BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-14-2018, 05:19 PM   #1
ibz.s.b
2018 F15 X5 X40d #BSM #IvoryWhite
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 X40d #BSM #IvoryWhite

2 Problems with brand new X5 x40d - Please help!

Hi,

Picked up a brand new X40d about two weeks ago, I'm not new to the forum I've had numerous BMW's in the past:

2009 E92 320i - Black Sapphire Metallic/Coral Red leather
2013 F06 640d - Individual Tanzanite Blue/Individual Champagne Merino leather
2001 E38 750iL - Royal Red/Individual Champagne Merino leather with red piping
1998 E39 523i - Royal Red/Champagne leather
2012 E93 M3 - Carbon Black/Fox Red Novillo leather

So basically, I've got two problems with the X5 at the moment. I've done lots of searching but can't find my answer!

Firstly, I plug my iPhone 7 Plus in to the USB port under the centre arm rest for music (Apple Music) and charging. I prefer it to Bluetooth Audio so suggestions for Bluetooth is a no no I'm afraid! I've got the latest iDrive 6.0 (touchscreen & tiles etc). I use the official Apple lightening cable as well. Whenever I decide to change playlists it tries to load the new song from the second playlist but struggles loading the album artwork and therefore the song restarts every 10 seconds until I have to plug my phone out and back in then it sorts itself out but it's super annoying because I can't just change playlists without having to take my hands off the wheel! But if I change playlists from my phone by unlocking it and through the Music app then iDrive manages to load it perfectly (again hands off the wheel though).

I was also surprised to learn that the official BMW Lightening Y-Cable no longer works with the newest cars as I was going to give this a shot because I had a cable lying around from when I had my M3 as that had a similar issue of struggling to load album artwork and instead of restarting a song it would just keep cutting out but the Y cable sorted that issue out in that car.

So any suggestions would be really helpful!

Second issue, regarding the tailgate when I try to open it from the pressure pad on the exterior of the car near the licence plate or from the keyfob it opens like 4 inches and then stops as if it aborted and then it'll close again if you press the pressure pad or key fob again, but then finally the third time you press either pad or fob it'll open the tailgate fully to its highest setting...am I missing something here?!

Sorry for the essay but suggestions would be really appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 09:31 AM   #2
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
First issue - can you run Carplay without the bluetooth/wifi enabled? I thought it needed that.

Second issue - see http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1480096 I'm a little worried as mine is due mid June and I definitely don't want it working like this!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #3
ibz.s.b
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigmundUK View Post
First issue - can you run Carplay without the bluetooth/wifi enabled? I thought it needed that.

Second issue - see http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1480096 I'm a little worried as mine is due mid June and I definitely don't want it working like this!
Hi thanks for your reply.

IÂ’m not using CarPlay, although I have it in my car I use the iDrive system as I prefer having access to the whole car and itÂ’s settings rather than being stuck in CarPlay with AppleMaps that doesnÂ’t work with my HUD. So the issue is with the actual iDrive operating system. On a side note though, from my understanding you can use CarPlay via usb but again I havenÂ’t tried it out.

Secondly, I went to BMW Southend today as I was in the area after inspecting a property and showed them the tailgate they said itÂ’s definitely not supposed to stop only after a few inches and should always open fully via tailgate button, interior button or key fob button.

Im gonna book it in for warranty work soon once Bmw can get me a courtesy car. Currently waiting time is more than a month!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 05:20 PM   #4
JDPX5UK
Rep
Drives: X5 sDrive25

I use Bluetooth on an iPhone X and can use all functions for music without problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 05:35 PM   #5
ibz.s.b
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDPX5UK View Post
I use Bluetooth on an iPhone X and can use all functions for music without problem.
I'm not a fan of Audio over Bluetooth because the volume is controlled from your phone as well as iDrive, for example if the volume is on half on your phone and you try to put the volume loud on iDrive really it's only outputting half its capability and then when you switch to radio it's loud af! I know I can easily just increase the volume to full on my iPhone each time to coincide with iDrive's volume, but I don't want to lol.

Also, cable obviously charges the phone and I always need my phone on 100% as I'm a heavy user. And lastly I find audio quality to be superior over cable.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003741.00
      05-16-2018, 01:54 AM   #6
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrahimbeg View Post
Hi thanks for your reply.

IÂ’m not using CarPlay, although I have it in my car I use the iDrive system as I prefer having access to the whole car and itÂ’s settings rather than being stuck in CarPlay with AppleMaps that doesnÂ’t work with my HUD. So the issue is with the actual iDrive operating system. On a side note though, from my understanding you can use CarPlay via usb but again I havenÂ’t tried it out.

Secondly, I went to BMW Southend today as I was in the area after inspecting a property and showed them the tailgate they said itÂ’s definitely not supposed to stop only after a few inches and should always open fully via tailgate button, interior button or key fob button.

Im gonna book it in for warranty work soon once Bmw can get me a courtesy car. Currently waiting time is more than a month!
Your nav from Apple CarPlay can be sent to BMW Nav - you should see it on the maps in CarPlay (on the idrive screen).
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 01:55 AM   #7
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I'm not a fan of Audio over Bluetooth because the volume is controlled from your phone as well as iDrive, for example if the volume is on half on your phone and you try to put the volume loud on iDrive really it's only outputting half its capability and then when you switch to radio it's loud af! I know I can easily just increase the volume to full on my iPhone each time to coincide with iDrive's volume, but I don't want to lol.

