BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-10-2022, 05:38 AM   #1
wmr71
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 Msport 50

extended BMW maintenance program - spark plugs

hello all
I have a 2016 X5 50msport that just ran out of the extended BMW Platinum warranty in Dec 2021. the car just crossed 100k miles and I wanted to ask a general question about what will be covered under the the remaining BMW maintenance program that runs up to 125k miles or until Dec 2022, whichever comes first

Like most of you, my car has had its fair share of spark plug changes, will these still be covered under this Maintenance program? I know the valve stem seals aren't covered but I'm still battling with BMW on that front as I had the car in for service about 2 months before my extended warranty ran out with excessive oil use so hopefully that will be resolved soon.

TIA,
Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 06:26 AM   #2
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Call your dealer and ask

02-10-2022, 07:58 PM   #3
wmr71
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 Msport 50

thanks ooshnoo - it would make sense if this wasn't the same dealer that was approved by me in November 2021 to replace rear brakes under the bmw maintenance program, however, while replacing airbags on my x5 yesterday it was evident that the brakes had not been replaced and looked to be original. my confidence in anything to do with the dealerships in atlanta is shaky at best. I absolutely love my car which is why I have endured horrible dealer experiences since buying my car in 2017. real world experience with folks on this forum is always very helpful based on my almost 5 years of ownership

thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 06:37 AM   #4
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmr71 View Post
thanks ooshnoo - it would make sense if this wasn't the same dealer that was approved by me in November 2021 to replace rear brakes under the bmw maintenance program, however, while replacing airbags on my x5 yesterday it was evident that the brakes had not been replaced and looked to be original. my confidence in anything to do with the dealerships in atlanta is shaky at best. I absolutely love my car which is why I have endured horrible dealer experiences since buying my car in 2017. real world experience with folks on this forum is always very helpful based on my almost 5 years of ownership

thanks
You are absolutely correct. Service varies from dealer to dealer. I do believe spark plugs are covered under maintenance program; however, only if the car is “requiring” it by mileage/OBD notification. That’s my understanding; however, check the owners manual so that you know what is “required” at various mileage points so you can go armed with knowledge. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 08:43 PM   #5
Surgx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmr71 View Post

thanks
You are absolutely correct. Service varies from dealer to dealer. I do believe spark plugs are covered under maintenance program; however, only if the car is "requiring" it by mileage/OBD notification. That's my understanding; however, check the owners manual so that you know what is "required" at various mileage points so you can go armed with knowledge. Good luck!
Yes, the service required notification needs to be on or it's an out of pocket cost.
Appreciate 0