BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-10-2018, 10:29 AM   #1
RDA1
Rep
Drives: '15 X5

Hitch - Factory versus Stealth

I have been reading threads in here for a while on hitch options for my 2015 X5 with M sport package. I have narrowed it down to the factory or Execuhitch or Stealth Hitch options. I like the factory option as I can get the hitch first and install the wiring and controller later (as I plan to use it for a bicycle carrier initially). This appears to be the full list I'd need for the factory option:

82 71 2 349 499 - Retrofit kit tow hitch cross tube
82 71 2 349 501 - Retrofit kit tow hitch module Class 3
82 71 2 349 500 - Retrofit kit tow hitch wiring harness
71 60 6 889 589 - Control unit for trailer hitch

I can do the first two parts initially and add the last two once I plan to tow.

If I did the Execuhitch or Stealth Hitch, I'd get the 2" receiver and the Active wiring harness. Execuhitch offers the OEM harness (harness and control unit I believe), but is Stealth Hitch's active harness actually the factory harness?

I can't tell if the Execuhitch option for this model is the automated or the manual version.

I like that the Execuhitch and Stealth are pretty invisible, the factory option also appears to be pretty out of the way as well.

Pricing is pretty similar overall so that isn't really a factor.

Any additional thoughts?

Last edited by RDA1; 05-10-2018 at 10:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 08:56 PM   #2
SNAGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDA1 View Post
I have been reading threads in here for a while on hitch options for my 2015 X5 with M sport package. I have narrowed it down to the factory or Execuhitch or Stealth Hitch options. I like the factory option as I can get the hitch first and install the wiring and controller later (as I plan to use it for a bicycle carrier initially). This appears to be the full list I'd need for the factory option:

82 71 2 349 499 - Retrofit kit tow hitch cross tube
82 71 2 349 501 - Retrofit kit tow hitch module Class 3
82 71 2 349 500 - Retrofit kit tow hitch wiring harness
71 60 6 889 589 - Control unit for trailer hitch

I can do the first two parts initially and add the last two once I plan to tow.

If I did the Execuhitch or Stealth Hitch, I'd get the 2" receiver and the Active wiring harness. Execuhitch offers the OEM harness (harness and control unit I believe), but is Stealth Hitch's active harness actually the factory harness?

I can't tell if the Execuhitch option for this model is the automated or the manual version.

I like that the Execuhitch and Stealth are pretty invisible, the factory option also appears to be pretty out of the way as well.

Pricing is pretty similar overall so that isn't really a factor.

Any additional thoughts?
I have the Execuhitch on my X5M and love it and wouldn't go any other way.

When you don't have the receiver connected no one would ever know your SAV can tow ... Which is a good thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 06:32 AM   #3
Live4USMC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport/2016 340XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAGuy View Post
I have the Execuhitch on my X5M and love it and wouldn't go any other way.

When you don't have the receiver connected no one would ever know your SAV can tow ... Which is a good thing.
I’m extremely happy with the stealth hitch I put on my x5. I have the m sport package and I was concerned I would have to cut the bumper but it fit without issue. It’s also stealth and when the ball is removed completely invisible. The owner Steve was very helpful when I had 20 questions about the install and fitment of the kit and even honored a several months expired $100 off coupon when I asked him for it. Couldn’t be happier. The hitch also fits much tighter than an American style receiver hitch that has a lot of play. It is much quieter than the hitch setup on my prior tow vehicle which was a Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 09:00 AM   #4
RDA1
Rep

Thank you both. I think I am now leaning more towards either the Execuhitch or Stealth. I am curious if either performs better in the north with salt exposure.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 01:07 PM   #5
BettyWhite
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 335d

RDA1, I have had both hitches the execuhitch on my 2015 X5 Diesel and now a Stealth Hitch on my 2017. I opted for the Stealth Hitch because the receiver is made from stainless steel and should not rust. I had left the drop on the Execuhitch last camping season, at the end of the season it was rusted in and I had to hit it with a hammer to break the surface rust loose.
So I opted for the Stealth Hitch and hopefully will not have the same issue take place.
Also when I purchased the 2017, it had a factory hitch on it. I took that off because the locking mechanism looked like it was made of cheap pot metal and I didn't want to lose the trailer if it broke.
Appreciate 1
Sedoy680.00
      05-15-2018, 03:24 PM   #6
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

