FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
The $150K X5! Nice work, Erik!
art, passion and perfection are priceless!
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2021, 10:03 AM   #25
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Its crying out for an LED retrofit. Glare free high beam has got to be one of my favourite mods
      05-25-2021, 10:09 AM   #26
ggunn9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5

Garage List
2018 X5  [0.00]
This is a great thread and should be the standard for Build post.
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2021, 08:55 AM   #27
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' X7 40i M Sport

Garage List
Brought the truck in this week because I felt shamed about the suspension creaking! I was living with it, but writing up that suspension deep-dive post really got me thinking that it was unacceptable.

Turns out my K-MAC adjustable bushings are completely rusted and shot. I am in shock. These were installed only last June! Trying to decide my next move, but I'm happy the creaking wasn't due to my BC Racing Coilovers.

Do you guys think I should wait for a warranty replacement from K-MAC and just replace the bad bushings, or go back to a new OEM lower control arm? The labor for replacing the bushings on the existing control arms is more than replacing the entire control arm! Also thinking that since these are the original control arms / ball joints it is probably a good idea to replace the whole thing and move on. I will just have to deal with the negative camber in this scenario.
Attached Images

05-28-2021, 09:20 AM   #28
parthpatel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic_erik View Post
Brought the truck in this week because I felt shamed about the suspension creaking! I was living with it, but writing up that suspension deep-dive post really got me thinking that it was unacceptable.

Turns out my K-MAC adjustable bushings are completely rusted and shot. I am in shock. These were installed only last June! Trying to decide my next move, but I'm happy the creaking wasn't due to my BC Racing Coilovers.

Do you guys think I should wait for a warranty replacement from K-MAC and just replace the bad bushings, or go back to a new OEM lower control arm? The labor for replacing the bushings on the existing control arms is more than replacing the entire control arm! Also thinking that since these are the original control arms / ball joints it is probably a good idea to replace the whole thing and move on. I will just have to deal with the negative camber in this scenario.
Damn, well good to hear it wasn't the suspension. I feel as if the negative camber in the front won't be as bothersome to you than the rears, so might be able to get away with going back to OEM.
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2021, 09:22 AM   #29
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:

If it were me, given the failure so soon, I'd go back to OEM. Might be just a design flaw that won't get fixed with a replacement. My 2 cents.
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2021, 10:22 AM   #30
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 XDrive35i

Garage List
I went through similar on an old BMW and would def recommend going back to OEM.
2017 X5 XDrive35i X-Line | Sophisto Grey | MHD Full Flexfuel Tuned | Mosselman Turbo| Sutphin Tuning TCU | Nostrum Stage 2 HPFP | ER Charge Pipe | BimmerHausPerformance Intake and Inlet | ApexBuilt Catted DP | VRSF FMIC | Zeitronix Flexfuel Kit | KateCool Oil Cooler | Variant Wheels | Conti DWS06+ |
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2021, 10:25 AM   #31
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks guys. I am leaning the same way myself.
      06-01-2021, 10:55 AM   #32
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Quote:

That's crazy Eric! I have the same creaking noise but it's been there since before the BC's were installed. Is that #13 or #8 here: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...59#31126864821

Btw, my FCAB's are OEM.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 08:16 PM   #33
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M302_imola View Post
Quote:

That's crazy Eric! I have the same creaking noise but it's been there since before the BC's were installed. Is that #13 or #8 here: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...59#31126864821

Btw, my FCAB's are OEM.
Yes sir! Are you replacing your control arms to resolve the issue?

Part numbers 31126864821 and 31126864822.
      06-01-2021, 08:53 PM   #34
Jency_p
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

New to the BMW world and am learning as I go. I have a f15 x5 and want to upgrade to a big brake kit a quickly realized they dont come with big brakes in the rear. I see that you have a big brake kit in the rear. What rear caliper did you use and what bracket/kit did you use if not a direct bolt on?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 09:11 PM   #35
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jency_p View Post
New to the BMW world and am learning as I go. I have a f15 x5 and want to upgrade to a big brake kit a quickly realized they dont come with big brakes in the rear. I see that you have a big brake kit in the rear. What rear caliper did you use and what bracket/kit did you use if not a direct bolt on?
Welcome! Here you go bud.

https://tro-nik.com/product/upgrade-...5-f16-f85-f86/
      06-02-2021, 07:40 AM   #36
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yes sir! Are you replacing your control arms to resolve the issue?

