BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-14-2014, 02:23 PM   #1
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

I have had my 2015 X5 3.5d for almost a month now, and have experienced an issue with the mirrors that I don't think is "pilot error" so I wanted to reach out to this community to see if others have seen the same issue.

When I exit my vehicle in the garage each night, the mirrors are positioned as they should be for my driving. About every couple of days (give or take), I get in the vehicle and they are misadjusted as if someone much shorter than me has driven the vehicle. Since I'm the only driver, that's not possible. The service department is looking at things since yesterday, but since this is not readily reproducible I suspect I'll get a phone call soon saying they can't reproduce it or there is no problem. I'm asking them to keep the car for three days just to ensure that if it happens they will see it.

Has anyone else seen behavior like this, or could I be overlooking something that could cause the issue to occur?
      10-14-2014, 02:56 PM   #2
bak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6

I am also a new owner (Friday 10/10) However on my X6 if I used a different key things would change. Could you be using a different key when the mirrors are adjusted differently ?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 03:05 PM   #3
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

This occurred to me before my wife and I decided on keys. If I entered the car with a key she had used and set things to, it would go to her settings. The same with all other settings.
      10-14-2014, 03:06 PM   #4
Hang0ver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
I have had my 2015 X4 3.5d for almost a month now, and have experienced an issue with the mirrors that I don't think is "pilot error" so I wanted to reach out to this community to see if others have seen the same issue.

When I exit my vehicle in the garage each night, the mirrors are positioned as they should be for my driving. About every couple of days (give or take), I get in the vehicle and they are misadjusted as if someone much shorter than me has driven the vehicle. Since I'm the only driver, that's not possible. The service department is looking at things since yesterday, but since this is not readily reproducible I suspect I'll get a phone call soon saying they can't reproduce it or there is no problem. I'm asking them to keep the car for three days just to ensure that if it happens they will see it.

Has anyone else seen behavior like this, or could I be overlooking something that could cause the issue to occur?
are you sure you are using same key all the time. All those settings depend on the key you use..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 03:20 PM   #5
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang0ver View Post
are you sure you are using same key all the time. All those settings depend on the key you use..
Yes, I use the same key each day - there is no chance the keys are getting swapped. My wife's key to the vehicle is hanging up inside the house, and she never has it with her when she walks by my car to get into hers. This is a mystery to me for sure!
      10-14-2014, 03:21 PM   #6
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bak View Post
I am also a new owner (Friday 10/10) However on my X6 if I used a different key things would change. Could you be using a different key when the mirrors are adjusted differently ?
Congrats on the new vehicle!
      10-22-2014, 10:43 PM   #7
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
I have had my 2015 X4 3.5d for almost a month now, and have experienced an issue with the mirrors that I don't think is "pilot error" so I wanted to reach out to this community to see if others have seen the same issue.

Here's the chronology of the issue thus far:

I took the X5 in to the service department on 10/13, but they couldn't reproduce the issue. They reprogrammed the vehicle thinking it may have been a fluke in the original programming, and I picked her up the afternoon of 10/16. Murphy's Law, the issue recurred later that same night. After getting home that night, I decided to try an experiment, so I carried my wife's key with me (I left my key in the house) to try and discern whether the issue followed my key or the vehicle. That solved the problem... for a few days. Monday night the issue recurred.

I'll be taking her back on Monday, 10/27. The service department indicated they would bring in BMW NA on this issue.

More later...
      10-25-2014, 11:51 AM   #8
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

Is the seat in the same position?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #9
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip1 View Post
Is the seat in the same position?
That's a great question... I can't be 100 percent sure, but haven't noticed a difference. I *can* say, however, that the steering wheel is positioned differently when this issue occurs.
      10-25-2014, 02:54 PM   #10
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

i had the same issue, which can be remedied (i think) by programming both M1 and M2 on your seats to your desired settings
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 03:14 PM   #11
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalgoods13 View Post
i had the same issue, which can be remedied (i think) by programming both M1 and M2 on your seats to your desired settings
This is why I asked if the seats are in the same position, Id try this also.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #12
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ahhhh... that's very interesting! I just opened the door, hit the M2 button and my mirrors went to the same position that I've been experiencing intermittently. I reprogrammed both M1 and M2 to my desired settings and we'll see how it goes.

