BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-24-2015, 04:59 PM   #1
va_lemon
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

2016 X5 xDrive35i build and PCD

Hi everyone,

After months of following threads and discussions, I placed an order on 10/17 for a 2016 X5 xDrive35i with a Performance Center Delivery. This will be my second BMW vehicle also purchased from Passport BMW in the Washington, DC area. They've been great to work with for new orders and vehicle servicing.

Thanks to all contributors on this forum, I went through quite a few different configurations including the 35d. In the end, I probably went overboard with some of the options but we plan on keeping it for a while.

Here's the build list:
X5 xDrive35i M Sport
20" 469M Wheels
Mineral White Metallic
Canberra Beige Dakota Leather
Fineline Pure Oak Trim
Premium Package
Dynamic Handling Package
Adaptive M Suspension + rear axle air suspension
Driver Assistance Package
Driver Assistance Plus
ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant
Cold Weather Package
Lighting Package
Multi Contour Seats
Ceramic Controls
Leather Dashboard
Harman Kardon Surround Sound System
Comfort Rear Seats
Rear Manual Shades
Parking Assistant
Space-saver Spare

And current tracking status in the BMW system:
Name:  BMW X5.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  40.3 KB

Planned mods list:
Replace stock summer RFTs with Conti DWS 06
M Performance Power Kit
M Performance Gloss Black Grills
Painted front and rear reflectors
M50d Front Grill Trim
Xpel Ultimate Film
Ceramic Pro or Opti-Coat (I wonder if I can skip Xpel if I had Ceramic Pro applied)

We're awaiting confirmation for the Performance Center Delivery date. We had asked for the week before Thanksgiving. Plan is to pick up X5, spend a few days in Savannah, GA and Charleston, SC before returning to DC via I-95. If we were doing the PCD in October, I probably would've taken the Blue Ridge Parkway back and skipped the cities.

I'll keep this thread updated with pics and details from the PCD and all the mods.

Now we wait.

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 05:40 PM   #2
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Another Msport MW joins the ranks Congrats!
      10-24-2015, 05:46 PM   #3
va_lemon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang
Another Msport MW joins the ranks Congrats!
Thanks Kzang!

You made a strong case for Space Gray with your X5 and it was in the mix along with Carbon Black. But we're calling this my wife's car, so she got the deciding vote She's all for the mods that we have planned so I'm hoping that'll help differentiate it.

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 02:00 PM   #4
va_lemon
Private
Rep

PCD confirmed for Nov 19th. X5 should be built by Nov 3rd.

I'm planning on swapping out the summer 20" RFTs with Conti DWS06 All Seasons. We will be spending a few days in Savannah and Charleston before driving back to DC. I was thinking of having a shop there swap out the tires so I don't have 900 miles on the RFTs when I sell them. Maybe the shop would even purchase them.

Any suggestions?

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 03:12 PM   #5
twelve535i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lemon View Post

I'm planning on swapping out the summer 20" RFTs with Conti DWS06 All Seasons. We will be spending a few days in Savannah and Charleston before driving back to DC. I was thinking of having a shop there swap out the tires so I don't have 900 miles on the RFTs when I sell them. Maybe the shop would even purchase them.

Any suggestions?
That's going to work out is if you find a shop that has the tires in stock, which may be a challenge depending on the area. They would also need to be a market for your summer RFT, which there will likely be if they're stocking the DWS06 in 20" x5 sizes.
Look on tire rack, find a shop along your route home, call a few shops and see how much they'll offer you for your tires. If you find an acceptable offer, you can buy tires from tire rack and have the tires ship to the shop directly
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2015, 04:15 PM   #6
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lemon

Any suggestions?
Hey, congratulations on the new purchase. I'm sure you are extremely excited for the big day in November.

I noticed you said you placed your order on 17 October, and the car will be ready by the first week in November.

Is that a pretty standard time frame from placing the order to the completed build?

How long did it take from the day you got your Production number to the day you were able to track the build process on the website?

