11-11-2014, 04:25 PM   #1
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 540i M Sport 2018

**proposed Uk Order** M50 D

Hey guys,

Firstly thanks for the help on the 4-zone thread!

The time has come to trade in the F10 530dM for a new F15 M50d

Here is the proposed spec... See PDF

Any suggestions on must haves? Also can anyone say whether any of the features are a waste of money ?

Is the HK system powerful enough? Anyone not like it for any reason?

Thanks guys, hope to order later this wk !
Attached Images
File Type: pdf F15M50D.pdf (544.1 KB, 953 views)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 05:02 PM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

You've pretty much built the perfect order- perfect black/black combo for sportiness. However, for that powerful of a vehicle, I would add M-suspension ($900) or DHP ($4500) because they are worth it for better suspension. The stock suspension is too loose. Trust me.
      11-11-2014, 05:06 PM   #3
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
You've pretty much built the perfect order- perfect black/black combo for sportiness. However, for that powerful of a vehicle, I would add M-suspension ($900) or DHP ($4500) because they are worth it for better suspension. The stock suspension is too loose. Trust me.
The M Sports Suspension is standard on the M Sport models?

Thanks for your help pal
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 05:07 PM   #4
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRX View Post
The M Sports Suspension is standard on the M Sport models?

Thanks for your help pal
It might be for your M50D because it's such a nice spec vehicle, but I would just double check because in the states we can build our M-sport vehicles without the M-suspension add on. In your spec sheet I didn't see any sign of it, so that's why I brought it up.

My pleasure . Any questions you have, just ask, buddy. We're all happy to help!
      11-11-2014, 05:10 PM   #5
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It might be for your M50D because it's such a nice spec vehicle, but I would just double check because in the states we can build our M-sport vehicles without the M-suspension add on. In your spec sheet I didn't see any sign of it, so that's why I brought it up.

My pleasure . Any questions you have, just ask, buddy. We're all happy to help!

Just checked on the UK website, adaptive M Suspension is standard!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 05:11 PM   #6
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Just checked on the UK website, adaptive M Suspension is standard!
See, this is why you guys are so lucky! You also have the best Anti-Glare LEDs, while US members are out of luck for the time being.
      11-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #7
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
See, this is why you guys are so lucky! You also have the best Anti-Glare LEDs, while US members are out of luck for the time being.
Anti-glare LEDs? Are you referring to the headlights?

I always thought the Brits get hard done by !

Did you go for Harmon Kardon audio? worth it?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 05:17 PM   #8
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

So, if you watch the videos for all the UK people - CatFlap makes the best one- he posted it live. If you go to my coding thread, it's there under Coding List. It creates a black box where the high beams do not enter and this prevents blinding the person in front of you while having your high beams on. The automatic system works beautifully by surrounding the road with light while not blinding those in front and those in oncoming traffic.

I have the stock and hate it, however, I have rectified it by using my phone's DAC input wire with my auxiliary cable and now listen to all my music from my Note 4 - the clarity is superb, but nothing like HK. I have heard the HK, and it is amazingly clear and well worth the money. We also have the HK system in both of our 2014 MLs - it's a very good compromise for those who don't want the B&O.

I bought my car on the lot, so I missed out on DHP, HK, surround view, and LEDs. That's ok though because I will be upgrading my suspension with Accuair, have coded my Bi-xenons with VLD (amazing), have the DAC input for my sound, and coded by tow hitch camera zoom so I have almost everything . I learned everything about features, coding, etc after joining the forums. I wish I was a member before I bought my vehicle, but I still love what I have and am very thankful to have it .
      11-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #9
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha
Quote:

So, if you watch the videos for all the UK people - CatFlap makes the best one- he posted it live. If you go to my coding thread, it's there under Coding List. It creates a black box where the high beams do not enter and this prevents blinding the person in front of you while having your high beams on. The automatic system works beautifully by surrounding the road with light while not blinding those in front and those in oncoming traffic.

