Bibendum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum View Post
Anyone have this happen to them again AFTER taking the car in and getting it "fixed"?

I think it may have just happened to me...
Are you thinking you may not have closed the door fully, If you have SCD package, it is not possible for it to just remain latched but not fully closed. I seriously hope this was fixed because I really want to get SCD and it's kind of nice that nobody who took delivery recently (in last couple of months) came back to post about this issue, sounds like it was fixed at least on new builds.
Yes, that is what I was thinking...

Happened while turning left. That is when it happened before too. Wonder what could possibly be related and causing it -- chassis flex doesn't seem possible...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 07:24 AM   #24
tcpip
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 M50d (F15)

Well it's been a few weeks and it has happened again, so I am hoping it has been fixed once and for all - rest assured, I'll come back here and let you know if it does happen again.

Also, they updated my vehicle software whilst it was in, so have new things on the management panel, e.g. new icons in the SatNav, etc. I also noticed that in really heavy rain/spray, I no longer get fault/warnings about the camera not being able to detect pedestrians and stationary objects which stay on until you switch off/on the car; I did still get an alert, but it didn't come up as a fault, and it self-cleared when the conditions improved - so that's been fixed in the latest software release :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #25
joejoejr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 35i

Could be coincidental but every time this has happened on my vehicle it was on a door that I had soft closed. Has not happened to me on a door that I slammed shut. Is there some kinda algorithm to detect an obstruction while soft closing the door? Almost feels like the door comes ajar because it believes it has soft closed with something in the doorway. Like some software threshold has been exceeded.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 04:14 PM   #26
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoejr View Post
Could be coincidental but every time this has happened on my vehicle it was on a door that I had soft closed. Has not happened to me on a door that I slammed shut. Is there some kinda algorithm to detect an obstruction while soft closing the door? Almost feels like the door comes ajar because it believes it has soft closed with something in the doorway. Like some software threshold has been exceeded.
Very interesting, but if I remember correctly soft close action works regardless if it was closed by mechanism pulling it or if you slammed it. When you shut the door, you can still hear the soft close mechanism pull the door in or the arms or whatever it is on the latch still engage. I don't believe it knows if it helped shut the door of the door was shut without its assistance. Maybe you can try it, all four doors, every day open and shut them by slamming, and then start letting only 1 out of 4 doors be pulled in by soft close action, see if that door breaks loose first.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 04:00 AM   #27
tcpip
United Kingdom
Rep

A quick update.

Still good here with the doors, it seems that whatever the modification was, it has fixed it, no recurrence to date.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 11:02 PM   #28
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcpip View Post
Hi All,

I've got my X5 M50d back today :-)

I really hope they have fixed it this time. The dealer was pretty confident. They have been working closely with BMW corporate and have applied a BMW modification to all four doors. They showed me a the pile of paperwork they have had from BMW on this, so I believe BMW corporate are taking things very seriously.

In my car it was only ever the drivers door (thank goodness). It did it a number of times in the first 3,000 miles, then, after they changed the lock, it went for at least a couple of months, 5,000 miles before it did it again. One thing I did notice the last time that it did it, was that we'd had heavy rain, whereas for the previous few months we'd had a dry spell - is this a co-incidence?

I'm off to near Munich (from near Cambridge, UK) next week, so plenty of time in the car and miles to test it; oh, and some German Autobahns to give it some exercise
Hi tcpip, I have a 2015 X5 and I've experienced the same issue that you posted about - a pronounced "pop", and then the chime sounds giving me an indication that the door is not securely closed. It's happened twice to me in the past month or so, both times going straight and level as I recall. Do you happen to have any paperwork from this repair that you could share? The reason I ask is that my service advisor indicated that they had not heard of this issue before. Being able to point to a successful repair could be helpful to getting this resolved the first time around.

Many thanks in advance!
      10-30-2014, 03:29 AM   #29
tcpip
United Kingdom
Rep

I don't have any paperwork, the dealers here in the UK showed me a pile of paperwork they had from BMW, including a diagram of a modification they had to apply, I think to the wiring in the doors, but I have no paperwork at all - they kept it very low profile.

I believe from what they told me that it is an electrical fault, I think caused by a wiring issue, which causes the electronic mechanism to release the door (onto the safety catch). Replacing the locks won't (and didn't) fix it.

I suggest you ask them to contact BMW AG, as they clearly have a modification that can be carried out to fix the issue, it certainly hasn't happened again on my vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 08:34 AM   #30
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I don't have any paperwork, the dealers here in the UK showed me a pile of paperwork they had from BMW, including a diagram of a modification they had to apply, I think to the wiring in the doors, but I have no paperwork at all - they kept it very low profile.