I ask because I got my Production number on 20 October, and all I see on the website after typing in the number is the allocation for the car. It's not even my specific X6 yet. I called the 800 number today, and the automated message said that my car hasn't been scheduled for production yet.

Does my process seemed to be delayed, or does my time line seem about the same as yours?
      10-26-2015, 06:56 PM   #7
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks Kzang!

You made a strong case for Space Gray with your X5 and it was in the mix along with Carbon Black. But we're calling this my wife's car, so she got the deciding vote She's all for the mods that we have planned so I'm hoping that'll help differentiate it.
Interesting as my wife selected Space Grey.
I was going for Mineral Silver. But she said that was our X3's color...so Space Grey it is.
Congrats on your order.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 07:17 PM   #8
mikebmwx5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016bmwx5

Nice build
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2015, 08:23 AM   #9
va_lemon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelve535i
Quote:

Any suggestions?
That's going to work out is if you find a shop that has the tires in stock, which may be a challenge depending on the area. They would also need to be a market for your summer RFT, which there will likely be if they're stocking the DWS06 in 20" x5 sizes.
Look on tire rack, find a shop along your route home, call a few shops and see how much they'll offer you for your tires. If you find an acceptable offer, you can buy tires from tire rack and have the tires ship to the shop directly
That's a great suggestion. I'll probably order from Tirerack and have them deliver to a Goodyear store in Savannah. I may also call the store directly and have them order the tires if the price is competitive.

Most likely I'll have to store the RFTs till spring to sell them.

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 08:30 AM   #10
va_lemon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day
Hey, congratulations on the new purchase. I'm sure you are extremely excited for the big day in November.

I noticed you said you placed your order on 17 October, and the car will be ready by the first week in November.

Is that a pretty standard time frame from placing the order to the completed build?

How long did it take from the day you got your Production number to the day you were able to track the build process on the website?

I ask because I got my Production number on 20 October, and all I see on the website after typing in the number is the allocation for the car. It's not even my specific X6 yet. I called the 800 number today, and the automated message said that my car hasn't been scheduled for production yet.

Does my process seemed to be delayed, or does my time line seem about the same as yours?
Thanks! Pretty excited about doing PCD as well. I placed order on Sat Oct 17, got production number on Oct 21 and the website tracking was updated on Oct 23 or 24.

I think there's a couple of variables that affect how long it takes a custom order to be built. One would be the dealer allocation slot that your car was assigned. The other is probably that there are more allocations for X5s than X6s though I could be wrong on this. The BMW production system likely works on the allocation slots that are coming up in the next week.

Your X6 may have been assigned a slot for next week in which case the online tracker should get updated in a few days. A BMW rep on the toll free number should definitely be able to provide some additional information as others have suggested.

All the best!

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 08:39 AM   #11
va_lemon
Private
Rep

Thanks! Hope they sort out your diesel order soon.

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 08:39 AM   #12
No Wives
United_States
Rep
Drives: Misc. German and Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post

As an FYI...It only took 14 total days, from order, to keys-in-hand, on my build (to Chicago)...and the website said it was still in production!

Bother your sales guy...his computer has more accurate info as to exactly where your car is.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 08:43 AM   #13
va_lemon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebmwx5
Nice build
Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 09:23 AM   #14
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wives
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post

As an FYI...It only took 14 total days, from order, to keys-in-hand, on my build (to Chicago)...and the website said it was still in production!

Bother your sales guy...his computer has more accurate info as to exactly where your car is.
You got your car in 14 days!?! That's awesome. Congratulations on the new car. I'm sure you were more than,excited to go pick up the keys after such a relatively short wait.

I hope to have mine by mid December. I will give them till the end of the week before I start calling them if I don't see the production process happening by then.
      10-27-2015, 06:16 PM   #15
E90325M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I have same plan to my first mod: replaced stock RFTs to Conti DWS 06. I checked the tirerack.com, it costs $995 plus shipping cost. can anybody know how much of brand new stock tires of X5 M-sport 20" can sell?
Attached Images