02-10-2023, 09:45 AM   #23
Hop74
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfandl View Post
Don't underestimate the likely leak of the Air pump o-ring. On the 4.4L engine, it's located in passenger rear of engine and tends to leak down and burn off the downpipes causing smoke, especially off the right side of the car when slowing to a stop. Replacing my o-ring solved the issue as it's a common o-ring to wear out. All 3 of my past BMW's leaked at this o-ring. It's a pretty easy job and can all be done from the top of the engine. I think it took about an hour or less.
Thanks for the heads up. I have the 3.0L N55 tho. Do they have the same common O Ring issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 12:15 PM   #24
imkazaam
Rep
Drives: 2015 i3, 2014 x5 3.0i

I've got the same question...did you ever figure this out?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 09:34 AM   #25
Hop74
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 F15

Just to update this thread, I finally got around to doing this myself. I was nervous about such a big job but just took my time and didnt rush a thing. Even took time to eat and play with the kids during breaks. Took about 4.5 hours to get it fully off but could have been done much quicker.

The hardest part was reaching one of the back bolts to the cover because of my big ass hands. Then had to use a flathead to wedge between the stubborn cover and the engine to pry it up and off. But other than that, it went smoothly! Very glad I did this on my own and save money.

Havent finished the reassembly yet. Found a seperate issue in one of my spark plug/coil housings that needs to be fixed. So waiting for those parts to come in.

Thanks for all the advice and tips in here!
Appreciate 0