04-23-2023, 01:12 PM   #24
jfandl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 5.0 (F15) - BM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Just an FYI...on how the parking brake functions. When the engine is running and the parking brake is applied...the front and rear "hydraulic" brakes are applied (though DSC)...then when the engine is shut down, the electro-mechanical parking brake (rear axle) is applied.

So if the car appears to be moving...perhaps you should have your parking brakes adjusted or checked out...but it appears that there could be a physical feeling of movement (if the car is on an incline) as the regular front/rear hydraulic brakes are released.

BTW, the 2nd post in this thread (from back in 2016) appears to have mentioned this. See the highlighted text in the excerpt below from the BMW TIS:
I've got a 2014 x5 5.0 F15 but seem to be having a failure with the hydraulic brake or ABS unit.

I start the engine, put it in neutral, let foot off brake, car begins to coast, pull parking brake lever, car continues to coast for less than 2 seconds before stopping. Here's the problem: When the parking brake engages, it's not hydraulic, I can here the rear brake actuator pulling the bowden cables in to secure the vehicle. Similarly, others have reported the Jerk motion because they applied parking brake before shutting off and bouncing to park pin. Mine does NOT do this either. Mine is clearly engaged via Bowden cables so I get no movement of the running vehicle when I shut off the car after applying the parking brake. (I understand from others here that this is not normal) .

I have no fault codes stored for the brakes, however when I reset VTG or reset DSC, I get a parking brake reduced message, then ABS brake message but no codes are stored. It then lights up the traction control fault.

Anyone experience something like this? I'm thinking the DSC might have some kind of failure but without any codes, I'm not sure how to troubleshoot any further. (speed sensors have all been replaced)

I can activate the ABS pump through ISTA and it definitely runs.

Last edited by jfandl; 04-23-2023 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0