BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-02-2014, 12:47 PM   #1
vj950
Rep
Drives: X5

Real time traffic and connecteddrive

My newly ordered 2015 X5 will arrive this week. I do not have Enhanced bluetooth/USB package, but am planning on coding.

I wasn't sure about real-time traffic information during navigation. I am under the impression that it is included as a standard feature (subscription for 3 years included). Could someone please let me know if this is not correct?

Also, I found confusing info on "Connecteddrive" feature. Per my understanding, this feature allows you to remotely unlock/start your car using smartphone. Will it be already present in the car or can I add it by coding? I know that there is a separate subscription for this feature.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj950 View Post
My newly ordered 2015 X5 will arrive this week. I do not have Enhanced bluetooth/USB package, but am planning on coding.

I wasn't sure about real-time traffic information during navigation. I am under the impression that it is included as a standard feature (subscription for 3 years included). Could someone please let me know if this is not correct?

Also, I found confusing info on "Connecteddrive" feature. Per my understanding, this feature allows you to remotely unlock/start your car using smartphone. Will it be already present in the car or can I add it by coding? I know that there is a separate subscription for this feature.
1) Enhanced Bluetooth (6NS) can be coded (you just won't get the phone cradle or the second mic - not necessary though to hear passenger speak).

2) Real Time Traffic is included for models 2013 and up as part of the ConnectedDrive Services (this is a 3 year subscription)

3) BMW Assist (free 10 year subscription upon buying any 2014+ BMW) is included and this allows you access to your car with ConnectedServices internet connection from your cell phone. Just call up BMW Assist to activate everything.
      12-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #3
vj950
Rep
Drives: X5

thank you for your help. I guess I was confused between enhanced USB/Bluetooth and connecteddrive.

My another question: How to activate a/c or heater remotely via 'BMW Remote' smartphone app. I think it is called as Comfort Ventilation. The description states that apart from your BMW Assist contract you need Remote Services option (option code 6AP). I don't know if this is a special piece of hardware that you need or just needed to be activated by the dealer. I didn't find any info on BMW USA website.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 03:34 PM   #4
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj950 View Post
thank you for your help. I guess I was confused between enhanced USB/Bluetooth and connecteddrive.

My another question: How to activate a/c or heater remotely via 'BMW Remote' smartphone app. I think it is called as Comfort Ventilation. The description states that apart from your BMW Assist contract you need Remote Services option (option code 6AP). I don't know if this is a special piece of hardware that you need or just needed to be activated by the dealer. I didn't find any info on BMW USA website.
I'm quite positive everyone has 6AP stock in all their F15s. Either way, I'm not sure how up to date the BMW Remote application is, but you would have to download it and see. There is no coding needed for this. It is strictly based on your BMW Assist account sign in (ALL CAPS) and password. So, yeah, just call BMW Assist: 888-333-6118. You should provide them with your full name, address, VIN, or whatever they ask to verify who you are. Then they will guide you on how to set things up. Let me know if you need more info.
      12-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #5
possib1edoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
I'm quite positive everyone has 6AP stock in all their F15s. Either way, I'm not sure how up to date the BMW Remote application is, but you would have to download it and see. There is no coding needed for this. It is strictly based on your BMW Assist account sign in (ALL CAPS) and password. So, yeah, just call BMW Assist: 888-333-6118. You should provide them with your full name, address, VIN, or whatever they ask to verify who you are. Then they will guide you on how to set things up. Let me know if you need more info.
Hey hows it going? I am quite confused by this. I want the feature where I can start my car remotely (pre-heat). Is this possible? If so how much does this cost per year?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 04:28 PM   #6
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by possib1edoc View Post
Hey hows it going? I am quite confused by this. I want the feature where I can start my car remotely (pre-heat). Is this possible? If so how much does this cost per year?
I know you can get your car to have the set temperature before you enter using the BMW Remote App (iPhone seems to have better control over this since Android app is very limited or does not exist for anything up to date). This service is all free. I have a Note 4 (android) so I don't have the app. However, the app requires a BMW ASSIST account (free for 10 years).

As far as remote engine start, that is something custom you will have to do from someone experienced.
      12-02-2014, 04:31 PM   #7
possib1edoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
I know you can get your car to have the set temperature before you enter using the BMW Remote App (iPhone seems to have better control over this since Android app is very limited or does not exist for anything up to date). This service is all free. I have a Note 4 (android) so I don't have the app. However, the app requires a BMW ASSIST account (free for 10 years).

As far as remote engine start, that is something custom you will have to do from someone experienced.
Thanks for the explanation! One more question, won't it be bad for the car for it to turn on the heater without the car being on?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 04:36 PM   #8
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation! One more question, won't it be bad for the car for it to turn on the heater without the car being on?
This explains it best. Read from post #4 down: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=994912
      12-02-2014, 05:19 PM   #9
possib1edoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha
Quote:
This explains it best. Read from post #4 down: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=994912
Thanks! Appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 05:21 PM   #10
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! Appreciate it!
You're very welcome .
      12-03-2014, 01:39 AM   #11
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

@possib1edoc Do you mean S536A Auxiliary heating which you control via a separate key fob? Excellent optional extra available in UK, don't think you have it in US.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 04:40 AM   #12
possib1edoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton
@possib1edoc Do you mean S536A Auxiliary heating which you control via a separate key fob? Excellent optional extra available in UK, don't think you have it in US.
Ya unfortunately it looks like there is no way to pre-heat my car here in the US...you guys are lucky for getting that and the digital cluster
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 04:47 AM   #13
Terp335
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 2011 335i M Sport

So, real time traffic requires a subscription now? I have this in my e90 for free, assuming all we're referring to is the color coding of the roads on the gray map.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 05:13 AM   #14
possib1edoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terp335
So, real time traffic requires a subscription now? I have this in my e90 for free, assuming all we're referring to is the color coding of the roads on the gray map.
I thought that was free for 3years? I have yet to get my car though
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 05:28 AM   #15
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Ya unfortunately it looks like there is no way to pre-heat my car here in the US...you guys are lucky for getting that and the digital cluster
True, but we pay for it...big time!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 07:29 AM   #16
Tom Europe
Rep
Drives: 2015X5 30d

Hallo,

Unfortunately - in Europe we have to pay for many additional things. For RTTI we have to pay, for ambient light we have to pay, for remote services we have to pay and for many, many things that are standard in the US. Also - we have to pay almostt double price for standard :-)

I remember (many years ago) I had to pay (as the option) for cup-holder in e60 (approx. $150). In f15 it is standard now :-)

BR

T_E
Appreciate 0