Part numbers 31126864821 and 31126864822.
Judging by the part #'s you supplied looks like you were referring to part #13. I've actually already replaced the bushing on #13. I replaced it about 2 months back and it didn't fix my issue. I didn't know what I was getting into, so I didn't order the whole arm. Big mistake...took about 5-6 hours to push out the old bushing and push the new one into the arm using a press. The arm isn't flat so it made it a nightmare trying to line everything up with the press. Anyhow, lesson learned...never again. I'll fork over the extra coin for the whole arm. What sucks is the noise wasn't fixed so is the other lower FCA that needs replaced or was the ball joint on the arm I just replaced the bushing on bad. It seemed fine, but with these cars sounds can come from parts that "seem fine". I've actually changed the upper wishbone FCA assembly on both sides as well. Only part not changed is the #8 arm. Dropping the car off at my mechanics in an hour in hope he can diagnose. I'm thinking I have some tie rod issues as well since the traction control light is triggered on very light cornering. FML! This issue has been plaquing me for the past 4 months...hopefully I get to the bottom of it.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2021, 10:50 AM   #37
BMWofVS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
About time you crerated a build thread

How you like them Atturo's compared to the Toyo's?
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2021, 11:07 AM   #38
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWofVS View Post
About time you crerated a build thread

How you like them Atturo's compared to the Toyo's?
Thanks man it was a long time coming!

I like the AZ850s. They are quiet and perform as expected. Pretty sharp looking as well.
      06-02-2021, 05:56 PM   #39
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M302_imola View Post
Judging by the part #'s you supplied looks like you were referring to part #13. I've actually already replaced the bushing on #13. I replaced it about 2 months back and it didn't fix my issue. I didn't know what I was getting into, so I didn't order the whole arm. Big mistake...took about 5-6 hours to push out the old bushing and push the new one into the arm using a press. The arm isn't flat so it made it a nightmare trying to line everything up with the press. Anyhow, lesson learned...never again. I'll fork over the extra coin for the whole arm. What sucks is the noise wasn't fixed so is the other lower FCA that needs replaced or was the ball joint on the arm I just replaced the bushing on bad. It seemed fine, but with these cars sounds can come from parts that "seem fine". I've actually changed the upper wishbone FCA assembly on both sides as well. Only part not changed is the #8 arm. Dropping the car off at my mechanics in an hour in hope he can diagnose. I'm thinking I have some tie rod issues as well since the traction control light is triggered on very light cornering. FML! This issue has been plaquing me for the past 4 months...hopefully I get to the bottom of it.
I got the 2 arms confused in my statement above. I've actually changed the bushings in arm #8, but haven't replaced arm #13. My mechanic says that the bushing I replaced in arm #13 has some play so suggest replacing it again. I'll replace the whole arm this time. This better fix my issue. On top of that my mechanic found a torn axle boot. He found some grease on the inside of my wheel. My mechanic prefers to replace w/ a boot kit as he says the OEM axles are more heavy duty than aftermarket replacements. Looks like I'll be dumping another $600 in her

Quote:
Thanks man it was a long time coming!

I like the AZ850s. They are quiet and perform as expected. Pretty sharp looking as well.
Agree w/ Erik. I've been running the AZ850s for 2 years now and I love them. On my 2nd set now.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2021, 07:37 AM   #40
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Update - Spoke with Kevin at K-MAC who confirmed they completely overhauled the adjustable bushings with a new design so this type of issue won't happen again. I am going to replace the lower control arms and give K-MAC another shot with the free replacement adjustable bushings.
      06-05-2021, 07:44 AM   #41
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Update - Spoke with Kevin at K-MAC who confirmed they completely overhauled the adjustable bushings with a new design so this type of issue won't happen again. I am going to replace the lower control arms and give K-MAC another shot with the free replacement adjustable bushings.
I like FREE...I'm glad you contacted them!
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2021, 10:11 AM   #42
parthpatel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M Sport

Quote:
Quote:

Nice! From a purely asthetic perspective do you think you could get away with only the adjustable rear control arms? Thinking about leaning this way.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 08:52 PM   #43
jmack123
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
What are your thoughts on the RW side skirts? Worth the investment?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 09:38 PM   #44
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack123 View Post
What are your thoughts on the RW side skirts? Worth the investment?
I'm definitely high on their side skirts. Great fitment and the quality is excellent. No issues!