BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-24-2023, 11:45 PM   #23
yupetc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 X535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerofsorts View Post
I'm going to have to ask a question. Were these the front struts that failed?

From looking at the design of the spring perch, these look like Billstein's b6 rear design. B6 struts for the front have a spring perch that is able to support much more weight as it actually sits atop the strut itself.

Everyone's first conclusion is to jump to the most complex answer... but I must ask... (not even sure it would be possible but)

Did they install the rears in the front?
Rear shocks got no perch, those cannot be mixed with the front. Your question is moot. Try another.
Appreciate 1
_ObiJon200.00
      11-26-2023, 10:43 PM   #24
cjbryant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Quote:

From looking at the design of the spring perch, these look like Billstein's b6 rear design. B6 struts for the front have a spring perch that is able to support much more weight as it actually sits atop the strut itself.

Everyone's first conclusion is to jump to the most complex answer... but I must ask... (not even sure it would be possible but)

For what it’s worth. I was able to source 2 new B6’s not from FCP Euro and had them installed by the exact same shop/exact same installer. They’ve been on the car for a year now with no issues. I still feel that there was a manufacturing defect with the first set I received.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 06:32 AM   #25
beattiecj
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 2017 x5 35i 1988 e30

Quote:

I don’t think this is possible the rears have totally different mounting options, I.e. the bottom of the strut has a round hole for a bolt to attach to the car vs the fronts that slide into a sleeve. Also the front collars are not easily removed and there is no way you could attach the front shocks to the rear.
Have been running these bilsteins, towing over 3k miles with at least a total of 8k miles and have been solid.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 12:32 PM   #26
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbryant View Post
For what it’s worth. I was able to source 2 new B6’s not from FCP Euro and had them installed by the exact same shop/exact same installer. They’ve been on the car for a year now with no issues. I still feel that there was a manufacturing defect with the first set I received.
Yep, something was definitely wrong with those perches. Even if you don’t clock the spring correctly in the rubber mounts that shouldn’t happen, it’d just make the ride height uneven
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 05:50 AM   #27
lonestar22
Ground Clearance?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i & X5

You've talked me out of B6's successfully
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 07:01 AM   #28
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar22 View Post
You've talked me out of B6's successfully
I’ve had them on my X5 since mid-summer and love them. Though if you’re looking for more comfort vs handling I’d go with the B4’s
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 09:53 AM   #29
WhiskeyTangoFox
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E70, F15 Mazda Rx7 R1

I think I know what happened here as it almost happen to me. The struts come with the lower perch in a parked position other than the installed position. It’s about 1” higher and usually at about a 10 degree angle. It looks and feels like the perch is made that way for final fitment, but trust me it’s not. You need to wack the perch with a rubber mallet and it will break free and drop, it will also spin freely when in its final resting place. It’s very deceiving and will take full coil spring pressure with it in the wrong position. I can picture his exact failure happening once it broke free. That potential to kinetic energy would be enough to break the lower perch. I imagine this is what happened to the OP. Hope this saves somebody else.
Appreciate 1
Clifton221.50
      02-01-2024, 02:30 PM   #30
yupetc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 X535i

I've recently moved onto a set of KONI Active Sport (FSD) shocks. Way better than the B6's in terms of comfort, and handling is still pretty taught when paired with the Eiback Pro springs. I now have a set of H&R springs and B6 shocks left, wouldn't push anyone to buy these because of how harsh and jarring the ride is; however, tracking it makes these a dream set to have; just sucks at everyday grocery getting.
Appreciate 1
Clifton221.50