I have the stock and hate it, however, I have rectified it by using my phone's DAC input wire with my auxiliary cable and now listen to all my music from my Note 4 - the clarity is superb, but nothing like HK. I have heard the HK and it is amazingly clear and well worth the money. We also have the HK system in both of our 2014 MLs - it's a very good compromise for those who don't want the B&O.
HK is great value for money here but the BO is not off £3500. Can't really justify that unless BMW give me a discount :-)

There is a £2000 discount on all M50d's in the UK until end dec14

And yes the adaptive LED with anti glare seem well cool:-) wasn't that long ago I thought my F10 adaptive xenons were a legend .... And then of course we have the G11 and i8 with laser headlights. Love BMW !
      11-11-2014, 05:23 PM   #10
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
HK is great value for money here but the BO is not off £3500. Can't really justify that unless BMW give me a discount :-)

And yes the adaptive LED with anti glare seem well cool:-) wasn't that long ago I thought my F10 adaptive xenons were a legend .... And then of course we have the G11 and i8 with laser headlights. Love BMW !
Well, you will love your X5. I promise you that. Congrats on your order, buddy .
      11-11-2014, 05:34 PM   #11
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha
Quote:

Well, you will love your X5. I promise you that. Congrats on your order, buddy .
Will keep everyone posted

Agreeing order and numbers later this wk. Then the also the battle to get by car valued/sold

Aim for F15 delivery 1wk of March2015 so I can have the new UK 15 plate
      11-11-2014, 11:35 PM   #12
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

Nice one, I'm hoping my F16 M50d is being built this month for mid-Jan delivery.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 12:55 AM   #13
McDonaldD
Rep
Drives: 2005 X5

I am exceptionally disappointed with the HK system. Im no bass head but ALL of the bass comes from the mids unless you adjust the eq and crank the volume. Even then, the bass is muddy, muffled and mundane. I have spent hours tweaking and analyzing but I am still unhappy with this system. I find it odd that the HK has this much power and so little clarity. The HK is very mid heavy and not in a good way. I was not expecting to be disappointed by the HK system but I deeply regret not getting the B&O system. I should not have to crank the volume to 75% to get mediocre sound from this system. The B&O was clear at all volumes.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 01:22 AM   #14
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonaldD
I am exceptionally disappointed with the HK system. Im no bass head but ALL of the bass comes from the mids unless you adjust the eq and crank the volume. Even then, the bass is muddy, muffled and mundane. I have spent hours tweaking and analyzing but I am still unhappy with this system. I find it odd that the HK has this much power and so little clarity. The HK is very mid heavy and not in a good way. I was not expecting to be disappointed by the HK system but I deeply regret not getting the B&O system. I should not have to crank the volume to 75% to get mediocre sound from this system. The B&O was clear at all volumes.
Spoken to the dealer ? What did they say ? So if re ordering you would spend over £3k for BO?
      11-12-2014, 02:13 AM   #15
tnikolov
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40d,Porsche 911 Turbo S

Being an F10 owner myself that is waiting for his F15 delivery, can I ask you why did you choose the M50d over the 50i? I struggled with this choice for weeks and ended up ordering the i version because of the more power, but would love to hear your comments on that.
Retired - 2011 F10 550i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 02:20 AM   #16
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnikolov
Being an F10 owner myself that is waiting for his F15 delivery, can I ask you why did you choose the M50d over the 50i? I struggled with this choice for weeks and ended up ordering the i version because of the more power, but would love to hear your comments on that.
Hi mate .... I'm glad I wasn't the only one going nuts over the M50d vs 50i versions

For me in the UK fuel economy was still factor. I had the M50d and it returned 28mpg with fairly active driving I had the M50d out on trial last month and basically got addicted to its growl and sledgehammer power!

Fuel economy, less tax, and also the M50d has been through the M division with its M Servotronic steering which is very precise.

