BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-21-2014, 12:56 AM   #1
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Debris On Road Alert -What the!

Just got picked up at the airport by wife. She told me that earlier today she was driving in heavy rain, and she got a warning triangle alert in HUD saying "debris on road", nearly simultaneously the iDrive display switched from music to map showing the debris on the road. There was no debris.

I searched the manual, and there is no mention of this.

I am guessing either:

- heavy rain caused either or both KAFAS and ACC radar to see something it thought was debris

- map traffic assistant may have picked up a road repair /debris report, if such things are reported.

Any ideas? Anyone see this before?
      11-21-2014, 01:01 AM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
Just got picked up at the airport by wife. She told me that earlier today she was driving in heavy rain, and she got a warning triangle alert in HUD saying "debris on road", nearly simultaneously the iDrive display switched from music to map showing the debris on the road. There was no debris.

I am guessing either:

- heavy rain caused either or both KAFAS and ACC radar to see something it thought was debris

- map traffic assistant may have picked up a road repair /debris report, if such things are reported.

I'm positive it's related to traffic/navigation/radio weather alerts/bmw online services. Since traffic is live along with online services, it is probably all related. There's no debris warning sensors or anything like that. Here's some more info about it: http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=946461

PS: WELCOME BACK!!
      11-21-2014, 05:04 AM   #3
Hang0ver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

I got that too recently. As opasha mentioned, it comes from nav system alerts
Appreciate 2
      11-21-2014, 05:38 AM   #4
Wobbles
Second Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F02, F13, F15

Welcome back @MattBianco! Hope the 20 hour flight was an enjoyable one
Appreciate 2
      11-21-2014, 09:05 AM   #5
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

@Opasha and @Hang0ver thank you guys. This car is just packed with way more technology than I ever imagined.

@Wobbles, I thought her car is freaking out due to karmic payback from BMW gods for not paying you a visit.
      11-21-2014, 09:46 AM   #6
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

Quote:

I am guessing either:

I've seen that over here in the UK too, happened to me on the motorway. I put it down to live traffic updates.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #7
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Here is my guess.. Lane departure warning is disabled or unable to function because there is debris on the road, or the camera cannot detect the lane markers due to very heavy rain.

Welcome back @MattBianco.
      11-21-2014, 11:11 AM   #8
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

I'm sure mine showed up on the satnav as an alert, similar popup to when it recommends a diversion.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 11:49 AM   #9
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Then it sounds like Navigation re-route function, maybe there was an accident down the road somewhere? Gotta love these BMW puzzlers, with no mention of it in manual.
      11-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #10
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@mattbianco, welcome back.
Yes, I've seen it couple times. It is good to know even though there was nothing on the freeway. Put me on alert to make sure nothing going will cause damage to my car.
Regardless being careful, I got my first ticket this morning on the X5. I hope it won't ruin my day.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2014, 05:54 PM   #11
Jenya B
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: Z4 , X5 F15d Msport

i had once in Canada , it comes from Navi Traffic alerts
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 02:47 PM   #12
Socal2025
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

I travel a lot on highways and I will get a message like this at least once a week. It indicates debris, disabled cars, accidents etc ahead in your path. This has to do with the navigation system. If you heading, say, East bound on I-10 it will assume you will be there for a while and tell you of incoming hazards.
But to be honest, the alerts I have received are not really accurate.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2014, 12:53 PM   #13
Dash52
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 740i Xdrive

I saw that this morning on my 2015 X5. Actually stated .1 mile ahead when I clicked on I drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 04:49 PM   #14
carygott
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 Cayenne, 2013 VW Golf R,

Tech info ?

You all sound really informed about the X5.
Just ordered a loaded X5 5.0.
I'm looking for tech / design BMW articles (pdf) about the engine, transmission and suspension.
Where do I find that info?
Thanks

Cary
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 05:00 PM   #15
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carygott View Post
You all sound really informed about the X5.
Just ordered a loaded X5 5.0.
I'm looking for tech / design BMW articles (pdf) about the engine, transmission and suspension.
Where do I find that info?
Thanks

Cary
Let me be the first to exclude himself from the "really informed" pack. However, I do have a recommendation: try to post this as a new thread, and I bet we can get good traction. It will get lost here.