Many thanks for a great tip!
      10-27-2014, 09:37 PM   #13
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts
Quote:
Ahhhh... that's very interesting! I just opened the door, hit the M2 button and my mirrors went to the same position that I've been experiencing intermittently. I reprogrammed both M1 and M2 to my desired settings and we'll see how it goes.

Many thanks for a great tip!
Also try this. Program your seat, mirrors, presets in the car with the ignition on. Exit the vehicle. Using YOUR key that YOU will be using all the time. Press the lock button on the remote. Do not use the comfort access. Then unlock with the remote button. Not the comfort access. Report back if your problem still exists.
      10-27-2014, 11:35 PM   #14
HMN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC LCI, 2017 F86 X6M

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
I had the same issue with my old X6.
My guess is the key's battery is weak. It happened when my X6's key batteries became weak. Didn't bother replacing them since I sold it 2 months later.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 10:41 PM   #15
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
Also try this. Program your seat, mirrors, presets in the car with the ignition on. Exit the vehicle. Using YOUR key that YOU will be using all the time. Press the lock button on the remote. Do not use the comfort access. Then unlock with the remote button. Not the comfort access. Report back if your problem still exists.
Thanks skalberti. I gather than your theory is that the comfort access system is misbehaving? The X5 is at the dealer at the moment, so we'll see what they come up with first, but that will be something to try should the issue persist post-repair.

Interestingly, today I got a report that BMWNA has authorized the dealer to replace the mirrors' motors on both sides, which I thought was a little odd. I can't imagine that the mirror settings are stored in the motors, but it seems that they want to work their way back from there.
      10-28-2014, 10:44 PM   #16
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamad Nasser View Post
I had the same issue with my old X6.
My guess is the key's battery is weak. It happened when my X6's key batteries became weak. Didn't bother replacing them since I sold it 2 months later.
I suppose that's possible, but it would seem unlikely since this vehicle is only a month old and the issue has happened with both key fobs now.
      10-28-2014, 11:34 PM   #17
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts
Quote:
Thanks skalberti. I gather than your theory is that the comfort access system is misbehaving? The X5 is at the dealer at the moment, so we'll see what they come up with first, but that will be something to try should the issue persist post-repair.

Interestingly, today I got a report that BMWNA has authorized the dealer to replace the mirrors' motors on both sides, which I thought was a little odd. I can't imagine that the mirror settings are stored in the motors, but it seems that they want to work their way back from there.
From what I was told by my dealer, when you set all the features to your liking and then exit the vehicle and use the remote to lock the car, that it's supposed to program your key fob with your settings. So anytime your car sees that particular key it remembers your settings so when you get in the car, everything is to your liking.
      10-29-2014, 08:53 AM   #18
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i had similar issue with 08 e90, side mirrors were always facing down after being adjusted..eventually after 3months of owning it i reported it to bmw...had service advisor keep the car for a day, he also experience same issue. Long story short, bmw couldnt determine issue, parts were swapped out of demo car that were related to mirror functions... i think its memory module that store the settings.

most likely its a module thats not communicating properly, it resets itself after the car has been parked over long period of time.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 09:08 AM   #19
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
From what I was told by my dealer, when you set all the features to your liking and then exit the vehicle and use the remote to lock the car, that it's supposed to program your key fob with your settings. So anytime your car sees that particular key it remembers your settings so when you get in the car, everything is to your liking.
Gotcha. I have done that, but the issue persisted. I thought your suggestion meant to avoid using the Comfort Access entry altogether to separate that feature from the standard key lock/unlock.

