BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-24-2018, 06:47 AM   #1
domi1976
Registered
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40E

F15 X5 40e transmission issue

Just a quick introduction...I've been driving BMW's for several years, going from from 320d and 318d touring, 318d, 418d gc and now finally the X5 40e.
In the beginning all was good, now after 16 miles the gearbox is acting up.
Even full electric when I put the gearbox in drive, it waits a second before it moves. On petrol I push the accelerator, revs go up to 2000 rpm, but the car does not move. After 1 second, it moves forward. It also happens in reverse.
Very annoying behavior.
Went to the BMW dealership, and they did an update and did a reset of the gearbox. After that reset, it felt a little bit better, but after a while (few weeks) this behavior returned.
BMW claims it's due to the adaptive gearbox software. They won't fix the problem because if they can't see an error on their diagnostic software, they are not allowed to address the issue.
Shifting gears (automatic) is not smooth, and vibrates around 2000 rpm.
Has anyone had the same problems ? And how was it solved ?
I would think it's the mechatronic, because the X5 40e does not have a torque converter anymore (replaced by the electro motor).
Thanks guys for helping me out on this one :-)
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 08:06 AM   #2
theove
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 4.0E

Not such a problem at all with my 40e. It is absolutely not normal. And what a b******t about no fault, no repair. Find yourself a decent dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 08:50 AM   #3
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

From a fellow Belgian: find another dealership!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 08:35 PM   #4
jonboyglx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by domi1976 View Post
Just a quick introduction...I've been driving BMW's for several years, going from from 320d and 318d touring, 318d, 418d gc and now finally the X5 40e.
Even full electric when I put the gearbox in drive, it waits a second before it moves. On petrol I push the accelerator, revs go up to 2000 rpm, but the car does not move. After 1 second, it moves forward. It also happens in reverse.
Very annoying behavior.
Went to the BMW dealership, and they did an update and did a reset of the gearbox. After that reset, it felt a little bit better, but after a while (few weeks) this behavior returned.
BMW claims it's due to the adaptive gearbox software. They won't fix the problem because if they can't see an error on their diagnostic software, they are not allowed to address the issue.
Shifting gears (automatic) is not smooth, and vibrates around 2000 rpm.
Has anyone had the same problems ? And how was it solved ?
I would think it's the mechatronic, because the X5 40e does not have a torque converter anymore (replaced by the electro motor).
Thanks guys for helping me out on this one :-)
I have a 40e as well and on rare occasions I will have a hard shift. Doesn't matter if in EV or not. Happens so rare that it's not some thing I can bring to dealer about.

I think based on what you wrote, I see the same behavior with the transmission. I do not notice lag; when I step on the gas the car goes right away. However what I do notice is the car behaves like it's a manual transmission in that when I step on the gas, it acts like someone is riding the clutch. The engine will rev higher and then when the sensation that the clutch is not being pressed, the rpms will drop to normal. The experience is smooth generally but I just assume it's the behavior for this car with this power train. This only happens only when in first gear..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 04:24 PM   #5
MochiEater
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by domi1976 View Post
Very annoying behavior.
Is there a 1 second lag shift and throttle lag every single time? That sound like a fault.

After almost 40K miles I will say my X5 40e transmission is not exactly the quickest or most responsive. I have noticed that in Auto eDrive if I have to accelerate hard from a full stop and floor the accelerator, there is a lag and the car barely moves. If I know I need to accelerate hard off the line I avoid the lag by pre-shifting the gear stick to the left to Sport mode so the engine is idling (Auto Start/Stop disabled). Then the car accelerates off the line with no lag.
2018 330e - Driver Assistance Plus, Adaptive LED Lights (decoded VLD), Active Blind Spot Detection, ACC Stop & Go, Parking Assistant, Side/Top Cameras, HUD, Comfort Access, 225/45R18 255/40R18 Pirelli Cinturato P7 + Winter Sotozero Serie II
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 07:51 PM   #6
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MochiEater View Post
Is there a 1 second lag shift and throttle lag every single time? That sound like a fault.

After almost 40K miles I will say my X5 40e transmission is not exactly the quickest or most responsive. I have noticed that in Auto eDrive if I have to accelerate hard from a full stop and floor the accelerator, there is a lag and the car barely moves. If I know I need to accelerate hard off the line I avoid the lag by pre-shifting the gear stick to the left to Sport mode so the engine is idling (Auto Start/Stop disabled). Then the car accelerates off the line with no lag.
I have noticed the same and do the same. Sport mode gets you across the road quickly...

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 04:18 PM   #7
FREE100KSECRET
Rep
Drives: BMW e70 4.8

BMW 40E EPC Valve Short Fault B+

Curious, since this is an old thread I was hoping someone has an update on these issues of slipping sensation when starting. ICE goes up to 2K before it appears to fully engage. I just purchased vehicle not running, so after much research I found issue of no starting. It was a DME wire short in harness. I suspect the dealership hacks are the reason, but given they gave up I don't trust anything they did in trying to fix problems.

OK, when I got it the 12VDC battery was not holding charge and threw dozens of low voltage errors. So I was hoping this was going to be the only problem, but I still have a few faults after clearing them all. One is Gateway Module which I understand is critical for it bridges both the DME and EME, and I have fault codes for both. 21A117 which is DME issue. 222D04 which is EME issue. E1CC3 which is missing receiver HU-H transmitter DME/DDE faults.

So has anyone experienced similar issues, I can't seem to get into hybrid e-max mode as well, and hybrid battery charges up all the way and no faults, so I suspect it is EME, but need to do more research. I don't want to drop transmission pan to check EPC valve or replace it unless there is no other option. I have 111K miles so I will do transmission service at same time. This 40-E hybrid is new to me and not like any other Bimmer I have had.

Last edited by FREE100KSECRET; 04-12-2024 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 05:08 AM   #8
FREE100KSECRET
Rep
Drives: BMW e70 4.8

BMW 40E EPC Valve Short Fault B+

Curious, since this is an old thread I was hoping someone has an update on these issues of slipping sensation when starting. ICE goes up to 2K before it appears to fully engage. I just purchased vehicle not running, so after much research I found issue of no starting. It was a DME wire short in harness. I suspect the dealership hacks are the reason, but given they gave up I don't trust anything they did in trying to fix problems.

OK, when I got it the 12VDC battery was not holding charge and threw dozens of low voltage errors. So I was hoping this was going to be the only problem, but I still have a few faults after clearing them all. One is Gateway Module which I understand is critical for it bridges both the DME and EME, and I have fault codes for both. 21A117 which is DME issue. 222D04 which is EME issue. E1CC3 which is missing receiver HU-H transmitter DME/DDE faults.

So has anyone experienced similar issues, I can't seem to get into hybrid e-max mode as well, and hybrid battery charges up all the way and no faults, so I suspect it is EME, but need to do more research.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 04:30 PM   #9
c00lbeansdude
Rep
Drives: x5

I had issue after fluid change of car reving to 3 k before the K0 clutch would engage and move the car. This only happened when the car had sat overnight and went away after a minute of driving in the morning. I found that the transmission was overfilled with fluid. Took some out and now it only does it first time I try to accelerate. If I let the transmission run in reverse and drive, it sucks up enough fluid for the problem to go away, so I need to drain a tiny bit more.
Appreciate 0