BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-29-2014, 02:11 PM   #23
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
Thanks skalberti. I gather than your theory is that the comfort access system is misbehaving? The X5 is at the dealer at the moment, so we'll see what they come up with first, but that will be something to try should the issue persist post-repair.

Interestingly, today I got a report that BMWNA has authorized the dealer to replace the mirrors' motors on both sides, which I thought was a little odd. I can't imagine that the mirror settings are stored in the motors, but it seems that they want to work their way back from there.
I got a note today from the dealer that the mirror settings are, in fact, stored in the motor assembly. I certainly would not have guessed that!
      10-29-2014, 02:42 PM   #24
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
hopefully this will get resolved soon..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 02:44 PM   #25
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
hopefully this will get resolved soon..
Thanks!!
      11-02-2014, 04:43 PM   #26
gpitts
Captain
Rep

I spoke with the shop foreman Friday, and BMW has authorized them to replace the body computer module. The thinking seems to be that it is misbehaving periodically, selecting the wrong settings for mirrors, seats, and steering wheel position.
      11-05-2014, 08:20 AM   #27
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I spoke with the shop foreman Friday, and BMW has authorized them to replace the body computer module. The thinking seems to be that it is misbehaving periodically, selecting the wrong settings for mirrors, seats, and steering wheel position.
...Or not. Apparently BMW NA has them doing a couple of other things before relenting on the body control module (typo above) replacement. Another 24 hours without my X5.
      11-05-2014, 09:05 AM   #28
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
im sure every part that gets replaced, requires reprogramming the car.
well at least BMW NA is involve.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 11:48 AM   #29
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
im sure every part that gets replaced, requires reprogramming the car.
well at least BMW NA is involve.
Indeed... I spoke with the head tech and he filled me in on how the modules are all a part of the anti-theft aspect of the car. This particular module has to be programmed with my vehicle's VIN for that very reason. I'd never thought about the security aspect that the modules introduce, but it made sense when he mentioned it.

At any rate, hopefully I get the vehicle back today. Good reminder that I need to call and check on things.
      11-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #30
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
keeps us posted, good luck. i know it can be frustrating having these issues on new car. the good thing is its all cover under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #31
gpitts
Captain
Rep

...and the plot thickens. I just got a call from the service department, and BMW wants to replace the seat module(s) on the vehicle. Apparently they think the modules are ignoring the key memory and sporadically commanding the wrong memory settings to be loaded by the vehicle.

My gut feel is that there's more to this than BMW NA is telling, as the parts are coming from engineering and not from a warehouse. Anyone ever had something like this occur?
      11-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #32
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

Let us know if that seat module replacement works out. I have a similar situation but mine is with the HUD. It won't keep the height settings from user to user but when I or my wife press our respected number on the seat it will go to our setting and remain as long as that driver is using the car. The moment the other driver gets in, the HUD setting goes to neutral until the setting is changed manually.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 07:54 PM   #33
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt View Post
Let us know if that seat module replacement works out. I have a similar situation but mine is with the HUD. It won't keep the height settings from user to user but when I or my wife press our respected number on the seat it will go to our setting and remain as long as that driver is using the car. The moment the other driver gets in, the HUD setting goes to neutral until the setting is changed manually.
Funny you mention that... I've gotten in to the X5 on occasion and noticed what I *think* may be the same issue. I was fixated on the mirror issue, so I just wrote off the HUD issue as being me not having set it up correctly. I'll pay more attention when (if? ) I get the vehicle back.
      11-06-2014, 06:53 PM   #34
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

Quote:
Funny you mention that... I've gotten in to the X5 on occasion and noticed what I *think* may be the same issue. I was fixated on the mirror issue, so I just wrote off the HUD issue as being me not having set it up correctly. I'll pay more attention when (if? ) I get the vehicle back.
I haven't taken my vehicle back to the dealer just for that, I can change it manually for now, but I will get it fixed. I think that there might be a few others on here with that issue also (HUD). Somehow I think that all of these "memory" issues are related to a specific problem.