You may also want to put it under the general BMW discussion forum as whoever has such PDFs likely has them for all the various drivetrains produced.

You are just 45 min. up the road from me, and close to several other people in this forum. Welcome on board Cary, and congrats on the order.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 06:02 PM   #16
carygott
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 Cayenne, 2013 VW Golf R,

Thanks

Quote:
Let me be the first to exclude himself from the "really informed" pack. However, I do have a recommendation: try to post this as a new thread, and I bet we can get good traction. It will get lost here.

You may also want to put it under the general BMW discussion forum as whoever has such PDFs likely has them for all the various drivetrains produced.

You are just 45 min. up the road from me, and close to several other people in this forum. Welcome on board Cary, and congrats on the order.
Thanks for the comment.

Come to St Helena and eat at our restaurant, Gott's Roadside. Love to see your new ride. Can't wait to get mine.
I'm in the wine business too and make wine for lots of people and start wineries.
Cary
cary@carygott.com
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 01:05 PM   #17
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I just got this but mine said Object On Road detected. I wasn't in navigation mode either.

Also last week, (I thought this was extremely cool) even before I hit the congestion on the highway, it just popped up saying "lanes blocked, vehicle on fire" and in fact the moment I got the message I could see down the highway there was a major slowdown and Navigation had a little icon that I could press and it could give me alternate roads. I don't know what info this alternate road would be base that on, but I assume it will just give me parallel roads or side roads such as service road, etc that follows same direction.

I stayed on the road, noticed that it was being cleared, and did not impact the overall commute. It was pretty cool.
      02-12-2015, 01:11 PM   #18
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Well, that does give me an idea.. if anyone wants to communicate this to the BMW engineers, I would love a "Stench ahead" warning that would come in very handy for people driving down the NJ turnpike, particularly near the sewage plants around Giants (sorry, MetLife) stadium. Last thing any human being needs is to have their windows open driving that stretch of road. For that matter, I pity everyone I see in a car that doesn't have one of these fancy carbon filters. I never thought they were anything but a gimmick, until I drove that stretch of road in a rental once. Those filters in fact do wonders!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 01:51 PM   #19
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
I just got this but mine said Object On Road detected. .... Also last week, "lanes blocked, vehicle on fire... It was pretty cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Well, that does give me an idea.. if anyone wants to communicate this to the BMW engineers,...
The company that feeds the data is Inrix. They are a very professional outfit and Porsche just made a strategic investment in them.

I contacted them about my mystery X spot on my navi ....they kept me looped in on their progress regarding an engineering issue that was producing the road closure in error. Issue resolve.

They have Android and iOS apps where users can report hazards. I recommended that they consider working with BMW to imbed the reporting feature in manufacturer apps. They are also a data provider to Porsche, Ford, Audi, Chrysler, Jaguar, Volvo, and others.

Lastly, they have a neat traffic trend analytic tool as well: http://www.inrix.com/scorecard/

I don't know about smell warnings though
      02-12-2015, 03:07 PM   #20
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
The company that feeds the data is Inrix. They are a very professional outfit and Porsche just made a strategic investment in them.

I contacted them about my mystery X spot on my navi ....they kept me looped in on their progress regarding an engineering issue that was producing the road closure in error. Issue resolve.

They have Android and iOS apps where users can report hazards. I recommended that they consider working with BMW to imbed the reporting feature in manufacturer apps. They are also a data provider to Porsche, Ford, Audi, Chrysler, Jaguar, Volvo, and others.

Lastly, they have a neat traffic trend analytic tool as well: http://www.inrix.com/scorecard/

I don't know about smell warnings though
Very cool stuff. I suppose smelly-vision is a pipe dream too
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 07:50 PM   #21
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I contacted them about my mystery X spot on my navi ....
Of course you did.

02-13-2015, 12:08 AM   #22
toplessrydr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E89 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carygott View Post
Thanks for the comment.

Come to St Helena and eat at our restaurant, Gott's Roadside. Love to see your new ride. Can't wait to get mine.
I'm in the wine business too and make wine for lots of people and start wineries.
Cary
cary@carygott.com
That's your place? Stop by a few times visiting the winery over the year. Your place is always packed! Maybe next time I get up there I have to contact you first. LOL. I'll be making a trip thru there in the next few weeks when my X5 is delivered.
Appreciate 0