BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-05-2019, 11:40 AM   #89
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: V8

Anyone know when the M-version will come out?
      01-05-2019, 11:45 AM   #90
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

MY2020 I believe.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 12:20 PM   #91
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocksmithNick View Post
It’s the extra 3 inches on the bottom side of the grill that throws it off. I saw one at the dealership sitting right next to an F15 and immediately realized what they had done. F15 has that extra cut out under our kidneys, but G05 got rid of that and just extended the kidneys south an extra few inches, making it look ridiculous.
A good pic showing the aforementioned.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-05-2019, 04:53 PM   #92
LocksmithNick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M Sport - G05

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Exactly!! Thanks for posting
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 05:21 PM   #93
LocksmithNick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M Sport - G05

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
And honestly, had they just left the kidneys alone, it would have been a welcomed update. The rest of the “facelift” looks great, but they added too much filler to the lips lol.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2019, 05:45 PM   #94
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Exactly!! Thanks for posting

Quote:
And honestly, had they just left the kidneys alone, it would have been a welcomed update. The rest of the “facelift” looks great, but they added too much filler to the lips lol.
No clue why the designers went and omitted a distinctive design feature that had been on the previous three generations of the X5 (E53, E70, and F15)?

Of course BMW’s largest market is China followed by the U.S., and Germany. Most luxury automotive manufacturers these days are purely catering to the Chinese.
Attached Images

Last edited by SCA; 01-05-2019 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 06:21 PM   #95
Gilly1964
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 30d MSport

Ok, had a G05 on extended test drive for several hundred miles over the weekend.

Fairly neutral over the external appearance and didn’t rave over the interior as it’s a bit ‘nightclub’ for me.

Loved the extension of my TJA (25mph on dual carriageway) to Assisted Driving Mode (any speed on any road and resets the cruise to match the speed limit automatically) and the extra width in the HUD.

Think I’d have liked the kick-to-open tailgate if I’d have worked out how to make it work consistently.

Thought I liked the wider iDrive display until I realised that 90% of the time it was only showing me more places that weren’t on my route.

Nav in the dash is nice but the rest is a bit gamer-boy for me.

Otherwise - bigger all round (perhaps too much for my liking - so I’ll be in an X3 next test drive), very nice, very familiar but not enough improvement to make me spend my hard-earned for the differences.
Appreciate 2
      01-07-2019, 04:52 AM   #96
Stev_chu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5

Quote:
I mean, how much more tech do we need? Do people really not use the GPS on their phones? Because I've never found a better GPS than what's on my iPhone. Let's see, what else is there...music. How many different ways do we need to connect our phones to our radio to play music? Hand gestures? Come on...that's not what sells cars. Aesthetics and performance are what sells cars. Do folks really need their text messages to come through on their phone, watch, and now on the car screen? It just seems silly and unnecessary.
I never use any of those features in the car...I even use the charging cable to connect my music while in charge.. and you so right about the gps on the phones..they are way better than any gps in cars. Hand gestures is cool ..maybe I'll take a video of me moving my fingers to control the unit and post it on Facebook to make my friends jealous...that's about it lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 05:01 AM   #97
Stev_chu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
Quote:
I mean, how much more tech do we need? Do people really not use the GPS on their phones? Because I’ve never found a better GPS than what’s on my iPhone. Let’s see, what else is there...music. How many different ways do we need to connect our phones to our radio to play music? Hand gestures? Come on...that’s not what sells cars. Aesthetics and performance are what sells cars. Do folks really need their text messages to come through on their phone, watch, and now on the car screen? It just seems silly and unnecessary.
LMAO - dude I think most people on here would agree with you.....BUT I think the VAST majority of the public as a whole would not. How many non-BMW (etc) owners have you heard discuss the finer points of performance of their cars? I bet the majority of car owners could not tell you how many HP their car makes......if they could even tell you how many cylinders it has. We are car people, so we think about such things, but the majority of people are not. And how do you get a non car person to try a BMW? You make it a vain status symbol (done) and you pack it with gadgets to impress non performance people. Once you OWN a performance oriented car - it is hard to go back, but getting a non performance car person to shell out 70-100K for a car is tough.

You need gadgets in the car to make your car "sparkle like a holiday" to steal a saying from Rainman.