The 50i engine undoubtedly sounds and performs better but the economy factors swayed me

What spec have you gone for ?
      11-12-2014, 03:06 AM   #17
McDonaldD
Rep

Quote:
Spoken to the dealer ? What did they say ? So if re ordering you would spend over £3k for BO?
The system is working as intended. I can get decent sound from lossless audio via usb but only at high volume. Bluetooth sounds mediocre at all volumes. I did not spend nearly as much time with the HK before ordering it but assumed it would be good enough. I spent a lot of time testing the F15's B&O system and had convinced myself it wasn't worth it...I was wrong. You're already spending £895 on the HK so B&O only adds ~£2,600.

I happily passed on the B&O system in the 640 gran coupe - the B&O system did not seem well implemented and I am content with the HK. I was expecting a similar experience with the f15 but was blown away by its clarity. The system actually gave me goosebumps while listening to a few of my test tracks. I struggled with the price and ultimately convinced myself it wasn't worth it. Now I wish I had it. The f15's B&O system seems to be superior to BMW's other implementations. Given what I know now: Yes, I absolutely would have ordered mine with B&O. As it is, I'll likely be ordering the parts and retrofitting it or I'll wait and see what bavsound's stage one upgrade has to offer.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 03:13 AM   #18
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonaldD
Quote:
The system is working as intended. I can get decent sound from lossless audio via usb but only at high volume. Bluetooth sounds mediocre at all volumes. I did not spend nearly as much time with the HK before ordering it but assumed it would be good enough. I spent a lot of time testing the F15's B&O system and had convinced myself it wasn't worth it...I was wrong. You're already spending 895 on the HK so B&O only adds ~2,600.

I happily passed on the B&O system in the 640 gran coupe - the B&O system did not seem well implemented and I am content with the HK. I was expecting a similar experience with the f15 but was blown away by its clarity. The system actually gave me goosebumps while listening to a few of my test tracks. I struggled with the price and ultimately convinced myself it wasn't worth it. Now I wish I had it. The f15's B&O system seems to be superior to BMW's other implementations. Given what I know now: Yes, I absolutely would have ordered mine with B&O. As it is, I'll likely be ordering the parts and retrofitting it or I'll wait and see what bavsound's stage one upgrade has to offer.
Very frank help mate really appreciate it!

I think the X5 had huge space advantages to get the most out of surround sound systems. I went to the dealer for HK help once and he tried convincing me that the equalizer was just another bass booster.... Doesn't help at all.

On the bigger engine models BMW should certainly reduce the cost of big ticket items like night vision and BO
      11-12-2014, 03:32 AM   #19
McDonaldD
Rep

Quote:
On the bigger engine models BMW should certainly reduce the cost of big ticket items like night vision and BO
The U.S. 50i gets HK in the exec package and then B&O is reduced to $3,600 or something. I'm kind of surprised the m50d does not get a similar treatment. Oh well. I opted for the m sport 35d with the dynamic handling package and, HK aside, could not be happier. The new F15 exceeded my expectations. You'll really enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 03:42 AM   #20
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonaldD View Post
The U.S. 50i gets HK in the exec package and then B&O is reduced to $3,600 or something. I'm kind of surprised the m50d does not get a similar treatment. Oh well. I opted for the m sport 35d with the dynamic handling package and, HK aside, could not be happier. The new F15 exceeded my expectations. You'll really enjoy it.
Bluetooth is crap on a lot of sound systems due to interference. What kind of phone do you have? I mostly use my phone to listen to music and I got stuck with the HiFi sound system (really terrible clarity). I use this DAC input plug and it has done wonders for my sound. DAC systems are HUGE recommendations by major audiophiles...they weren't kidding. If you can't live with your current sound, try it and you'll be amazed on what it can do: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I'm sure they make them for iPhones as well. Just a simple fix until BAVSOUND comes out with something .
      11-12-2014, 07:07 AM   #21
tnikolov
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40d,Porsche 911 Turbo S

Quote:
Hi mate .... I'm glad I wasn't the only one going nuts over the M50d vs 50i versions

For me in the UK fuel economy was still factor. I had the M50d and it returned 28mpg with fairly active driving I had the M50d out on trial last month and basically got addicted to its growl and sledgehammer power!

Fuel economy, less tax, and also the M50d has been through the M division with its M Servotronic steering which is very precise.

