01-31-2019, 09:52 PM   #23
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDrivingManiac View Post
Google “BMW N63”.
Guys n63 is previous generation engine, was used in E70 x5 - 2nd gen. x5, while we are in 3rd gen. f15.

n63 has many flaws, n63tu has not. there are always exceptions, but we are not seeing mass failures that were on n63. There's tons of changes that were made, there's a long list that i posted like 5 times already lol.

Engine mechanical
• New cylinder head due to use of the Turbo Valvetronic Direct Injection (TVDI) procedure
• 3rd generation Valvetronic
• New valvetrain with modified timing
• Adoption of VANOS from the N55 engine
• New cylinder head cover with adapted crankcase ventilation
• Pistons with modified piston crown geometry
• New connecting rod with even pitch and adaptation of the crankcase due to modified connecting rod shape
• Adapted crankshaft
• Chain drive with modified guide rails and an extruded chain with 142 elements.

Oil supply
• Pendulum slide cell pump with small overall width
• Eight individual oil spray nozzles for piston crown cooling.

Cooling
• Integration of the two engine control units in the low-temperature circuit and cooling over the back panel with cooling pipe
• Expansion tank under the left side wall with separate filling hopper.

Intake and exhaust emission systems
• Adaptation of the manifold for the air intake duct due to new geometry of the cylinder head cover
• Use of the hot film air mass meter 7
• Adoption of the charge air temperature and intake-manifold pressure sensor from the N20 engine
• Exhaust turbocharger with new compressor and modified wastegate valves
• Discontinuation of the blow-off valves.

Vacuum system
• Two-stage vacuum pump with new arrangement of the bolt connection
• Vacuum reservoir for the wastegate valves in the V-area of the engine.

Fuel preparation
• Use of the known high-pressure injection with injectors and high pressure pump HDP5
• Discontinuation of fuel low-pressure sensor

Engine management system
• New dual control unit concept with one control unit per bank
• Oil level sensor with an additional temperature sensor in the main oil duct behind the starter motor.

Simply put it's a vastly different engine, DME is different, different engine management, turbines are different, injectors, valvetronics/vanos, piston design, etc etc. Basically n63tu is free of main issues that n63 had. It's so much different, that guys at n63 forum who were looking to swap n63tu into their cars abandoned that idea due to amount of differences and complexity of project. I'm talking about guys who swap LS engine previously so they are not amateurs.
It's 2019 and we have 100k+ miles 50i, we have tuned and abused 50i (yours truly) and we have 5 years since n63tu was put into our f15 chassis and it's safe to say that it's solid. Any rare exceptions (outliers) just confirm it. We don't see failures to the point where almost every other n63 was affected. It's a different engine and it's solid.
I mean n63tu established itself as a solid engine already - we now have G05 4th gen x5 already selling everywhere lol. I think it's time to conclude that n63tu is solid.

Last edited by DuSh; 01-31-2019 at 10:02 PM..
Appreciate 3
Chigger88.00
Maverik2594146.00
CT335xi684.00
      01-31-2019, 09:54 PM   #24
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by delt31 View Post
I forget the details but when I was researching the 50i, it was warning after warning regarding LONG term purchase. At this guys miles (over 100k) - that seems to be dicey but I'm also a guy who likes to buy cars with 25k or less.
yes, that was n63 buddy. Different engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 08:26 AM   #25
Latorre
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocksmithNick View Post
Forget about the possible (probable) engine and trans problems for a second and consider this;

When I met my wife, she had a 325i with 70k miles. The car was great. By the time that car hit 120k, the windows no longer went up and down, the interior trim was falling off the doors, the seats were starting to split, the armrest leather had cracked, the sunroof wouldn’t open, unsolvable oil leaks, 2 water pumps and thermostats, and finally, the trans started doing something strange. Ended up selling the car for $1000.

