04-27-2018, 01:30 PM   #1
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Question To vinyl wrap or not?

Last edited by Never_Enough; 05-25-2018 at 08:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 01:51 PM   #2
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Tough spot. I struggle with things like this myself. Since it is now spring....kinda, if it will actually stop raining and get above 45 degrees, I'm starting to spend less on the car and more on the home. Not sure if this helps you but this is my train of thought. My house and car are both paid off. The car I will probably only have for another year to year and a half. The car will continue to depreciate over time but my home will only increase in value as I continue to update, remodel, etc. To be honest, I feel somewhat stupid for spending the amount of money I have in my 10 year old E93.....it does look bad ass though.

Not sure how you feel about your Miata, but at the end of the day, it's a Miata, I'd sell the Miata and spend that money on the Chevelle (btw what year is the Chevelle? Have always had a soft spot for the '67's). The Chevelle will eventually get you more money than the Miata when you go to sell.

I tend to always have in the back of my mind that everything I own will eventually be sold. This being said, the highest priced items are what gets the most attention. Hope my rambling helped in some way.

Just noticed the poll results.
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2018, 01:54 PM   #3
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
Tough spot. I struggle with things like this myself. Since it is now spring....kinda, if it will actually stop raining and get above 45 degrees, I'm starting to spend less on the car and more on the home. Not sure if this helps you but this is my train of thought. My house and car are both paid off. The car I will probably only have for another year to year and a half. The car will continue to depreciate over time but my home will only increase in value as I continue to update, remodel, etc. To be honest, I feel somewhat stupid for spending the amount of money I have in my 10 year old E93.....it does look bad ass though.

Not sure how you feel about your Miata, but at the end of the day, it's a Miata, I'd sell the Miata and spend that money on the Chevelle (btw what year is the Chevelle? Have always had a soft spot for the '67's). The Chevelle will eventually get you more money than the Miata when you go to sell.

I tend to always have in the back of my mind that everything I own will eventually be sold. This being said, the highest priced items are what gets the most attention. Hope my rambling helped in some way.

Just noticed the poll results.
Sorry, the Miata is not for sale any time soon. I enjoy it too much & I own it so it only cost me what I choose to spend.

67 is my favorite year as well. You're posting like you assume I already have a Chevelle. I don't, I want to shop for one once the MS6 sells.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 01:57 PM   #4
Kid Eh
I used to be conceited, now I'm perfect.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Hmmm a fiery orange Miata. Do they make a mens version?

"I used to be conceited. Now I'm perfect"
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13154.00
yousefnjr6159.00
      04-27-2018, 02:07 PM   #5
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

With a car as small as a Miata, I’d be tempted to try wrapping it myself as a DIY project lol
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      04-27-2018, 02:16 PM   #6
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
Maaco $400 paint job ain't that bad.... I had my 1990 miata painted a couple of times over the course of keeping it from Maaco and it looked great... I'd get it repainted when the rocker rust would start showing thru the bondo work.... tried even drilling holes in the rocker to get rid of water settling in there... worked but the rust was always present...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 02:23 PM   #7
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
Sorry, the Miata is not for sale any time soon. I enjoy it too much & I own it so it only cost me what I choose to spend.

67 is my favorite year as well. You're posting like you assume I already have a Chevelle. I don't, I want to shop for one once the MS6 sells.
My bad. I misunderstood. Where are you at with buying a home? Have one in mind already? Know what you need to do for the new home yet?

I'm one of those people that look for small signs in life to point you in the right direction. The fact that no one at the shop or has returned a call would be enough for me to save the money and see what happens with the house first. I'm also that guy that spends money and then after needs it for something else.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 02:49 PM   #8
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I've never put a dime into car mods for the same reason you are hesitating.

Wraps, mods, etc. are simply money flushed down the toilet. That coin can be saved or invested. Cars depreciate like mad, it's not worth it unless you truly have money to blow.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 02:56 PM   #9
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post

Wraps, mods, etc. are simply money flushed down the toilet. That coin can be saved or invested. Cars depreciate like mad, it's not worth it unless you truly have money to blow.
sometimes you gotta pay to play. it's not always about saving and investing. it's about what makes you happy.

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      04-27-2018, 03:16 PM   #10
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
sometimes you gotta pay to play. it's not always about saving and investing. it's about what makes you happy.
Truu
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2018, 04:14 PM   #11
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
With a car as small as a Miata, I’d be tempted to try wrapping it myself as a DIY project lol
Thought about it, but I don't have the patience. Maybe I will try it over the winter if I don't have a shop do it.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 04:16 PM   #12
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Cars are my main passion. I don't even wanna think about all the $ I have spent on cars & car shit in my life, but it makes me happy & we cannot take it with us. Plus, even if I never spent anything on cars, I'd be working till I die anyway so fuck it.
Appreciate 2
      04-27-2018, 04:17 PM   #13
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
My bad. I misunderstood. Where are you at with buying a home? Have one in mind already? Know what you need to do for the new home yet?

I'm one of those people that look for small signs in life to point you in the right direction. The fact that no one at the shop or has returned a call would be enough for me to save the money and see what happens with the house first. I'm also that guy that spends money and then after needs it for something else.
I'm still looking for the right house, but to be honest, I doubt I'll find one I want in my price range without making my commute well over an hour & no way in hell I'm doing that to myself. The housing market is stupid right now. I will give it a couple more months then maybe give up & buy a Hellcat or something to fuck with. I already have another shop to do the vinyl wrap.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      04-30-2018, 01:58 PM   #14
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I've decided not to wrap it. I might try it myself over the winter.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 02:07 PM   #15
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

Quote:

How is modding a car any different than buying a BMW? Waste of money. Higher depreciation than most. Should have gotten a KIA.
      05-01-2018, 09:36 PM   #16
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
Yup...+1

Just finished wrapping my 124 Spider. Took 16 hours to do...and I'd be for trying the entire thing over time. I'd say watch some youtube videos and give it a try yourself.
Attached Images

Last edited by ShopVac; 05-01-2018 at 09:47 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-05-2018, 01:50 AM   #17
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Looks awesome!

I just got quoted $3000 to wrap my little 135i lol. That’s quite a bit
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 12:57 AM   #18
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Consider this if you think $2k is expensive. I did my full wrap on an STi a while back and it took me about 45 hours and $600 worth of materials and tools. Worked non stop in a week and maybe over 30 hours of YouTube prior to that. Is it hard? No. It just gets a bit frustrating sometimes in difficult areas and demands a lot of patience. I just wanted to learn how to do it and I most likely won't do it again. Would happily pay a pro to do it next time.

There is something extremely satisfying about wrapping a car though.