BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5M (F85) and X6M (F86) Forum

12-26-2015, 08:58 AM   #89
enzom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 X5M/20 720S/20 992 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
Big Porsche fan, and I'd much rather have the X5 M over the Cayenne Turbo. The Cayenne just does nothing for me in the looks department.
I understand. I think the X5M is a much better looking vehicle myself. The 16 CTTS looks better than the 14, but still not as good looking as the X5M
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 10:22 AM   #90
EfEightyM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzom
Quote:
Big Porsche fan, and I'd much rather have the X5 M over the Cayenne Turbo. The Cayenne just does nothing for me in the looks department.
I understand. I think the X5M is a much better looking vehicle myself. The 16 CTTS looks better than the 14, but still not as good looking as the X5M
Few the opposite. X5/6m just looks too busy (and frankly cheap). Kind of an eye sore to see them (looks like Edward scissor hands designed it) and their quality fit and finish do not match the cayenne. They also sound awful and are devoid of steering feel whereas the cayenne is fantastic!! Looks are subjective but as much as I think the cayenne is still one of the best looking, it's ready for a new generation.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 07:38 AM   #91
xueju1121
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW iX M60

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EfEightyM3 View Post
Few the opposite. X5/6m just looks too busy (and frankly cheap). Kind of an eye sore to see them (looks like Edward scissor hands designed it) and their quality fit and finish do not match the cayenne. They also sound awful and are devoid of steering feel whereas the cayenne is fantastic!! Looks are subjective but as much as I think the cayenne is still one of the best looking, it's ready for a new generation.
OMG you are so busy here.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 07:53 AM   #92
ernests
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i and G80 M3 AWD

Please explain why you say the X5M looks cheap. I have had a Cayenne, 2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged and have the latest X5M and fail to see this point of view. The fit and finish on the X5M is in my opinion just as good if not better than the Cayenne or Rangie. I had the full leather interior on all these vehicles. Each vehicle is at the top of that manufacturers offerings for SUV and quite frankly are all very good. Should we not all just acknowledge the fact that they great vehicles and we lucky to own them?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 08:52 AM   #93
MacOSR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 X5M, 18 M550, 21 M5C, 23 M8

The best part about this thread is that there are OPTIONS for anyone looking for a high performance SUV. Never before have there been so many high performance options for performance enthusiasts.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 09:41 AM   #94
NickRac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOSR View Post
The best part about this thread is that there are OPTIONS for anyone looking for a high performance SUV. Never before have there been so many high performance options for performance enthusiasts.
Correct!

But one option is still the best...
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 04:51 PM   #95
HappyMan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EfEightyM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzom
Quote:
I don't have X5M and my opinion is not biased. I think the one that looks cheap is Cayenne. It's taillights look like a Hyundai. It is a great car though but come on it's not better than bimmer, not this time. Sorry
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 08:37 PM   #96
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

This is probably a bit off-topic/not useful... but when I see a Cayenne, I can't help but see a Toureg. I know they're only marginally related and that it's an incredible vehicle, but the overly-round, bulbish styling is clearly familial and ruins the car for me.

Last edited by Roundown; 12-27-2015 at 08:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 09:20 PM   #97
DaveChapin
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M; 2014 911 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf View Post
This is probably a bit off-topic/not useful... but when I see a Cayenne, I can't help but see a Toureg. I know they're only marginally related and that it's an incredible vehicle, but the overly-round, bulbish styling is clearly familial and ruins the car for me.
I can't help it either; I see the Touareg.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 11:52 AM   #98
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russkey
Porsche is a waste of money
Feel embarrassed next to x6m!
Keep them coming guys. I'm having a laugh at all comments
I don't need to defend the best car in its class! Those that can afford the car, know what it is. Reminds me of people who say that only idiots buy 911 turbo when Nissan GT-R is as fast!
Good luck!
You sure are doing a lot of defending for somebody who feels that they don't need to defend. Just saying! You act like the individual who is considering a six figure X5M/X6M isn't also cross shopping the Cayenne too. You also assume that somebody who can afford an X5M/X6M can't afford a Cayenne. What kind of sense does that make?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 01:47 PM   #99
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by EfEightyM3 View Post
You should stop posting stupid arguments
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 02:11 PM   #100
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

It is absolutely amazing to me that the X6M beat the F80 M3 (yes F80 M3) around the track at Big Willow. That is impressive.

