01-07-2017, 06:47 AM   #1
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X7 M50d

UK 50,000 mile/5 year service plan

Hi Folks,
Probably more relevant to those in the UK, however anyone else who can advice would be appreciated. I need to clarify what's included within the BMW service pack.
When I was shopping around for my new X5 I approached three dealerships for competitive prices to include a five year service plan.
However each of the dealerships were quoting different prices ranging from £575 to just over £1000.
The dealership I have placed the order with quoted the least (£575) but I'm now concerned I'm not getting what I was expecting for a full like for like product, to include the 4 routine services (labour and parts)?
The dealership has told me the plan is a "Service Inclusive" policy which includes 3 MOT protected covers and all servicing but no cover for brake pads and discs, clutch assembly and wiper blade rubbers.
Am I right in saying this is the normal service plan to expect? Does everyone else have the similar cover?
I obviously don't want to disclose to the dealership that they were the cheapest in providing this however would like to have peace of mind about all service costs being taken care of for free over the next 5 years.
Do dealership set their own rates?
Finally I'm assuming that I can go to any BMW service stations to have the works done and not have to rely on just the one?
Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 07:09 AM   #2
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

I took this out 2 years ago and it is world wide so I used it first time in Dec 16 here in The Netherlands. The price is set on the BMW website and varies on what you have, the higher being including brake pads, etc. Even though I had the 5 yr package I still had €100 bill for some stuff not covered (cleaning of some gubbins underneath, AddBlue, etc). All in though I think it is worth it, but best to expect some sort of bill! Oddly enough I added it to my wife's May 16 Mini JCW, but it is only valid in the UK so unless we go back to UK we'll just have to pay!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 09:35 AM   #3
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M50D View Post
Hi Folks,
Probably more relevant to those in the UK, however anyone else who can advice would be appreciated. I need to clarify what's included within the BMW service pack.
When I was shopping around for my new X5 I approached three dealerships for competitive prices to include a five year service plan.
However each of the dealerships were quoting different prices ranging from £575 to just over £1000.
The dealership I have placed the order with quoted the least (£575) but I'm now concerned I'm not getting what I was expecting for a full like for like product, to include the 4 routine services (labour and parts)?
The dealership has told me the plan is a "Service Inclusive" policy which includes 3 MOT protected covers and all servicing but no cover for brake pads and discs, clutch assembly and wiper blade rubbers.
Am I right in saying this is the normal service plan to expect? Does everyone else have the similar cover?
I obviously don't want to disclose to the dealership that they were the cheapest in providing this however would like to have peace of mind about all service costs being taken care of for free over the next 5 years.
Do dealership set their own rates?
Finally I'm assuming that I can go to any BMW service stations to have the works done and not have to rely on just the one?
Thanks for your help.
I'm not sure now what the situation is regarding Service Inclusive from Jan 1st.

Certainley it was £575 for a 5-year/50k mile Service Pack, as my dealer quoted me the same price. The more expensive price is the more extensive service pack which includes everything, such brake consumables etc. From memory that was well over £1000.
These prices were all stated on the BMW website, but I've just looked and it seems its all changed from 1st Jan!
It now looks like BMW are now only offering a 3 year/36k mile service inclusive pack instead, which costs £399....

http://www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/topics/ow...inclusive.html

5 years at £575 is worth it IMHO.
3 years at £399 I'm not so sure about?

I'll be querying this with my dealer next week.

And yes, you can use any BMW dealer, you are not restricted to one dealer.
      01-07-2017, 10:29 AM   #4
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
I'm not sure now what the situation is regarding Service Inclusive from Jan 1st.

Certainley it was £575 for a 5-year/50k mile Service Pack, as my dealer quoted me the same price. The more expensive price is the more extensive service pack which includes everything, such brake consumables etc. From memory that was well over £1000.
These prices were all stated on the BMW website, but I've just looked and it seems its all changed from 1st Jan!
It now looks like BMW are now only offering a 3 year/36k mile service inclusive pack instead, which costs £399....

http://www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/topics/ow...inclusive.html

5 years at £575 is worth it IMHO.
3 years at £399 I'm not so sure about?

I'll be querying this with my dealer next week.

And yes, you can use any BMW dealer, you are not restricted to one dealer.
Thanks guys for clarifying this for me.
One of the conditions of my purchase was that I get the 5 year service plan even though collection is mid March.
It was made clear by my dealer that a new car purchase from 1st January 17 can only qualify for a 3 year plan, hence why I had to make a quick decision to buy just before Xmas.
IMO a 3 year plan is still worth the money as it will pay for itself after its first service. I have been quoted service A is £360 (16k miles) and service B is £800 (32k miles).
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 11:10 AM   #5
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
IMO a 3 year plan is still worth the money as it will pay for itself after its first service. I have been quoted service A is £360 (16k miles) and service B is £800 (32k miles).
That will depend on what your annual mileage is.

If you're doing 15k+ per annum, yes, it's still worth it as you'll likely get that 2nd 'B' service in the pack before it expires. If you do less than 15k/annum, you'll likely only get the one service, as you won't get that so-called B service in before the 3 year period expires.
I fell foul of that, with my 5yr pack on my 135i....missed getting the last service included by month!!!
      01-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #6
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:

X5M50D

If you're doing 15k+ per annum, yes, it's still worth it as you'll likely get that 2nd 'B' service in the pack before it expires. If you do less than 15k/annum, you'll likely only get the one service, as you won't get that so-called B service in before the 3 year period expires.
I fell foul of that, with my 5yr pack on my 135i....missed getting the last service included by month!!!
Interesting subject..I took out the 3 year pack in May 2014.
Since then I have only needed one oil change.
I have now done about 33,000 and the car is saying service i.e. front and rear pads not required for another 3,100 miles. The thing is its been saying that for more than 4,000 miles!
It's saying an Oil Change sometime in December this year!

I don't think I'm getting my money's worth..or am I

I cannot make up my mind to keep the car past it's 3 years in May or keep it for another year which will be closer to mid model refresh.....

I think Dealers set their own pricing so shop around for best deal..you are NOT tied to the place your purchased the car from.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 11:49 AM   #7
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
I think Dealers set their own pricing so shop around for best deal..you are NOT tied to the place your purchased the car from.
No, service pack pricing is set by BMW.

Dealers have been known to chuck it in for free etc., as part of sales incentive deals, but I don't believe that can charge differently to what is quoted by BMW.
      01-07-2017, 11:52 AM   #8
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Yes valid point
I cover around 14k miles pa so probably worth it
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 10:57 AM   #9
WillieMaykit
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Discount

Off Topic - What level of discount is achievable on a X5 at the moment?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 02:53 PM   #10
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieMaykit View Post
Off Topic - What level of discount is achievable on a X5 at the moment?
In the UK around 15%.
I went onto the Coast to Coast website and my total came to 17% discount.
Just add your spec and then you will get an approximate price for the car.
A local dealership will call you and then negotiate further.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2017, 03:08 PM   #11
WillieMaykit
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Thanks X5M50D
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 04:37 PM   #12
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
In the UK around 15%.
That's only for the M50d though.

You won't get anything like as much as that on any of the other X5 models, you'll be doing very well to get as much as 9-10% on other X5 models and the OP wasn't specific about which model X5 they were interested in...???
      01-11-2017, 02:43 AM   #13
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That's only for the M50d though.

You won't get anything like as much as that on any of the other X5 models, you'll be doing very well to get as much as 9-10% on other X5 models and the OP wasn't specific about which model X5 they were interested in...???
Fair point!
Also forgot to say that this was based on a PCP agreement where you get a further £2500 off as a BMW contribution.
Appreciate 0