So how many miles are you expecting to put on this X5 that already has 100k? $25,000 is a lot of cash. A lot of folks don’t have that kind of money laying around. I do, but I definitely wouldn’t spend it in the fashion that you’re considering. So you either A) are extremely wealthy (then why buy an old X5), or B) you recently inherited this cash and are looking to spend it. Which is it?
I’m neither “extremely wealthy” nor did I just inherit anything. I do have Cash though, cause I like the Freedom. I drive a Tesla Model S but my wife isn’t ready for an EV, selfishly, I’d like the best of both worlds (hence the Beefy V8 50i) but don’t want to spend more than $30k on her car, for I know she’s not a driver and won’t move it out of the driveway except to run errands and the occasional visit to the remote office.

When I saw this one pop-up, it excited me. In a way, I want to buy it and post an on going thread about my relationship and experience with a 2014 102k mile 50i

Last edited by Latorre; 02-01-2019 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 08:38 AM   #26
BimmerTy
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 X5 50i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latorre View Post
I’m neither “extremely wealthy” nor did I just inherit anything. I do have Cash though, cause I like the Freedom. I drive a Tesla Model S but my wife isn’t ready for an EV, selfishly, I’d like the best of both worlds (hence the Beefy V8 50i) but don’t want to spend more than $30k on her car, for I know she’s not a driver and won’t move it out of the driveway except to run errands and the occasional visit to the remote office.

When I saw this one pop-up, it excited me. In a weird way, I want to buy it and post an on going thread about my relationship sand experience with a 2014 102k mile 50i
If I was in your position, I'd buy the X5 with the warranty for piece of mind. 4K for 75k miles is a steal -depending on what it covers obviously.

DuSh is right, the N63tu has been rock solid so far, but there are not many X5s currently over 100K miles so we really don't know what issues may come up at 100K, 120K, 140K. Just be prepared for the resale value to be around $10K in 3 years.
2015 F15 X5 xDrive50i - M Sport - Space Grey Metallic - 21" 612M - Accelera Iota ST68's - Black Dakota - Leather Dash - Poplar Wood - Ceramic - Shawdowline - Anthracite - Adaptive M - Full LED - Executive - DA+ - Surround - HUD - Enhanced BT - Soft Close - B&O - ACC Stop & Go - Multi Contour - 4 Zone Climate - Comfort Seats - Cold Weather - Muffler Delete - Akrapovic Tips - F85 Grille - 35% Tint - BMW All Weather Mats -- Missing DHP, NV, Active Steering, Rear Entertainment, & Cooled Seats
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 08:48 AM   #27
Latorre
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerTy View Post
If I was in your position, I'd buy the X5 with the warranty for piece of mind. 4K for 75k miles is a steal -depending on what it covers obviously.

DuSh is right, the N63tu has been rock solid so far, but there are not many X5s currently over 100K miles so we really don't know what issues may come up at 100K, 120K, 140K. Just be prepared for the resale value to be around $10K in 3 years.
Good Morning,
It amazing how there really aren’t any over 100k, where do they all go? 🤔

Yea, the resale will dip below the Freezing Mark but at the end of the day, someone will buy it.

I Love hearing the different points of view, very stimulating.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 08:51 AM   #28
Iaro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 xdrive50i M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by delt31 View Post
2014 50i engine at 102k miles. I wouldn't touch that with a 100 ft pole. 35i maybe. Didn't the 14 and even 15 50i have engine flaws?
I have a 2015 and not a single problem ever
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 09:02 AM   #29
Chigger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5

I say go for it if you can get it for $22k cash. Sounds like the vehicle has a good service record and you know people they can do basic maintenance and fix Bimmers.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 10:19 AM   #30
spacegray_f15
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 N55 M sport

in contrary to everyones belief about the extended warranty, I got an extended 3yr/36k on my 14 35i for $3k I wanna say, its only been a year and Ive already had 5k worth of work done, (sunroof seal had to be replaced/drain lines needed cleaned, seat heater/passenger chair back replaced, and a few smaller things) and I am planning on taking it in for any little thing I can replaced while under warranty. So IMHO I would say go for the warranty, especially with the 50i with 100k+ because even an oil leak could cost a few thousand plus you'll get a loaner.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2019, 12:07 PM   #31
Mdlooker
Private
Rep
Drives: F16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocksmithNick View Post
Forget about the possible (probable) engine and trans problems for a second and consider this;