Also, cable obviously charges the phone and I always need my phone on 100% as I'm a heavy user. And lastly I find audio quality to be superior over cable.
Bluetooth quality improved massively with Apple CarPlay... IMO of course
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003741.00
      05-16-2018, 01:58 AM   #8
JDPX5UK
Rep
Drives: X5 sDrive25

Quote:
Quote:

I just put a wireless charging pad in Centre armrest tray and still use Bluetooth. Accept that iPhone 7 doesn't use wireless.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 05:48 AM   #9
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

That dang tailgate issue has been around for a while and really varies. I’ve had a few F15s, some work perfectly, some partially, and one was hosed. On that X they tried software updates and other stuff. I’ve never figured out why that is so hard for BMW.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003741.00
      05-16-2018, 08:28 AM   #10
deutsch100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 M60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

I guess I am really lucky! Two F15s, over a year now. Perfect, flawless rear tailgate each time used!! Fingers crossed.
Wondering how the OP's Auto Climate Control will work if the UK gets a massive heat spell?! :-O As we inch closer and closer to EXTREME heat June-Oct, I am fretting another summer in the F15 oven!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnx5er View Post
That dang tailgate issue has been around for a while and really varies. I’ve had a few F15s, some work perfectly, some partially, and one was hosed. On that X they tried software updates and other stuff. I’ve never figured out why that is so hard for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 01:38 PM   #11
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2 Problems with brand new X5 x40d - Please help!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I just put a wireless charging pad in Centre armrest tray and still use Bluetooth. Accept that iPhone 7 doesn't use wireless.
I have an iPhone 6s Plus but use wireless charging now. I've just slipped in a little qi receiver between the phone and case.

I also found CarPlay audio is acceptable audio quality and the days for wires has gone really. I think unless you're a real audiophile wireless music is fine nowadays. Otherwise just go back to CDs or something...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 04:38 PM   #12
ibz.s.b
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
Your nav from Apple CarPlay can be sent to BMW Nav - you should see it on the maps in CarPlay (on the idrive screen).
Will it work with the heads up display as well?? Might have to give it a try over the weekend then. I used car play once in a Chevrolet Tahoe ZR1 I hired whilst in Dubai last year (THAT THING IS A BEAST) and didn't like CarPlay so I haven't given it a chance since...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 04:44 PM   #13
ibz.s.b
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutsch100 View Post
I guess I am really lucky! Two F15s, over a year now. Perfect, flawless rear tailgate each time used!! Fingers crossed.
Wondering how the OP's Auto Climate Control will work if the UK gets a massive heat spell?! :-O As we inch closer and closer to EXTREME heat June-Oct, I am fretting another summer in the F15 oven!!!
I've booked the car into BMW so they can have a look at the tailgate but the earliest is 18th June for a loaner car!

What's up with the Auto Climate Control? Seems to be working fine for the moment set to 21 degrees (c) on Auto with A/C on at the lowest fan setting seems to be nicely regulating the temp in the car (not too cold or hot). Do the F15's get really hot?? Every other BMW I've had has been fairly similar in terms of heat in the summer after being left for a long period of time like returning to the car at the end of the day...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 04:45 PM   #14
ibz.s.b
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I have an iPhone 6s Plus but use wireless charging now. I've just slipped in a little qi receiver between the phone and case.

I also found CarPlay audio is acceptable audio quality and the days for wires has gone really. I think unless you're a real audiophile wireless music is fine nowadays. Otherwise just go back to CDs or something...
yeah hopefully gonna wash the car on the weekend and wax it then i'll play around with CarPlay/iDrive and see what works best for me
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 02:18 AM   #15
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

yeah hopefully gonna wash the car on the weekend and wax it then i'll play around with CarPlay/iDrive and see what works best for me
I think you mentioned st he start losing some idrive functionality - you don't. My nav and all other idrive stuff stays active. Just have CarPlay.

My issue with CarPlay is that it is buggy for some apps like amazon music and bbc iPlayer radio. My wife has been driving more and she too finds some issues with it. Sometimes it works great and it's fantastic when it does. But other times it does weird stuff. It feels like a bmw Apple play issue but who knows. Will get it booked in one day...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 03:22 AM   #16
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Will it work with the heads up display as well?? Might have to give it a try over the weekend then. I used car play once in a Chevrolet Tahoe ZR1 I hired whilst in Dubai last year (THAT THING IS A BEAST) and didn't like CarPlay so I haven't given it a chance since...
Yes if you sent it to BMW nav it works as BMW nav normally works. It wont have apple carplay graphics, it will just look like normal bmw nav
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 03:24 AM   #17
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There is on OEM adapter cover from BMW for wireless charging, its quite good (have it for my iphone 6 plus). Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 03:25 AM   #18
ibz.s.b
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes if you sent it to BMW nav it works as BMW nav normally works. It wont have apple carplay graphics, it will just look like normal bmw nav
Thanks! I'll check it out on the weekend. Sounds like CarPlay has advanced since the first time I used it in that Chevy in Dubai.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 09:21 AM   #19
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks! I'll check it out on the weekend. Sounds like CarPlay has advanced since the first time I used it in that Chevy in Dubai.
I think when it works it works great. Lately it works more often than a year ago
Appreciate 1
ZigmundUK436.00
      05-20-2018, 08:46 AM   #20
ibz.s.b
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think when it works it works great. Lately it works more often than a year ago
So I just tried CarPlay in the car and I don't know if I'm missing something or I'm fussy but I really don't like it. I find it laggy and it doesn't show your entire playlist when you press the scroll wheel on the steering wheel. I also find the interface less user friendly. I really want to embrace but I just can't lol :
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #21
ibz.s.b
United Kingdom
Rep

So the car finally went into BMW today regarding the tailgate issue and turns out to be faulty struts, BMW said they take about a week or two to come in so I have to come back and book my car again
Appreciate 0