BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-17-2022, 06:07 PM   #1
Brah02
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW X5 45e, '16 X5 40e

Unplugging Battery?

Will unplugging the battery in my X5 cause any issues? Will I need to "register" it as I have seen on some videos?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 07:02 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Battery registration is required when you replace an old battery with a new one. Disconnecting the battery does NOT require registration.

You may lose some settings like time & date...and you'll definitely have to reinitialize the sunroof...instructions are in the built-in iDrive owners manual.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 08:39 AM   #3
jmack123
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brah02 View Post
Will unplugging the battery in my X5 cause any issues? Will I need to "register" it as I have seen on some videos?
Do make sure whenever you unplug the battery that you allow all systems to fully power off. If you don't you can get drivetrain errors etc. after reconnecting.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 10:35 AM   #4
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack123 View Post
Do make sure whenever you unplug the battery that you allow all systems to fully power off. If you don't you can get drivetrain errors etc. after reconnecting.
This!!! There are quite a few posts here where owners ended up frying something (fuses, water pumps, etc.) due to the X5 not being fully shut down.

What seems like a good way to know if the car is asleep is to look to see if the Hazard button is still illuminated. If it's lit, wait.

Also, before you let the car power down, make sure to pop your trunk and possibly the driver's door. Doing this will let you have access to the vehicle without waking it up when you begin the swap.

You most likely have two batteries . Disconnect the both negatives, then both positives. Remove & Replace, then connect both positives followed by each negative.

Appreciate 2
jmack1231300.50
      08-18-2022, 01:07 PM   #5
jmack123
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack123 View Post
This!!! There are quite a few posts here where owners ended up frying something (fuses, water pumps, etc.) due to the X5 not being fully shut down.

What seems like a good way to know if the car is asleep is to look to see if the Hazard button is still illuminated. If it's lit, wait.

Also, before you let the car power down, make sure to pop your trunk and possibly the driver's door. Doing this will let you have access to the vehicle without waking it up when you begin the swap.

You most likely have two batteries . Disconnect the both negatives, then both positives. Remove & Replace, then connect both positives followed by each negative.
Great call on the hazard light, that's exactly what I looked for as it seems to be the last light to go out. Also good call on opening the trunk and leaving it open before disconnecting. One last piece of advice - I would leave my key inside the house somewhere so there is no possibility that you accidentally activate any accessories. If you do this and wait for about 15-20 mins you should be safe.
Appreciate 0