When I met my wife, she had a 325i with 70k miles. The car was great. By the time that car hit 120k, the windows no longer went up and down, the interior trim was falling off the doors, the seats were starting to split, the armrest leather had cracked, the sunroof wouldn't open, unsolvable oil leaks, 2 water pumps and thermostats, and finally, the trans started doing something strange. Ended up selling the car for $1000.

So how many miles are you expecting to put on this X5 that already has 100k? $25,000 is a lot of cash. A lot of folks don't have that kind of money laying around. I do, but I definitely wouldn't spend it in the fashion that you're considering. So you either A) are extremely wealthy (then why buy an old X5), or B) you recently inherited this cash and are looking to spend it. Which is it?
It seems to me that he's looking at this as a great value for what he's being offered contrasted with what he already has. He expressed an upgrade from a Volvo, driving that upgrade at 8K a year with a warranty of 75K which looks (from surface outside looking-in) as a covered high-end vehicle for at least 5yrs, all for under 30K. If he's not worried about having the latest and greatest model but is still in the ball park and covered, all for under 30K, it may not be a bad deal under those premises.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 12:11 PM   #32
Mdlooker
Private
Rep
Drives: F16

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacegray_f15 View Post
in contrary to everyones belief about the extended warranty, I got an extended 3yr/36k on my 14 35i for $3k I wanna say, its only been a year and Ive already had 5k worth of work done, (sunroof seal had to be replaced/drain lines needed cleaned, seat heater/passenger chair back replaced, and a few smaller things) and I am planning on taking it in for any little thing I can replaced while under warranty. So IMHO I would say go for the warranty, especially with the 50i with 100k+ because even an oil leak could cost a few thousand plus you'll get a loaner.
I feel really good having warranties on these high-end vehicles. One of the coverages I have, is the wheel and tire pkg. At 7months into my buy and already have some rim-rash and screw in my back tire. Each tire is over $550 and the rim-rash repair will run some bucks. Sill 4 1/2yrs of coverage to go—feels good to know I'm covered.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 05:55 PM   #33
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Great buy. Although curious if it's just for the wife and you have a 30k budget I would go more for the safe bet. But that's just me. Not saying you'll have any crazy issues but you WILL have some issues coming soon. PPI is a must and I would use the results to bargain the price to either have it ALL fixed or the price reflect you getting most of it fixed. Seals and fluid changes I would have done immediately. All fluids. Even the "lifetime" BS bmw tries to sell you on differential and tranny.

Change em! And change oil every 5-7k miles. Don't wait till 10k. I would be wary if that's that 50i has had only 10 oil changes in its life.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 07:48 PM   #34
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Define "fully loaded". That means Night Vision, B&O, 21" wheels, rear entertainment, etc. etc.

Want to show us what all she has?
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2019, 07:52 PM   #35
markymarc1979
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 G12 + 15 F06 + 17 F15

Garage List
2009 BMW E93  [0.00]
2012 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
Extended warranty = money down the toilet. Don't be a fool. Take it as it comes.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 05:03 PM   #36
Latorre
Private
Rep

??

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Define "fully loaded". That means Night Vision, B&O, 21" wheels, rear entertainment, etc. etc.

Want to show us what all she has?
See the attached window
Attached Images

Brian
Valhalla, NY
Appreciate 1
1230vani660.00
      02-03-2019, 05:04 PM   #37
Latorre
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc1979 View Post
Extended warranty = money down the toilet. Don't be a fool. Take it as it comes.
Lol, Why not, F'it. Let's live a Little.

