BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5M (F85) and X6M (F86) Forum

04-26-2018, 04:53 AM   #1
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X6M

Question Best tune for the F85/F86? RaceChip or JB4 or VF or BOOTMOD3?

Anyone have any idea which is the best? Seems like there are many different options out there from the RaceChip GTS Black to JB4 to VF Engineering to BOOTMOD3 to Dinan, etc. Has anyone gotten their F85/F86 tuned and in love with the results? Has anyone gotten their F85/F86 tuned and hated the results? Please share experiences!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 08:02 PM   #2
Rennology
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: IG @rennology

Garage List
I have racechip GTS black. This is the only tune I have tried so I can't compare it to anything else but I can tell you I felt the difference instantly. It totally transformed the car and can't imagine how much more or better these other tunes can do.

RC seems to be the preference for most people with an F85/86 and I have yet to see any major issues. I also installed it myself which took about 1.5 hours. Best part is I can revert to stock by disconnecting the computer and hiding the wire in 1 minute.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 08:42 PM   #3
AutoTalent
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt | e60 M5 6mt

I sell all of these tunes (other than VF) and bootmod3 is the best. Not even close. Feel free to PM me with any questions or if interested in pricing!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 09:40 PM   #4
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck. View Post
I have racechip GTS black. This is the only tune I have tried so I can't compare it to anything else but I can tell you I felt the difference instantly. It totally transformed the car and can't imagine how much more or better these other tunes can do.

RC seems to be the preference for most people with an F85/86 and I have yet to see any major issues. I also installed it myself which took about 1.5 hours. Best part is I can revert to stock by disconnecting the computer and hiding the wire in 1 minute.

Good luck!
Appreciate the insight! I just wish someone had done a before/after dyno with the RaceChip GTS Black so we could see the actual number gain.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 09:59 PM   #5
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoTalent View Post
I sell all of these tunes (other than VF) and bootmod3 is the best. Not even close. Feel free to PM me with any questions or if interested in pricing!
Just watched this. Pretty impressed!

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 07:07 AM   #6
scotty91ss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19 M5, '15 X5M,'91Chev454ss

I have ECU Tuner Group. My "tuner guy" uses them and likes them. I have had it for 3 years and I really like it and have had no issues. It is my daily driver and I constantly switch into and out of M mode. I also take it to the track 1 or 2 times a summer and pull of a 1/4 mile time of 11.83. (FI Exhaust & Downpipe).
I also really like FI. Press of a button open up the exhaust or I keep it quiet, no matter what M mode I use. Nice quality as well.
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2018, 08:20 AM   #7
aparedes
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2CS

I think they are several factors including if you would like to preserve your factory warranty. Which Dinan is the only company I am aware offer to support and maintain the warranty. There is tons of knowledge on this board but I assume if warranty is not an issue, a flash tune would be your best option. Look into DME as well.

A
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 07:52 AM   #8
atxgt3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 E92, 17 X5M, 15 Huracan

I had a Dinan stage 1, and driveability was so bad that I tore it out after a year and got an ECU tune. The Dinan tune is so gutless at lower RPMs that it makes the car downright dangerous to drive, because when you put the pedal down trying to get into traffic you get nothing.. nothing.. nothing.. Then EVERYTHING. It's got the ketchup bottle turbo lag of an 80s turbo car, and with 700hp in a heavy car, that's scary. I had to drive the car in the most aggressive transmission setting to keep the revs up so it stayed above the dead zone below 2500rpm.

The ECU tune is a night and day difference, and now I have power everywhere and no driveability issues.

I haven't tried any other piggybacks, so I don't know if they suffer the same issue as the Dinan. I've heard it can be a characteristic of piggybacks that they lack low end power, but I've only had the Dinan so I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 07:57 PM   #9
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Probably a dumb question, but does the bootmod3 leave any trace of the flash being present after being flashed back to stock?
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 09:05 PM   #10
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
Probably a dumb question, but does the bootmod3 leave any trace of the flash being present after being flashed back to stock?
Not dumb at all. I’m curious to know that too! I suppose if the flash tune increased the redline by 200rpm as some do, that would show in overrev reports on the ECU and if a bmw tech saw thousands of those (one from every time you floor it) they would know you did something.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 09:07 PM   #11
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCali View Post
Quote:
Not dumb at all. I’m curious to know that too! I suppose if the flash tune increased the redline by 200rpm as some do, that would show in overrev reports on the ECU and if a bmw tech saw thousands of those (one from every time you floor it) they would know you did something.
True. Audi makes life super hard, but I want to say that some companies figured out how to reset flash counters; etc.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 09:20 PM   #12
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

Quote:
Quote:
Yes warranty is gone. With JB4 you have a good chance of not paying the bill yourself.....
      05-15-2018, 12:07 PM   #13
khcwang
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M

Garage List
racechip GTS black

Quote:

Good luck!
May I ask how long do you have the racechip GTS black installed in your X5M and how many miles have you driven with it installed?