I believe from what they told me that it is an electrical fault, I think caused by a wiring issue, which causes the electronic mechanism to release the door (onto the safety catch). Replacing the locks won't (and didn't) fix it.

I suggest you ask them to contact BMW AG, as they clearly have a modification that can be carried out to fix the issue, it certainly hasn't happened again on my vehicle.
Thanks tcpip! The dealer mentioned that BMW NA pointed them to S1B-51-16-14 which apparently deals with a door lock issue, but I yielded nothing on a Google search for that bulletin.
      10-30-2014, 09:32 PM   #31
Bibendum
Private First Class
Rep

Mine has happened again. After it was fixed. Need to take it back in. Just can be without it for a week while they mess around with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 10:49 PM   #32
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum View Post
Mine has happened again. After it was fixed. Need to take it back in. Just can be without it for a week while they mess around with it.
This is disappointing, very concerning and of course it must be frustrating for you. You mentioned they would need to do it under national supervision or something like that, what happened to that?

By the way, what is your model year? 14 or 15?
Also could you ask them exactly what did they do?
JohnGalt mentioned here his work order stated "Replaced right front door lock actuator." See if that's any different than what they did.

I am picking up my soft close equipped X5 tomorrow, and I am really concerned about this. I mentioned somewhere that I already noticed F15 soft close mechanism is already a lot slower than E70, my E70 pulls doors in right away after closing them (lightly closing them) but I noticed in my new F15 when I went to check it out, (as well as others I've seen at the showroom) take some time before they start pulling & shutting the door completely. However I noticed that doors are a lot quieter when they are shut, I am not sure if that's added by the soft close or if that's the new standard quiet doors, need to compare to other X5s.

Please keep us posted. I would really hate to be without my car because of issue like this.

I think Mods seriously need to start a sticky thread or soft door closing problems master thread, all these posts are scattered all around so it's not getting the attention it deserves.
      10-30-2014, 10:56 PM   #33
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

I found this fix from an M6 owner; anyone try it? It was from this old 7 series thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=678685

"Thanks for the helpful post on this issue. This is my first post in the forum (hello). I found this thread via my search of Google for "BMW soft close will not work." Today is the second time I have opened my M6, get in and attempt to close the door only to hear a clunk and find the door bouncing off the frame. The last time it happened, I have no idea how I fixed it, but because my key fob battery was almost dead, I mentally digested the issue based on the fob battery not opening the door.

I read this post, followed the instructions and it did not help me. Frustrated, I decided to try something different and it worked. But the best part? It was even easier than the above fix.

I started my car, held my door in the closed position as tightly as I could. I proceeded to drive down my street in first gear slowly. Next thing I know, the door latched itself shut. I stopped, opened the door and closed it again. All is good. I like THAT kind of fix!

I have no idea if I need to visit a dealership because this door issue is deteriorating, but because I am under warranty I suppose I should.

Thanks everyone. I hope this helps someone.

Kevin"

I'm doing some research on soft-close door coding and seeing if a VO Coding of any kind will help reset the sensors. Here's one thing you guys should take very seriously if you have messed up sensors/parts for your soft-close doors: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=996336.

Here is the gentleman's full retrofit of soft-close doors so you can have a brief understanding of what sort of parts are involved in the system: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...0#post15045530

Last edited by opasha; 10-30-2014 at 11:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2014, 12:04 AM   #34
HMN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC LCI, 2017 F86 X6M

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
I found this fix from an M6 owner; anyone try it? It was from this old 7 series thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=678685

"Thanks for the helpful post on this issue. This is my first post in the forum (hello). I found this thread via my search of Google for "BMW soft close will not work." Today is the second time I have opened my M6, get in and attempt to close the door only to hear a clunk and find the door bouncing off the frame. The last time it happened, I have no idea how I fixed it, but because my key fob battery was almost dead, I mentally digested the issue based on the fob battery not opening the door.

I read this post, followed the instructions and it did not help me. Frustrated, I decided to try something different and it worked. But the best part? It was even easier than the above fix.

I started my car, held my door in the closed position as tightly as I could. I proceeded to drive down my street in first gear slowly. Next thing I know, the door latched itself shut. I stopped, opened the door and closed it again. All is good. I like THAT kind of fix!

I have no idea if I need to visit a dealership because this door issue is deteriorating, but because I am under warranty I suppose I should.

Thanks everyone. I hope this helps someone.

Kevin"

I'm doing some research on soft-close door coding and seeing if a VO Coding of any kind will help reset the sensors. Here's one thing you guys should take very seriously if you have messed up sensors/parts for your soft-close doors: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=996336.

