BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-01-2017, 08:21 PM   #1
xdriverx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 35i Xdrive

Cup holder sliding cover is jammed shut

So this is weird. I slid the front cup holder cover closed after I parked the car. I usually just leave it open but for whatever reason I closed it.

The next day I tried to open it but it opens about an inch and then kind of stops. I pushed as hard as I could but no go. It does feel like it's jammed against a spring because it feels like it springs against something.

Any clue what it could or if anyone else has come across this issue with a potential fix?

I have an appointment with the dealership on Saturday but I'd like to save myself a trip if I can fix it myself.

It's still under warranty.

2014 X5 F15
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 08:28 PM   #2
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Something you put under the cover is making contact and restricting the covers travel.
      01-01-2017, 08:44 PM   #3
xdriverx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15GorDe View Post
Something you put under the cover is making contact and restricting the covers travel.
Any easy way to get in there to remove the obstruction if so? I'm not equipped to take the console apart.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 09:30 PM   #4
F15GorDe
United_States
Rep

Sometimes you can just whack it, sometimes you just push a bit more forcefully against the resistance. The "springyness" tells me that whatever it is it's of a material with give to it, a business card, matchbook, a pack of gum, a credit card, folded piece of paper, you get the idea.

If it's not under the flexible cover then it will be something that at one time was on top of the cover, in the closed position, that then fell into the opening left between the cover and the opening that the cover slides into when opening to reveal the cup holders. If it's that then a disassembly of the console is required to get to and remove the item.

Hope it's the first, the second will be a bit more costly.

Happy New Year
      01-01-2017, 09:36 PM   #5
xdriverx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15GorDe View Post
Sometimes you can just whack it, sometimes you just push a bit more forcefully against the resistance. The "springyness" tells me that whatever it is it's of a material with give to it, a business card, matchbook, a pack of gum, a credit card, folded piece of paper, you get the idea.

If it's not under the flexible cover then it will be something that at one time was on top of the cover, in the closed position, that then fell into the opening left between the cover and the opening that the cover slides into when opening to reveal the cup holders. If it's that then a disassembly of the console is required to get to and remove the item.

Hope it's the first, the second will be a bit more costly.

Happy New Year
Thanks for the advice. I'll try again tomorrow to manipulate the obstruction somehow.

Would BMW charge me to fix this problem even though it's under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 09:39 PM   #6
F15GorDe
United_States
Rep

Oh, yeah.

They call it "tuition to the school of hard knocks".

Up to the dealer. Hope they see you as a most valued customer.
      01-01-2017, 10:31 PM   #7
Neuera09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 Xline with MPPK

There was a thread about a member with a coin stuck under/behind the cup holder area. I believe his dealer was quoting him $500 to get the coin out. He ended up doing it himself using a DYI guide from RG Sports. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 06:28 AM   #8
theove
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 4.0E

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1156318

I had a credit card on top. It fell behind the cover and I could not open the cover anymore.
Don't put small flat things on the cover is my lesson learned....
Appreciate 1
F15GorDe261.00
      01-03-2017, 10:27 AM   #9
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdriverx View Post
Thanks for the advice. I'll try again tomorrow to manipulate the obstruction somehow.

Would BMW charge me to fix this problem even though it's under warranty?
They should fix it under warranty.
I've got many things fixed under warranty that were entirely my fault.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 09:37 PM   #10
xdriverx
Private First Class
Rep

Through brute force I managed to dislodge whatever was jamming the cup holder tray cover. So now I don't have to bring my car in for something so trivial. Thanks for the advice everyone!
Appreciate 0