Brian
Valhalla, NY
Appreciate 1
unluky7539.00
      02-03-2019, 08:44 PM   #38
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
These cars are not cheap to maintain, no matter which one you buy, but if you do, they can and will last forever.

Pretty much every BMW I sold had almost 200,000 miles on it and they looked and ran like brand new because I did all the maintenance and took care of it.

Currently have an 01 740i that if you got in and drove it you would think was a brand new car it has 137,000 miles on it, but I did things like completely refresh the suspension (all bushings too not just shocks/struts) and redid the chain guides, about $4000 right there, its pay to play with these cars.
      02-03-2019, 11:57 PM   #39
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
See the attached window
While it's somewhat nicely optioned it's no where near fully loaded. But really, it's almost impossible to find one with nearly every option.

Off the top of my head this one is missing:

Driver's Assistance Package/Driver's Assistance Plus
Dynamic Handling Package
Adaptive M Suspension
Active Steering
ACC Stop & Go (Active Cruise)
Front Ventilated Seats
Rear Comfort Seats
3rd Row Seats (NA if you have 3rd row)
Space Saver Tire (NA if you have 3rd row)
Rear Seat Entertainment System
20" inch wheels
Bang & Olufsen Sound System
Night Vision Pedestrian Detection
Parking Assistant
Appreciate 1
P111582.50
      02-04-2019, 11:24 AM   #40
Latorre
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
While it's somewhat nicely optioned it's no where near fully loaded. But really, it's almost impossible to find one with nearly every option.

Off the top of my head this one is missing:

Driver's Assistance Package/Driver's Assistance Plus
Dynamic Handling Package
Adaptive M Suspension
Active Steering
ACC Stop & Go (Active Cruise)
Front Ventilated Seats
Rear Comfort Seats
3rd Row Seats (NA if you have 3rd row)
Space Saver Tire (NA if you have 3rd row)
Rear Seat Entertainment System
20" inch wheels
Bang & Olufsen Sound System
Night Vision Pedestrian Detection
Parking Assistant

Ok, Maybe not "Fully Loaded" but its Pretty Damn Loaded. The only thing I really wish it had was the Dynamic Handling and 360 Camera Package. But if the PPI comes out with Passing Grades, It'll be a good deal.
The OEM Rims can be bought online, no biggie.

Brian
Valhalla, NY
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 11:25 AM   #41
Latorre
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
These cars are not cheap to maintain, no matter which one you buy, but if you do, they can and will last forever.

Pretty much every BMW I sold had almost 200,000 miles on it and they looked and ran like brand new because I did all the maintenance and took care of it.

Currently have an 01 740i that if you got in and drove it you would think was a brand new car it has 137,000 miles on it, but I did things like completely refresh the suspension (all bushings too not just shocks/struts) and redid the chain guides, about $4000 right there, its pay to play with these cars.
Agreed, and an '01 740i, Nice man! Share a link to some pics when you can.

Brian
Valhalla, NY
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 11:32 AM   #42
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Ok, Maybe not "Fully Loaded" but its Pretty Damn Loaded. The only thing I really wish it had was the Dynamic Handling and 360 Camera Package. But if the PPI comes out with Passing Grades, It'll be a good deal.
It has your basic options you'd expect from a 50i, but certainly nothing more than that.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 11:35 AM   #43
Latorre
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Quote:
It has your basic options you'd expect from a 50i, but certainly nothing more than that.
Thanks. Compared to the 35i, the 50i is Loaded. Sharp Car.

Appreciate the feedback.

Brian
Valhalla, NY
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 01:14 PM   #44
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Compared to the 35i, the 50i is Loaded. Sharp Car.

Appreciate the feedback.
Have you seen this X5 in person? I saw the photos online and it looks a bit beaten up. Heavy wear on the driver's seat, missing wheel caps, off-brand tires...
Appreciate 0