Here is the gentleman's full retrofit of soft-close doors so you can have a brief understanding of what sort of parts are involved in the system: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...0#post15045530
I think it is to do with some kind of sensors in the door. It's funny and sad in the same time that a brand as big as BMW who has great emphasis on technology and safety have such an issue.
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2014, 12:51 AM   #35
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I tried to reach bimmerfest mods to see if they can compile and put together a soft close door thread including issues from all models not just F15. If it is serious enough, it will get attention, and I think 1 driver having his doors open and throw the door ajar warning is one too many, especially for a BMW vehicle.
      10-31-2014, 01:39 AM   #36
Bibendum
Private First Class
Rep

I'll check the RO. Might be a few days before I get around to it.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 08:46 PM   #37
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Just a follow-up on my issue... The dealer worked with BMW NA and replaced all four door actuators with replacements "sent from BMW engineering" (!). They indicated that these actuators are supposed to be quicker, more powerful, and quieter than the ones originally on my vehicle. Like you, I didn't get a lot of detail on the paperwork, nor are there part numbers called out on my paperwork for the new actuators. Curious.
      11-12-2014, 11:49 PM   #38
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
Just a follow-up on my issue... The dealer worked with BMW NA and replaced all four door actuators with replacements "sent from BMW engineering" (!). They indicated that these actuators are supposed to be quicker, more powerful, and quieter than the ones originally on my vehicle. Like you, I didn't get a lot of detail on the paperwork, nor are there part numbers called out on my paperwork for the new actuators. Curious.
Are they quicker?
It always bothered me how much slower soft close doors are on F15 compared to E70.
      11-13-2014, 12:02 AM   #39
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Are they quicker?
It always bothered me how much slower soft close doors are on F15 compared to E70.
Yes, I believe they are.
      12-03-2014, 07:58 AM   #40
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
After about one month post-repair, no issues with the soft-close doors to report. So far, so good.
      12-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #41
sand99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/F80 M3

Thanks for this thread. My soft close doors are doing this now too. Taking it into the dealer today. I'll see what they say when I mention the new actuators.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 09:55 PM   #42
sand99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/F80 M3

Got to the bottom of this with my dealer.

So BMW has issued a service bulletin for the doors as gpitts mentioned. SIB 51-16-14. For this bulletin they replace the bowden cables (these are the cables used to close the doors and tailgate according to my service advisor) and clips.

The bulletin doesn't fix the problem however.

So my dealer had to open a PUMA case direct with BMW. BMW engineering took ~2 days to respond once the case was opened, and overnighted the parts to my dealer. In case anyone else on these forums runs into this issue, the PUMA case number is 60320058. They replace all 4 door actuators with the newer model.

Thanks to these forums, I clued my service advisor on to the actuators when I dropped the vehicle off, but they were obligated to try the SIB first. I actually got pretty good at repro'ing the issue so they were able to do the same to verify that the SIB fix didn't work.

In case anyone else runs into this, just reference the PUMA number above when speaking with your service advisor. Hopefully BMW will just issue a new service bulletin for this issue, as SIB 51-16-14 doesn't fix the problem.

While my X5 was in the shop, I also had the HUD fixed (SIB 62-03-14), the drive assembly for the bolsters in the driver's seat replaced (the bolster would buzz every time you used it), and the drive unit for the power tailgate replaced (it would also buzz in use). I was going to wait for the first service to get these items fixed as they're all pretty minor, but figured I'd get them addressed while it was in the shop. Our X5 is back home and running good again!
Appreciate 2
      12-18-2014, 12:38 AM   #43
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand99 View Post
The bulletin doesn't fix the problem however.
I'm really surprised (NOT) that BMW still can't make a proper fix once and for all for a car which is more than a year in production...

P.S. Thanks for your input! Forwarded it to my dealer to see what the figure out of it, because it seems I'm waiting on parts for the SIB 51-16-14 to arrive and go for a second try to fix the bloody doors.
P.P.S. Speaking of bloody doors, how about this for quality, BMW?! Noticed this only after >6m of ownership... Fail left back door alignment from the factory. Addressed the dealer as well. Oh, and just don't get me started on the orange peel paint. Seriously, the quality of today's cars across the board (BMW, Mercedes, VAG - you name it) is utter, utter BS.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 09:02 AM   #44
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen383 View Post
........... Oh, and just don't get me started on the orange peel paint.......
I don't want to add fuel to the fire, and sorry in advance for diverting the topic, but I can see the orange peel in your photo, and that is usually very difficult to photograph. That does not look right.