Did you install the racechip GTS black when your X5M is new?

I bought my X5M 2 weeks ago and just ordered the racechip GTS black from Ben. Very excited to receive the racechip GTS black but somehow a tiny bit hesitate to install it.....
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12914.00
      05-15-2018, 01:48 PM   #14
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by khcwang View Post
May I ask how long do you have the racechip GTS black installed in your X5M and how many miles have you driven with it installed?

I bought my X5M 2 weeks ago and just ordered the racechip GTS black from Ben. Very excited to receive the racechip GTS black but somehow a tiny bit hesitate to install it.....
My suggestion, life is short.
You can always install them and drive it moderately like you would during break-in period.
Or, run it with lower map on the RaceChip during break-in period.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 04:15 PM   #15
Rennology
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: IG @rennology

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by khcwang View Post

I installed the race chip when I was at about 5k miles. I have been using it for almost 2k miles. You should not hesitate with the install. Just like Ben said, run it at a lower map like 5 and then adjust from there. I can tell you I went to map 7 within 24 hours and have not once thought about switching it back. I have no doubt in my mind you will enjoy it.

Just FYI, I drive pretty aggressively once the motor is at proper temp. Usually I'll go WOT at least once or twice a day when I have shotgun at a red light and have yet to experience a single issue.
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12914.00
      05-17-2018, 10:35 AM   #16
khcwang
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M

Garage List
Quote:
I installed the race chip when I was at about 5k miles. I have been using it for almost 2k miles. You should not hesitate with the install. Just like Ben said, run it at a lower map like 5 and then adjust from there. I can tell you I went to map 7 within 24 hours and have not once thought about switching it back. I have no doubt in my mind you will enjoy it.

Just FYI, I drive pretty aggressively once the motor is at proper temp. Usually I'll go WOT at least once or twice a day when I have shotgun at a red light and have yet to experience a single issue.
Thank you very much!

I will receive my GTS Black today.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 08:49 AM   #17
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Go with BM3. They have amazing tunes and customer support. Not one problem with their tune installed on my friend's X5M for ~7 months.
      05-28-2018, 10:03 AM   #18
aparedes
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Quote:
Any flash tune will be detected by the BMW software. I check with couple of BMW mechanics and former mechanics who now own their own shop and offer the tunes. I am aware of couple of people already that have had engine/tranny issue (likely bad tunes) and they were out of luck with their warranty. IF BMW looks, they will find the tune even if reflash to stock as they will see the ECU was tamper with.

Depending where you live you might be ok. Here in Miami, Braman didnt even want to inspect my car on a "check engine light" because I had a Dinan Tune (which btw was installed at a BMW Dealership).

I have been considering doing a flash but the above mentioned items, losing the warranty and having trouble servicing my car has held me from doing so.

A
Appreciate 1
jc05e46m3845.50
      05-28-2018, 03:42 PM   #19
jm600rr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8C Coupe

After thinking long and hard on which tune to go with, went with RaceChip gts black. Had flash tune on my m4 but after getting flagged left a bitter taste and would rather not risk it again.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12914.00
      05-31-2018, 02:16 AM   #20
jm600rr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8C Coupe

Got the RC GTS black in today from Ben@RGSport and its awesome. Was confused a bit on the app activation but Ben responded quickly and got me all squared away. This is how the car should have came from the factory. Very pleased with the tune.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12914.00
      05-31-2018, 10:59 AM   #21
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm600rr View Post
Got the RC GTS black in today from Ben@RGSport and its awesome. Was confused a bit on the app activation but Ben responded quickly and got me all squared away. This is how the car should have came from the factory. Very pleased with the tune.
Thank you for the feedback.
Glad that you like it.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0