BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-02-2014, 02:37 AM   #1
coolmex200
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 2016 X5 35i, F25d

Eco pro symbol

Had the X5 for a week now and loving it. I have been trying out different driving modes and such. While accelerating too fast on Eco pro mode, i got the normal decelerate symbol. I started getting a similar symbol, except this one has a road symbol underneath. This one is not on the manual and I'm not sure what it means. It happened at different speeds (50/70 mph). Anyways, let me know if someone knows the answer.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 03:07 AM   #2
LatinBimmer
Lieutenant
Peru
Rep
Drives: X5 2014 Sparkling Brown

This symbol is related to your current acceleration "habit" ...and asks you to keep constant acceleration in a lower speed, because in Eco Pro Mode it will always try to regenerate power or save fuel.

In short, this symbol appears when you are accelerating more than recommended
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 03:18 AM   #3
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

@LatinBimmer is correct. However if you go into Settings > EcoPro; You can change the EcoPro max speed.
      12-02-2014, 05:27 AM   #4
coolmex200
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinBimmer View Post
This symbol is related to your current acceleration "habit" ...and asks you to keep constant acceleration in a lower speed, because in Eco Pro Mode it will always try to regenerate power or save fuel.

In short, this symbol appears when you are accelerating more than recommended
That's what I thought...but...it keeps happening when I'm not accelerating. Both times I was just cruising at low RPMs and about 50 MPH...I did notice it happened while I was in a slight downhill...I took off my foot from the pedal and the symbol did not go away until I came to a stop. I email the SA and he has never seen the symbol with the road underneath. I added the normal decelerate symbol that I get from too much gas...just for comparison...
@Opasha...I do have the ECO speed turned off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 06:03 AM   #5
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Seems you can also uncheck this "tip" in the settings:

From what I have read just now, it seems that the decelerate icon with the road symbol has to do with coasting and predictive driving: http://www.techradar.com/news/car-te...keover-1098960

"What does that actually mean? Imagine you're approaching a roundabout but it's over a blind hill. Eco Pro knows the roundabout is coming up and it knows how fast you're going.

So it can calculate the best time to lift off the gas and coast up to the roundabout in the most efficient manner, rather than leaning on the anchors once you brow the hill. And so a little lift-off icon appears in that LCD instrument panel when the time is right.

In our test car, BMW has also implemented a special coasting mode which fully decouples the engine from the transmission and makes for much, much more efficient coasting. In certain situations, it's enough to improve fuel efficiency by a staggering 20 per cent over the official EU cycle numbers."

Last edited by opasha; 12-02-2014 at 06:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 07:33 AM   #6
coolmex200
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Seems you can also uncheck this "tip" in the settings:

From what I have read just now, it seems that the decelerate icon with the road symbol has to do with coasting and predictive driving: http://www.techradar.com/news/car-te...keover-1098960

"What does that actually mean? Imagine you're approaching a roundabout but it's over a blind hill. Eco Pro knows the roundabout is coming up and it knows how fast you're going.

So it can calculate the best time to lift off the gas and coast up to the roundabout in the most efficient manner, rather than leaning on the anchors once you brow the hill. And so a little lift-off icon appears in that LCD instrument panel when the time is right.

In our test car, BMW has also implemented a special coasting mode which fully decouples the engine from the transmission and makes for much, much more efficient coasting. In certain situations, it's enough to improve fuel efficiency by a staggering 20 per cent over the official EU cycle numbers."
THANKS! that makes sense since both times it came up I was on a slight decline and was about to exit. I really appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 09:09 AM   #7
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

I think it means you are going too fast -set at 70mph for mph markets. At that speed Eco Pro cannot save you fuel and asks you to let up on the gas.

If I am not mistaken you can set a limit or remove the warning in iDrive. I am going from memory, but I recall seeing this at one point -setting a limit warning for speed.

US manual pg 94.

Last edited by MattBianco; 12-02-2014 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 09:30 AM   #8
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Funny, I don't remember seeing the temperature indicator when i have had the decelerate symbol come on. Is this a North American thing?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 09:49 AM   #9
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
Funny, I don't remember seeing the temperature indicator when i have had the decelerate symbol come on. Is this a North American thing?
Bottom right of the cluster. Outside temp display is always on.

I wish there was a way to display temp and time/date in HUD for 3-5 seconds with a push of a button.
      12-02-2014, 09:56 AM   #10
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
Bottom right of the cluster. Outside temp display is always on.

I wish there was a way to display temp and time/date in HUD for 3-5 seconds with a push of a button.
Got it! So its only when you have HUD. N/A in my case which explains why I haven't seen it.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 10:01 AM   #11
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Got it! So its only when you have HUD. N/A in my case which explains why I haven't seen it.
Doesn't make sense though. Instrument cluster should display things HUD can't, and HUD doesn't do temperature. Possible coding?

Pg 84 US manual, which is available for download.

And http://www.bmw.co.uk/dam/brandBM/mar...5465510395.pdf. Pg 5, right column, bottom right under OBC. You should have it.

Quote:
Or, was that a joke that went right over my head?

Last edited by MattBianco; 12-02-2014 at 10:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 10:16 AM   #12
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
Doesn't make sense though. Instrument cluster should display things HUD can't, and HUD doesn't do temperature. Possible coding?

Pg 84 US manual, which is available for download.

And http://www.bmw.co.uk/dam/brandBM/mar...5465510395.pdf. Pg 5, right column, bottom right under OBC. You should have it.

Or, was that a joke that went right over my head?
Got it (again). Yes, have outside temperature, in the middle of the screen but not beneath the 'blue foot' when Eco Mode get's angry!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 01:22 PM   #13
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Got it (again). Yes, have outside temperature, in the middle of the screen but not beneath the 'blue foot' when Eco Mode get's angry!
That's because you have the Basic 6WA. @MattBianco has the Extended 6WA (comes with HUD).
      11-17-2015, 10:24 AM   #14
cherubino
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 30d

this happened to me last time I was in France. I was crusing in the highway at 110kmh and in a downhill it appeared in the HUD. I was confused because it was the first time it happened to me in the last 13 months I've had this car. I guess it has highway information and it makes a predictive calculation for saving gas. It has never appeared in spanish roads so far.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 11:45 AM   #15
taxjoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i & 2015 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Imagine you're approaching a roundabout but it's over a blind hill. Eco Pro knows the roundabout is coming up and it knows how fast you're going.

Now how cool is that! They think of everything!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 07:26 AM   #16
OysterD
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40e

It's actually a pretty clever system.

It knows when you're approaching a roundabout, when you're going downhill etc and can just let off the accelerator and coast for a while to maintain the same speed or slow down to a stop when needed.

What gets me though is it also (here in the UK anyway) knows when speed limits change on roads. If you're driving in a 60mph zone and a hundred yards ahead it knows the limit changes to 50mph, the icon will also show up indicating you can let off the accelerator to get to the new speed limit without having to brake. However, it does this on mine even though I don't have the speed limit display option. So the tech is all in the car, the car KNOWS what the speed limit is on any road, yet without paying extra for the original option on the car, it won't actually display the current speed limit on the dashboard!
Appreciate 0