I did talk to my dealer about this and he said that resetting the entire vehicle to factory specs might be needed. In other words all of your programing will be deleted. Personally I'm not ready to fight the garage door opener again unless I have too.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 08:41 PM   #35
gpitts
Captain
Rep

I got my car back on Monday evening, and wanted to give it a couple of days to see if the replacement of the seat control module addressed the issue. I'll give things another week or so before declaring victory, but so far things are working just fine.
      12-02-2014, 11:20 PM   #36
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

Oh oh... my 1wk-old F15 has the HUD issue as well. I kept thinking it was pilot error and that I didn't save the settings somehow. I had already set up M1 and M2 for my key and my wife's key as well. Thing is, it seems the setting is lost overnight vs lock/unlock or motor on/off. That is, if we're running errands all day which entail multiple stops, the HUD height will stay where I set it. It only goes back to default overnight, i.e. after many hours of being locked up.
Please do keep us posted gpitts (Gene??). I'm from Portland as well...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 07:35 AM   #37
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I got my car back on Monday evening, and wanted to give it a couple of days to see if the replacement of the seat control module addressed the issue. I'll give things another week or so before declaring victory, but so far things are working just fine.
I've had my vehicle back for about one month now since the dealer replaced the seat control module, and the mirror issue has not recurred.

The only issue I've seen with the HUD is that it seems to be aligned too far to the right at times, but there is no left/right adjustment as far as I know, so is this just a "feature" of the HUD? I haven't seen any significant up/down changes to the HUD.
      12-03-2014, 07:44 AM   #38
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt View Post
@buckeyewalt Didn't that issue get fixed with a software update, I know you have reported it since day 1 and I'm sure I read about a HUD software update a few months back that fixed that exact issue, but only after someone had had their entire dash ripped out to replace a supposedly faulty HUD which turned out to be a software problem as described by yourself.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 10:24 PM   #39
gpitts
Captain
Rep

...and it's back. After a four month hiatus following the seat module replacement, my "mystery mirror" (and seat) issue has returned twice in about four days. The X5 is once again down for all of this week and into next week it for diagnosis. This is getting old.
      03-07-2015, 12:40 AM   #40
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
...and it's back. After a four month hiatus following the seat module replacement, my "mystery mirror" (and seat) issue has returned twice in about four days. The X5 is once again down for all of this week and into next week it for diagnosis. This is getting old.
I am guessing one of the ECUs or wherever the seat memory is stored has a bad internal battery or capacitor that drains when the car is turned off for a good length of time (possibly overnight, or when cold). And, the memory is lost. Wild guess, and likely an incorrect one. Keep us posted please.
      03-10-2015, 07:10 PM   #41
gpitts
Captain
Rep

I just got a reply from my service advisor and the word is that "...it is now a known issue and their [BMW] engineers are investigating a fix... This issue is only happening in a select number of vehicles at this time and the cause is unknown."

It sure feels like a race-condition in the firmware (software types will understand) such that every once in a blue moon the wrong setting is communicated to the seat module and the issue occurs. <sigh>

The joys of a new model year, eh?
      03-10-2015, 08:36 PM   #42
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

Sticky bit getting accidentally cleared.
[nerd mode off]

I've had this issue since day one, but it doesn't bother me enough to make a special appt for it. Hopefully by first service they'll have it fully resolved. Thanks for the continued updates.
      03-10-2015, 09:33 PM   #43
Wobbles
Second Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F02, F13, F15

I'm so envious of the way BMW NA & their engineers handle things through the dealers in North America. The usual catchphrase here in Singapore whenever we bring a car with a problem back to the (sole) authorized dealership is: "It's normal". Blah.

Good luck with the troubleshooting, gpitts - and keep us posted!
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2015, 08:29 PM   #44
igorsvrub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, 40d

Hi
I have same issue, my right rear mirror time by time change it position, It started aprox. 6 months ago(own car since August 2014).
In beginning it was once every 2 weeks and it is every second day now.
I have 2 memory settings in the car (for me and wife) and mirror changes it position if you do not touch memory buttons (switch from one to another). But it changes when you lock/unlock the car(does not matter for how long you leave the car for whole night or 10 minutes).
We are using one key with wife, so it is definitely not an issue(as some concerns were about this).
Will go to dealer next month (as presently not at home) and will see how it goes...
Appreciate 0