BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-15-2023, 09:57 PM   #1
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15’ Xdrive 50i

11' E70 35d (no love on e70 thread)

2011 35d X5 128k mikes I’m potentially looking to purchase. Finally pulled some codes. Basically I’m getting “Cylinder 6 and 1 glow plugs control circuit high” ….. “Exhaust Gas Recirculation Cooling System Performance”…. “Lost Communication With Glow Plug Control Module”……also included a summary from BMW dealer back in 11/2018 -12/2018 stating something about “EGR cooler flap binding / seized”. Not sure if that was fixed or not. If anyone has any input or thoughts about this vehicle please feel free to chime in. Purchase price would be roughly 5k. Thanks fellas
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 11:29 PM   #2
Smonkbmw
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 x5 m57

Garage List
2013 BMW x5 35d  [0.00]
Are you planning to do the deletes on this?
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2023, 06:17 AM   #3
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep

Smonkbmw

Honestly I wasn’t plan on doing the delete. Not really tryna dump a lot of cash into this vehicle and I also live in an admissions state (NJ) but I guess the delete it always an option depending on cost. I’m just trying to get an idea if the car is Drive able as is with the codes since this has been going on since late 2018. If all these codes are doing is illuminating the CEL / Emissions light in perfectly fine with that. Just don’t want to damage anything. I thought about checking the spring on the EGR as I’ve seen that’s a frequent problem. And if it’s broke maybe rigging it up for the time being with a Home Depot sprint job lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 06:20 AM   #4
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Glow plug module failure is common on the E70. It fails partially because the thermostat fails open, and the computer tries to compensate but running the glow plugs to keep the engine coolant up to temp.
If you are replacing, change the glow plugs as well (do it on a warm engine, don't want to break the plugs off in the head).
From my E70 days

https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...d-all-6-a.html
      02-16-2023, 07:03 AM   #5
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
Glow plug module failure is common on the E70. It fails partially because the thermostat fails open, and the computer tries to compensate but running the glow plugs to keep the engine coolant up to temp.
If you are replacing, change the glow plugs as well (do it on a warm engine, don't want to break the plugs off in the head).
From my E70 days

https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...d-all-6-a.html
blue dragon
Thanks buddy. I’ll check it out. Is there any risk of damanging anything for driving the care with these codes in the time being , or is it just the nuisance of the CEL / emissions light.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 09:32 AM   #6
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yes, there is. If you have a glow plug module fault code, you won't have regeneration occuring, so you could clog your DPF if you run it for a long time as is.
Short term, you should be okay
      02-16-2023, 09:42 AM   #7
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speenybean View Post
blue dragon
Thanks buddy. I’ll check it out. Is there any risk of damanging anything for driving the care with these codes in the time being , or is it just the nuisance of the CEL / emissions light.
Yes. There is always a risk of driving with a fault and the diesel systems cascade quickly if you let them.

You need, to start, glow plugs and a controller as blue dragon said. Did this job on our E70 35d. Not a bad job but will cost ~$500-600 with name brand parts.

It sounds like you don't want to fix this one. Sell it before it grenades and you have a paperweight.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 10:55 AM   #8
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
Yes. There is always a risk of driving with a fault and the diesel systems cascade quickly if you let them.

You need, to start, glow plugs and a controller as blue dragon said. Did this job on our E70 35d. Not a bad job but will cost ~$500-600 with name brand parts.

It sounds like you don't want to fix this one. Sell it before it grenades and you have a paperweight.
crystalworks
500-600$ for parts with DIY ? Or is labor extra.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 01:43 PM   #9
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
crystalworks
500-600$ for parts with DIY ? Or is labor extra.
DIY... Need glow plugs, glow plug controller, intake manifold gaskets, and other misc gaskets or plastic pieces that might break.

Wait a sec, I forgot ECS Tuning sells a kit... on sale currently $337.53.

ECS Glow Plug Kit
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 01:48 PM   #10
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smonkbmw View Post
crystalworks
Yea was gonna say they have the kit on ECS. Not sure how involved the DIY job is. I also have an M5 which I do some basic work on myself.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 04:10 PM   #11
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yea was gonna say they have the kit on ECS. Not sure how involved the DIY job is. I also have an M5 which I do some basic work on myself.
It's not hard. But it's not fun either. Most of the work is getting the EGR/throttle body off the intake manifold. Oh, and the coolant line that is in the way of the controller... F that thing. Had to call in my wife for reinforcements. My gorilla hands were getting all chewed up.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 08:20 AM   #12
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
It's not hard. But it's not fun either. Most of the work is getting the EGR/throttle body off the intake manifold. Oh, and the coolant line that is in the way of the controller... F that thing. Had to call in my wife for reinforcements. My gorilla hands were getting all chewed up.
Yeah, you need small hands if you aren't going to remove the coolant line. @speenybean In case you didn't get the other piece of implied maintenance, check your coolant temperature, your thermostat probably needs changing if glow plug module is out
      02-17-2023, 11:02 AM   #13
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
Yeah, you need small hands if you aren't going to remove the coolant line. @speenybean In case you didn't get the other piece of implied maintenance, check your coolant temperature, your thermostat probably needs changing if glow plug module is out
Yep. That's what took mine out.

Replaced the water pump, thermostat, and coolant lines while I was at it as I hate doing jobs twice.
Appreciate 0