BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-18-2017, 03:22 PM   #23
tatetrain
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 E39 530i

Thanks ajob...awesome advice. And others.

I swung by the dealer and talked to a couple folks. For clarity this is not a pock mark or door ding or gouge or chip but a protrusion above the ordinary finish. The car was not repainted or repaired by a human or crashed or reworked. It came from the factory like this.

I am increasingly thinking I will live with this blemish. Kind of like the Hopi Indians here in the US that intentionally added an imperfection in all their woven rugs...as only God was perfect.

However, I am still going to talk to a professional paint shop to get their opinion, but may not be worth the risk of breaking the paint layer.

Anyway I will continue to obsess about this and other things as I know you all will. Thanks for the comments guidance and feedback. See you on the road.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 05:16 PM   #24
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajob View Post
Maybe it's a cultural difference, but in Southern Europe beautiful ladies used to stick a silken "grain de beauté" on their faces - the idea was that absolute perfection is soulless and not human.

Enjoy "your" special car with this almost invisible imperfection known only to you, that makes it different in a world of increasingly "perfect copies", robot built without any personality.

And when it gets lightly nicked and dinged, its again "your car", proudly accompanying you in your life adventures, protecting you at its cost.

Drive it hard but respectfully and take great care of its mechanical health - our magnificent cars want to be driven rather than manicured.
and the award goes to... AJOB.

/THREAD.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 06:32 PM   #25
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

instead of repair, I would go for a credit or a reimbursement of the total cost of repair and leave it alone. it is a small speck and repainting and fixing it would be a laborious task to get it perfect
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 06:51 PM   #26
HZX540e
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatetrain View Post
Thanks ajob...awesome advice. And others.

I swung by the dealer and talked to a couple folks. For clarity this is not a pock mark or door ding or gouge or chip but a protrusion above the ordinary finish. The car was not repainted or repaired by a human or crashed or reworked. It came from the factory like this.
And why would the dealer tell you the truth? No disrespect to dealers here but they will do anything to save money. That does not change what you would do anyhow. See what the body shop will say, it may be a simple clay bar fix. I would not get it painted either.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 07:21 PM   #27
tatetrain
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 E39 530i

I would agree with sales dept. I am a fairly good judge of character and spent some time with them sooooo feel good with what they were saying and recommending. Plus I was upfront about why I was there and what I expected and didn't expect. I do not think all dealers are a-holes. Sales dept is another story in my memory be and the differing goals. Bottom line is the service dept needs to provide good service or it will be in trouble. Prices and rates are a different discussion...no doubt they are high. And to be clear I did use an independent mechanic for yearrrrrrs on my prior BMW. I'm also not a complete car idiot. This may create some discussion....my reply is not meant to flame or bait. Just my experience and opinion...others may have a different perspective. More information is better always.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 08:44 AM   #28
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by HZX540e View Post
And why would the dealer tell you the truth?
If they put a meter on it they're not lying.
They're showing him it was not re-painted.
I really think this is much ado about nothing.
This is not the last imperfection the vehicle will incur.
Appreciate 0