The 50i engine undoubtedly sounds and performs better but the economy factors swayed me

What spec have you gone for ?
It is true that the m50d is the much more economical version fuel wise.. But considering the fact that it comes with a much heftier price tag (10,000 Eur difference for base) I didn't feeel I would save enough on fuel and taxes to be able to make it up for the pricetag. And I have even considered the fact that even spending less fuel per 100km, a litre of good diesel fuel is 10-15% more expensive here than a litre of gasoline fuel.

Now about the M badge - I do debadge all my cars. So there is not much worth for me in this one either. It is true it comes with stiffer M suspenssion, but then on Bulgarian roads DHP is much more pleasant to drive and I probably won't spend much time on a racetrack.. at least not on my X5 that is. That's why I went with the 50i and I even skipped the M Sport Pack, as it was incompatible with 7 Seats, DHP and Active steering. The latter I consider a big extra, as with it the X5 gets a mechanical steering rather than electrical (dead) one.

Here's my list of things - sorry about it beeing so long, but this is how we get the options here in Bulgaria...

Mineral White metalic
Exclusive leather 'Nappa' with extended contents Mocha

5A3 BMW Night Vision with dynamic light spot
6UK BMW Night Vision with object recognition
4DD Fine-wood trim 'Fineline Pure' textured
7SZ Adaptive suspension package Professional
2VM Adaptive suspension package 'Comfort'
2VP Adaptive suspension package 'Dynamic'
217 Active Steering
248 Steering-wheel heating
2LS 20" Light alloy wheels Y-spoke 451 with mixed tyres
2TB Sport automatic transmission
322 Comfort access system
323 Soft Close Automatic system for doors
3MC BMW Individual roof rails high-gloss Shadow Line
760 BMW Individual high-gloss Shadow Line
775 BMW Individual headliner anthracite
402 Panorama glass roof
453 Active seat ventilation, front
456 Comfort seats front, electrically adjustable
488 Lumbar support for driver and front passenger
494 Seat heating for driver and front passenger
496 Seat heating for rear seats
4NB Automatic air conditioning with 4-zone control
4U1 Ceramic surround for controls
4UB 3rd row seats
552 Adaptive LED headlights
563 Lights package
5AC High-beam assistant
5AG Lane Change Warning
5AS Driving Assistant
5DF Active cruise control with Stop&Go function
5DL Surround View
609 Navigation system Professional
610 Head-Up Display
614 BMW Internet access
688 Harman Kardon Surround Sound System
6WB Multifunctional instrument display
710 M Leather steering wheel

I'd love to see yours though once its done. No matter I chose the 50i, I still think the 50d is the best diesel engine ever made.
Retired - 2011 F10 550i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 07:42 AM   #22
6605paull
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

Quote:
Hey guys,

Firstly thanks for the help on the 4-zone thread!

The time has come to trade in the F10 530dM for a new F15 M50d

Here is the proposed spec... See PDF

Any suggestions on must haves? Also can anyone say whether any of the features are a waste of money ?

Is the HK system powerful enough? Anyone not like it for any reason?

Thanks guys, hope to order later this wk !
Hi just to pick up on a point you asked on my "finally arrived thread", YES I in the scale of things I would defo go for the speed limit display which you can display on the control panel or the HUD, its a reminder how fast you are going in your face so to speak, easy given how quiet and smooth the F15 is to unintentionally go over the speed limit, not 100% accurate but switches very quickly between speed limits as you enter/leave different roads. Not sure where you live but where I am they are always changing so not to sure how the GPS/database of the actual speed limit works but I would recommend it.

Only other comment that I did not get right (I think) was the multi functional display @ £255, not 100% what is multi functional when compared to the standard build but it is not the one I thought I was getting. Not sure of the BMW code, others no doubt will comment but I though my display would change depending on the drive mode selected, i.e Sport, Comfort mode etc. If you google BMW F15 Multi function display you will see what I am badly explaining. Or maybe I am doing something wrong.

Last comment would not bother with the rear comfort seats by of course just my opinion

Good luck, the wait will hurt...
Appreciate 0