BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-01-2021, 07:38 AM   #45
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Just remember, the first day you use it you might feel overwhelmed..but just similar to any scan tool play around with it without actually performing any actions on the vehicle and you'll get familiar in no time.

Play with the search text function and keywords.. you'll be good 👍🏽
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 08:48 AM   #46
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Bumpin' an old thread. My F15 50i will throw codes sometimes causing CELs for random reasons that aren't permanent and do not require any sort of fix. It's a hassle to go to my local bmw shop just to have these cleared out so I'd like an inexpensive and easy-to-use tool to read and clear codes and maybe some other basics like adaptations resets.

Is the Foxwell Nt530 the best choice for this? How about the LAUNCH X431? How about Autophix7910?

They all seem to do the same things.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 01:31 PM   #47
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

I bought the NT530 this past spring from Bimmerworld and it came with BMW software loaded. Has been very useful for me
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2024, 08:11 PM   #48
RidgeRunnerMotorwerke
Registered
Rep
Drives: F15 x5 N55 M Performance

ISTA

I have used ISTA straight from BMW. You can go to BMW Group's Technical Information System and pay for a 24hr, month, or annual subscription. If you are going to work on BMW's frequently, I highly recommend using this straight from the dealer rather than some potentially pirated copy. It is extremely straight forward. You ensure your computer has certain requirements installed such as Java Runtime Environment, C++, and the programming data package. All of which are as easy as click and install. Then you click start from the webpage which downloads a launcher for ISTA. This will allow you to even write service history and other things to your BMW. Foxwell and Autel both are nice to get you started, but if you want an all in one tool that will not only diagnose the problem but also tell you step by step how to fix it, then ISTA is the only way. Simply go to https://bmwtechinfo.bmwgroup.com/#/login and create your profile. It costs very little in comparison to any other option in most cases. 24hrs is $32 and to be frank, I don't have enough issues with my BMW to need more than 24hrs to fix anything on it. If you do ... then maybe consider fixing it up enough to sell it and get a new one. If you like buying them to fix up and resell then get the annual subscription and register your shop. Personally I've seen the Autel MaxiSys 908 Pro II in use, and it is a very good tool but is very very slow. Foxwell is also extremely slow. A laptop with an i7 or i9 processor 32gb ddr5 ram and gigabit ethernet is not slow at all. Either way, make sure you have an adequate power source for while you work on the car which I rarely see mentioned at all in these posts. Cheers!
Appreciate 0