This link confirms it: http://www.motortrend.com/news/bmw-m...-s-comparison/
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 09:20 PM   #101
neliconcept
Fashion Photographer
Rep
Drives: 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russkey View Post
Anyone here actually owns a Cayenne Turbo 2012+? Let's hear your opinions and not people who hate cayenne simply because it's pricey and a little slower! Porsche owners rarely talk about BMW. It's not the case with BMW owners
I did work at a Porsche dealership and regularly had the Cayenne Turbo and Turbo S out. I didn't really think it was much better than an X5m myself. I have yet to drive the new X5m however.

Transmission in the Porsche I despise (PDK I love but the Turbo and Turbo S do not have PDK)
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 09:49 PM   #102
krisnetaji
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
You sure are doing a lot of defending for somebody who feels that they don't need to defend. Just saying! You act like the individual who is considering a six figure X5M/X6M isn't also cross shopping the Cayenne too. You also assume that somebody who can afford an X5M/X6M can't afford a Cayenne. What kind of sense does that make?

Well they are certainly in different price brackets thats for sure. X5M is 100-113K and a Cayenne Turbo S is $160-$200+. If money is no object the Cayenne Turbo S is a superior car in every way.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 10:15 PM   #103
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14M5 View Post
Well they are certainly in different price brackets thats for sure. X5M is 100-113K and a Cayenne Turbo S is $160-$200+. If money is no object the Cayenne Turbo S is a superior car in every way.
As someone who can easily afford either of these vehicles, the Cayenne lost out in many numbers of ways. I own a 2015 X5 M and couldn't be more pleased. It all comes down to personal taste. The cayenne is an overpriced feminine looking mom-wagon to me. Where our other house is, on the Mainline, west of philly, every second soccer mom has a cayenne turbo s, the other half drive decked out range rovers. I've never seen a soccer mom drive an X5/X6 M, though, only the men had those.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 03:19 AM   #104
xueju1121
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW iX M60

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
As someone who can easily afford either of these vehicles, the Cayenne lost out in many numbers of ways. I own a 2015 X5 M and couldn't be more pleased. It all comes down to personal taste. The cayenne is an overpriced feminine looking mom-wagon to me. Where our other house is, on the Mainline, west of philly, every second soccer mom has a cayenne turbo s, the other half drive decked out range rovers. I've never seen a soccer mom drive an X5/X6 M, though, only the men had those.
Agreed, I live in Greenville, Delaware and there are at least 4 Cayenne turbo s owned by soccer mom. Only I have the X5 M
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 10:27 AM   #105
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveChapin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf View Post
I can't help it either; I see the Touareg.
They are more than marginally related.

When VW wanted to build their first SUV, they didn't want to build the chassis themselves.

They approached Porsche AG and their talented engineers with chassis development expertise.

VW paid Porsche AG $450 million to develop a modular chassis to accommodate various and engines, suspensions and loads.

Porsche AG got a chassis they developed but didn't pay for to use with their Cayenne and yes, the Panamera.

So it's easy to "see" VW and view as down market but it all is in the perspective and automotive economics.

The current Cayenne is not good looking and has a very "Asian" visual aesthetic which is unappealing.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 11:45 PM   #106
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
Right, you guys are all funny. Soccer mom mobile and all. I drive a 2015.5 RRS Autobiography. I love BMWs and on my 5th 3 series too, so I don't know what that says of me. Maybe am confused?

I cross shopped all the SUVs including the Cayenne in 2014. You'd be surprised what it came down to... 2014 RRS Supercharged vs 911 Carrera 4S. In the end I didn't want to get rid of my lovely 335, so in my mind I couldn't justify the 911 which was priced exactly the same as the RRS I decide to take home. RRS is fast enough that you'll rarely use even 60% of its capability. Fast forward 10 months, I decided to dump my lemon of a RRS. But it had won my heart in more ways than once, so it was the only SUV I really wanted. I ordered an SVR. Blue with saddle brown and black interior.... dealer screwed up and car showed up with all black interior. I decided I didn't want it. They tried to persuade me to take it out for a spin, hoping I'd fall in love overlook the mistake. I love the sound (best sounding SUV) but I don't honestly want it that much. It was less compliant in comfort mode than the other RRS so I came back opted for the Autobiography instead.

So there are reasons to choose something. Soccer mom? I am a single guy, no family. I could have any of those SUVs, I still chose the RRS. I love BMW but the X5/6 M don't appeal to me as much, its just true. So there you have it. In my books RRS wins, then X5M/X6M, then GLE63, and Cayennes last. Its not about raw performance in an SUV because none of these are or will ever be a sports car. The RRS can be tuned with a smaller pulley and tune for $1900 to get to 630hp and sub 4 sec to 60 times. Just saying. If money were no object I still make same exact choices I made. I am also old enough I don't care what people think or will call me. So soccer mom mobile.