I'm hoping that the dealer can make some headway with BMW NA on this matter.
      10-29-2014, 09:15 AM   #20
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
i had similar issue with 08 e90, side mirrors were always facing down after being adjusted..eventually after 3months of owning it i reported it to bmw...had service advisor keep the car for a day, he also experience same issue. Long story short, bmw couldnt determine issue, parts were swapped out of demo car that were related to mirror functions... i think its memory module that store the settings.

most likely its a module thats not communicating properly, it resets itself after the car has been parked over long period of time.
I tend to agree with you that it is likely something related to the reading of the key during unlocking that is getting confused. Somehow the wrong settings are being transmitted to the mirrors, seats, and steering wheel.

This is a squirrely one for sure... I've had the X5 in the garage over the weekend when it hasn't been driven, and the next time I start the vehicle the issue will show up, but then I've also seen it occur after a short stop running errands. When I was driving it to the dealer the first time for this issue, stopped at Starbucks 1/4 mile away from the dealership and was out in less than 5 minutes. When I started the vehicle, the issue happened again. Long and short, it doesn't seem to be related to the length of time the vehicle sits, it's pretty much random in terms of its occurrence.
      10-29-2014, 10:11 AM   #21
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
keep track how many times you have visited the service dept for same issue...
you can always contact BMW NA tell them what your experiencing with your new X5. They will send BMW Engineer to check it out. All work has to be approve thru BMW NA.

You shouldnt have to deal with this issue on new vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 02:08 PM   #22
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
keep track how many times you have visited the service dept for same issue...
you can always contact BMW NA tell them what your experiencing with your new X5. They will send BMW Engineer to check it out. All work has to be approve thru BMW NA.

You shouldnt have to deal with this issue on new vehicle.
I agree with you, this shouldn't happen to a fairly expensive new car... Here's the e-mail I just sent BMW NA:
Hi,

First off, I want you to know that I don’t normally complain about issues with my car which are being worked, as is the case with the concerns I am about to express. My dealer since I’ve lived in the Beaverton, OR area is Kuni BMW, and they are a WONDERFUL dealership, so this is NOT a complaint about my dealer in any way.

I ordered my 2015 X5 3.5d on July 30, 2014 with a very robust configuration, as it is a vehicle that I would like to keep for many years, and I took delivery on September 20. Beautiful vehicle, and overall I am quite impressed with the technological advances made since my previous vehicle, a 2011 E92 M3. I have had two issues, however, that I would like to share with you.

Issue #1: Mirror changes upon entering the vehicle
On numerous occasions, I have entered the vehicle to observe that the mirrors are not in the same position as when I exited the vehicle. When this issue occurs, the mirrors end up in the same spot as when I’ve experienced this issue in the past, and I’ve recently noticed that when this issue occurs the steering wheel is also in a different position. I am using the same key each time, and I am the only driver of the vehicle. This week, I actually observed this issue happen after I closed my driver’s side door, and noticed the mirrors move to the same position I’ve seen in the past. Additionally, the steering wheel position changed to a different position than I have it programmed to be in. After discussing this with other owners, it seems that upon entry of the vehicle, what is happening is that the vehicle is selecting the second memory settings (M2) as opposed to the first memory setting (M1) that we in place when I left the vehicle. The issue is not easily reproduced, and there does not appear to be any pattern to its occurrence that I can discern.

Issue #2: “Pop” when driving, followed by door ajar indication
My vehicle has soft-close doors, which ensures that the doors are securely closed. On two occasions over the past month of ownership, I have been driving the vehicle and heard a pronounced “pop” sound which is then followed by the instrument cluster indicating the my driver’s door was ajar. This is concerning to me given the safety aspect of such an issue. I understand that there is a safety catch involved in holding the door in place, but given that the vehicle secured the doors in the first place, I am puzzled why or how this occurred.

Again, I am writing to express my concern over the issues I’ve experienced with a new $80,000+ BMW X5. I understand that things happen, and that these are technologically advanced vehicles. That said, I buy BMWs for the driving experience they provide and for the quality of design and manufacture. I am hopeful that my first month’s experience is not an indication of any changes to those ownership expectations.

Best regards,
Blah blah blah