia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMN1971 View Post
I got Carbon Black with Black Dakota Leather. Love it!!! I am a big fan of dark cars. I would try a lighter leather color if I did not have young kids.
I have a two year old and got ALL Ivory white leather package. It's leather, so I'm not worried about stains. Also, got WeatherTech liner so no worries there.

Z.
Appreciate 0