01-02-2022, 12:40 AM   #45
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluzbet View Post
at 110K, never changed it would it be a bad idea?
I would say that changing oil that late in something that has clutch packs could cause issues. There is probably a bit of clutch material in the oil now that allows it to actuate, and engage.

If you remove this material, you may find that it starts to struggle with engagement of the front wheels to the amount it needs.

Not saying you shouldn't do it, but just full disclosure and be aware. Yes not doing the change, would probably be a worse choice.

Last edited by Chilled; 01-02-2022 at 01:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 01:42 AM   #46
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

I'd change it. And have on other xdrive bimmers with higher mileage. Just my .02 though.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 02:41 PM   #47
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
I would say that changing oil that late in something that has clutch packs could cause issues. There is probably a bit of clutch material in the oil now that allows it to actuate, and engage.

If you remove this material, you may find that it starts to struggle with engagement of the front wheels to the amount it needs.

Not saying you shouldn't do it, but just full disclosure and be aware. Yes not doing the change, would probably be a worse choice.
This is very good insight, and I appreciate you voicing this. I just did the drain and fill on my TC at 109K miles. All seems well (knock on would). Meeting up with my buddy that has ISTA sometime this week to recalibrate TC.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 03:43 PM   #48
l_bomb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5/2003 SVT Cobra

just had mine done at a euro shop down here in Charlotte. Very happy i did it at about 53k miles. But the price of that and the trans service make me wonder if i should just spend money on a nice scan tool that i can re-calibrate systems with. Would be nice to be able to drain and fill and call it a day(trans/T-case) though.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 04:24 PM   #49
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_bomb View Post
just had mine done at a euro shop down here in Charlotte. Very happy i did it at about 53k miles. But the price of that and the trans service make me wonder if i should just spend money on a nice scan tool that i can re-calibrate systems with. Would be nice to be able to drain and fill and call it a day(trans/T-case) though.
$170 foxwell and done. I just bought one. Works well.
Appreciate 2
      01-03-2022, 07:55 PM   #50
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_bomb View Post
ISTA is more or less free, all you need is the ENET cable. The discussion on ISTA vs Foxwell, TLDR, foxwell does not win. https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1869424

For the transmission fill/temp process. I would recommend using something like BimmerLink, as ISTA is a pain to get going to see the trans temp. And no, don't use a IR thermal on the sump to gauge the temp of the oil.

The only thing a little tricky with the TC is that its abit of a tight reach. You will need some more custom/specific tools to get in there.
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=161
Appreciate 3
      01-04-2022, 07:43 AM   #51
Tomcat_F15_STL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

The transfer case took way longer than it should have - especially, with the crossmember in the way of the fill plug.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 09:48 AM   #52
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

F90 M5

Hope someone has clear answers here.

I am going to do my Transfer Case oil change (and the two differentials) but need the correct scanner tool. I have an NT680pro but as it turns out that cannot do the function. I was told the NT530 can. But would rather know for sure from someone who has actually done this service. Told by FOXWELL that

NT680Pro supports OBDII, all models, basic functions of all systems, and supports 26 special functions.

NT530 supports OBDII, all systems of a single model, and all functions.

Can the FOXWELL NT530 do this?

Thank you,

Mike
Attached Images

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 04:19 PM   #53
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post

I am going to do my Transfer Case oil change (and the two differentials) but need the correct scanner tool. I have an NT680pro but as it turns out that cannot do the function. I was told the NT530 can. But would rather know for sure from someone who has actually done this service. Told by FOXWELL that

NT680Pro supports OBDII, all models, basic functions of all systems, and supports 26 special functions.

Thank you,

Mike
Yes, the NT530 can do it all. I have that and ISTA+, they do everything for my 2014 35d.

With ISTA, it's easier to find your way around the menu and do services. With the Foxwell, just have to know where things fall under or you'll spend longer time trying to do 1 thing. Love both.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 07:47 AM   #54
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBBVTMxX View Post
Yes, the NT530 can do it all. I have that and ISTA+, they do everything for my 2014 35d.

With ISTA, it's easier to find your way around the menu and do services. With the Foxwell, just have to know where things fall under or you'll spend longer time trying to do 1 thing. Love both.
Thank you very much. that is very helpful. I was going to get it and then return if it was not adequate. I missed the return window on the 680pro. It works fine, just did not do what I expected.

Mike

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 08:39 AM   #55
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you very much. that is very helpful. I was going to get it and then return if it was not adequate. I missed the return window on the 680pro. It works fine, just did not do what I expected.

Mike
I will say this, but I cannot remember where I read it.

I seen someone post not to buy it from Amazon, and to buy directly from Foxwell because it will not include the updates and I guess other stuff.