What's the towing capacity of Stealth Hitch? I know that Execuhitch can do 7700 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyWhite View Post
RDA1, I have had both hitches the execuhitch on my 2015 X5 Diesel and now a Stealth Hitch on my 2017. I opted for the Stealth Hitch because the receiver is made from stainless steel and should not rust. I had left the drop on the Execuhitch last camping season, at the end of the season it was rusted in and I had to hit it with a hammer to break the surface rust loose.
So I opted for the Stealth Hitch and hopefully will not have the same issue take place.
Also when I purchased the 2017, it had a factory hitch on it. I took that off because the locking mechanism looked like it was made of cheap pot metal and I didn't want to lose the trailer if it broke.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 06:43 PM   #7
BettyWhite
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedoy View Post
What's the towing capacity of Stealth Hitch? I know that Execuhitch can do 7700 lbs.
The Stealth Hitch is rated at 7,000 lbs. But personally I would not want to tow over 75% of factory rating due to extra wear and tear on the drive train. Our trailer is about 3,600 lbs loaded. With the new vehicle and the Stealth Hitch it is much more stable. Probably 90% suspension and 10% hitch. I always felt like the Execuhitch drop had some play when under a load.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 06:48 PM   #8
BettyWhite
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here are some pictures of the cheap pot metal on the factory hitch and of the rust on the Execuhitch.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Sedoy680.00
      05-16-2018, 09:18 AM   #9
RDA1
Rep

Quote:
Here are some pictures of the cheap pot metal on the factory hitch and of the rust on the Execuhitch.
Very helpful, thank you. Any pics of the similar area on the Stealth?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 09:42 AM   #10
BettyWhite
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

RDA1, I will try to post them tonight.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 06:16 PM   #11
BettyWhite
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDA1 View Post
Very helpful, thank you. Any pics of the similar area on the Stealth?
RDA1,
Here are the pics of the Stealth Hitch. As you can see the block is stainless steel. I think a good thing that cuts down on rust is the water intrusion protection. The Stealth Hitch uses a molded rubber plug to completely seal the block device and the Invisihitch/Execuhitch used a plastic door that is spring loaded and does not seal the block device allowing water to intrude when driving when drop is not installed.

Sorry the pictures are upside down of the block device. Stupid IPhone!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Sedoy680.00
gan23202.50
      05-16-2018, 07:58 PM   #12
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

Great info thanks, looks solid.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 08:31 AM   #13
RDA1
Rep

Quote:
RDA1,
Here are the pics of the Stealth Hitch. As you can see the block is stainless steel. I think a good thing that cuts down on rust is the water intrusion protection. The Stealth Hitch uses a molded rubber plug to completely seal the block device and the Invisihitch/Execuhitch used a plastic door that is spring loaded and does not seal the block device allowing water to intrude when driving when drop is not installed.

Sorry the pictures are upside down of the block device. Stupid IPhone!
Thank you, that is very helpful, too bad users have to post pics like this and you can't get them from the company websites. I truly appreciate your help and follow through.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 03:41 PM   #14
RDA1
Rep

I ended up buying the Stealth Hitch today, thanks for the help all, I'll add more input in this thread if I believe it will help a future buyer choose between the three options.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 02:00 PM   #15
ZitoMD
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 x35i

Not trying to bring up an old thread but you both have had the Stealth Hitch for about two years. How have they held up? Any additional comments/recommendations? Looking to add one to by ‘14 X5 for mostly light duty utility trailer for runs to the dump with yard waste and possibly in the future a 12 to 16’ Boat.

TIA!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 04:03 PM   #16
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZitoMD View Post
Not trying to bring up an old thread but you both have had the Stealth Hitch for about two years. How have they held up? Any additional comments/recommendations? Looking to add one to by ‘14 X5 for mostly light duty utility trailer for runs to the dump with yard waste and possibly in the future a 12 to 16’ Boat.

TIA!
Chiming in, my Stealth is still working great after a couple MI winters.
My only issue is car washes in the winter, spraying off the underbody, seems to eat the rubber plug. I have lost 2 of them already.
The black painted parts have started to show some rust, especially the loops you hooks up the safety chains to. Would be nice if those two loops were made with stainless also...
Appreciate 0