BMW has to market to it's own crowd AND attract new customers. You care a lot about total performance. Most car owners want to be entertained 24/7 including their 11 minute putt putt drive to work and the store each day.
I just want a bmw that pushes over 500 hps! I don't care if it has a cassette player or rotary windows
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2019, 09:08 PM   #98
Wavy
Captain
Rep
Drives: B8

Just when the 7 was growing on me, they go and mess it up with their grills

'23 B8, '84 Monte Carlo SS, '23 Escalade, '21 S 580, '20 AMG GT 53 , '18 LS 500, '18 X6, '16 Corvette, '12 750Li, '14 GS 350, '13 ES 350, '10 Maxima, '09 Challenger
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 08:26 PM   #99
swedesc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Volvo S60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
I’m at the local dealership now and snapped a few pics of a G05. I’ll agree that the interior appears to be a bit nicer and refined than the F15. But the entire exterior kills it for me. From the buck-teeth grill to the exhaust exit ports. The grill isn’t open like the grills on F15/16s, it’s plastic behind the slats.
Rubbish
The grill opens and shuts, thats why
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 08:41 PM   #100
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavy View Post

Just when the 7 was growing on me, they go and mess it up with their grills
This fad (overly large kindneys) will eventually pass, just like the ‘Bangle Butt’ did.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 08:42 PM   #101
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedesc View Post
The grill opens and shuts, thats why
Yeah, we discussed that mess on post 45 and beyond. Thanks
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2019, 09:59 AM   #102
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Did they keep the homelink in the rear view mirror? That is one thing I hate. All my non-BMW cars have had it in the sun visor. The buttons on my X5 have to be pressed pretty hard to get them to activate and I wind up moving my mirror a lot which I then have to adjust back. I find myself trying to put my fingers on top and thumb on the button to squeeze the button, but it is awkward to do and then I get finger prints on my mirror sometimes which my OCD self does not handle well. #firstworldproblems =)
      01-09-2019, 10:02 AM   #103
Wavy
Captain
Rep
Drives: B8

Quote:
Did they keep the homelink in the rear view mirror? That is one thing I hate. All my non-BMW cars have had it in the sun visor. The buttons on my X5 have to be pressed pretty hard to get them to activate and I wind up moving my mirror a lot which I then have to adjust back. I find myself trying to put my fingers on top and thumb on the button to squeeze the button, but it is awkward to do and then I get finger prints on my mirror sometimes which my OCD self does not handle well. #firstworldproblems =)
Lol. I hate that too. But now I have a garage door opener that connects to the wifi so I open the garage from the app while I'm sitting at a light.

'23 B8, '84 Monte Carlo SS, '23 Escalade, '21 S 580, '20 AMG GT 53 , '18 LS 500, '18 X6, '16 Corvette, '12 750Li, '14 GS 350, '13 ES 350, '10 Maxima, '09 Challenger
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 10:10 AM   #104
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavy View Post
Lol. I hate that too. But now I have a garage door opener that connects to the wifi so I open the garage from the app while I'm sitting at a light.
You read my mind! With the google assistant integration in the X5 working so well, I use it a lot to turn on my house lights as I come up my long driveway when it gets dark at 4pm in the winter. Actually ordered a smart switch to allow me to do the same with my porch lights and wondered about adding a smart switch to my garage door too. Set a routine "Welcome me home" and have it turn on my house lights, porch lights, and open the garage door or use location base to do it.

Every morning when I hit that button I cuss - this morning I moved the mirror again. Not sure why I have to press so hard to activate it - but all 3 buttons are the same way, so I assume it is by design.
      01-09-2019, 11:18 AM   #105
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Quote:
Every morning when I hit that button I cuss - this morning I moved the mirror again. Not sure why I have to press so hard to activate it - but all 3 buttons are the same way, so I assume it is by design.
Yes, that button is certainly not sensitive. Got to smash it and I'm unsuccessful on average about 1 out 3 attempts.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 11:31 AM   #106
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M302_imola View Post
Quote:
Yes, that button is certainly not sensitive. Got to smash it and I'm unsuccessful on average about 1 out 3 attempts.

Well at least I know mine is not just harder to press than most. My old one just took a slight press on the sun visor, but I feel like if I was an old lady I would not be able to reach and/or press this one! lol
      01-09-2019, 06:56 PM   #107
Stev_chu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M302_imola View Post
Quote:

Well at least I know mine is not just harder to press than most. My old one just took a slight press on the sun visor, but I feel like if I was an old lady I would not be able to reach and/or press this one! lol
I had the car for 3 years..still reach the wrong place for the garage opener every time ..worse place to put it X5!
Appreciate 2
unluky7528.00