Just so everyone knows, I ordered mine from Amazon with the BMW software included (not just the sole NT530). I've had zero problems updating it or buying other manufacturers software. I have BMW and all Toyota stuff programmed on mine. And my membership for updates states they are valid until the year 9999 🤣

So, I can't recall who posted this but I have no problems with mine 🤙🏽
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 11:52 AM   #56
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

I got the NT680 from Amazon. The software is based on the serial number of the unit. Log on to the CORRECT foxwell site. There are TWO. One is for, for example, the NT680, the other for another grouping... I had no issues making an account and getting the software updated.

It will not work however on a MAC, you must use windows. Works fine with Windows running on a Mac. It's slow for the 680 because there is a lot of data for every car under the sun. LOL.

The issue with my prior scanner is the stopped support for it. It's a Schwaben sub brand of Foxwell. 14020SCH.

I am at this point fairly confident the NT530 will do what I need to do.

Now the next question? anyone calibrate the 360 camera? Mine is OFF. LOL.

Mike

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 06:39 PM   #57
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I just did all my fluid services today. I had them done by BMW at 97k. Now sitting at 112k, just wanted to see how things are going in there. Everything is still smooth. Now all my fluid services are synced. All sourced via FCPEuro 🤙🏽

Front Diff
Transfer Case
Rear Diff

Easy. Took me 5 hours because I took my time making sure I got every drop of fluid I could out the three.

The fluid extractor was money. Just stick the tubing in there and move it around, it'll get all the fluid. Don't worry about using brake lines or none of that crap.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      03-27-2022, 09:31 PM   #58
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Pretty shocking they were that dark after 15k miles, no?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 09:49 PM   #59
MH20jy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 X5 35i

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you,

Mike

Would you help show us the steps using ISTA to check tranny temp?
      03-27-2022, 09:52 PM   #60
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH20jy View Post
Sure, Credit goes to Mr.47 here.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/h...-temp.1078649/

""ABL-Oil level adjustment function" is the only way to see the transmission temperature. You have to go through the all the function steps unfortunately however it it beneficial to follow the steps."

Also re my post above on ISTA vs Bimmerlink/other app on telling the temp.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 09:53 PM   #61
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Pretty shocking they were that dark after 15k miles, no?
I dunno, this was the first time I've changed them. The other times I had the dealership do it. I looked in there with my camera and everything looked clean, almost like new 🤷🏽

The fluids were not gritty either, they were smooth. No rough riding, everything is smooth 🤷🏽
Appreciate 1
tlow982188.00
      03-27-2022, 09:58 PM   #62
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MH20jy View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you,

Mike

Google is your friend…

http://www.foxwellsupport.com/monito...foxwell-nt530/

I use my NT530 when replacing transmission fluid on my X5 and my IS-F. There are some thing I just don't use ISTA because it's easier to hold the Foxwell while vehicle is lifted and dealing with transmission, than dealing with a computer.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 10:18 PM   #63
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Google is your friend…

I use my NT530 when replacing transmission fluid on my X5 and my IS-F. There are some thing I just don't use ISTA because it's easier to hold the Foxwell while vehicle is lifted and dealing with transmission, than dealing with a computer.
I use bimmerlink on my phone cuz its easier to use and a hell of allot quicker than trying to get ista connected/fully scanned and then going through the procedure to get to the temp screen.

Last edited by Chilled; 03-27-2022 at 10:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 10:26 PM   #64
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Google is your friend…

I use bimmerlink on my phone cuz its easiery to use and a hell of allot quicker than trying to get ista connected/cuflly scanned and then going through the procedure to get to the temp screen.
Yeah,

Anything Transmission, Emissions/EGR/DPF, and Live Data I use my Foxwell.

For everything else, I like to use ISTA+
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 07:54 PM   #65
Variante Alta
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d M Sport Metallic Whit

Really appreciate the guide. Did this and the fuel filter yesterday. Would be a cinch with a good lift but ramps and whatnot work too - just rather uncomfortable working under there for hours (I took my time). I used a 14mm hex drive with a 14mm ratcheting wrench - I used a bit of tape to keep the hex in place and it worked pretty well. Got about 500mm of old fluid out with the pneumatic suction thing. Also did the adaptation with ISTA+ - I could hear the stuff moving around in the TC while this process completed - 0.2 change. I haven't notice any difference so far with the new fluid and that's probably good (changing the fluid before it's a problem, seems like the best wisdom) but it's good to have it changed out. Transmission is next, just waiting for the parts. Then perhaps the front and rear diffs. Gotta keep this awesome car happy so it keeps me happy!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 12:43 PM   #66
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Quote:
Sure, Credit goes to Mr.47 here.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/h...-temp.1078649/

""ABL-Oil level adjustment function" is the only way to see the transmission temperature. You have to go through the all the function steps unfortunately however it it beneficial to follow the steps."

Also re my post above on ISTA vs Bimmerlink/other app on telling the temp.
Thanks, this has been my only hesitation in doing the tranny fluid change.
Appreciate 0