BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-06-2017, 02:46 PM   #1
nrkhan
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10

Question Advice on buying a buying a pre-owned X5 50i

New to this forum so forgive me if I'm not posting in the right place but I'm in need of some advice.

I'm in the market for a pre-owned X5 50i M Sport (upgrading from my 2013 F30 M Sport) due to the imminent arrival of our first child. I had a few questions and hoping this forum can help.

- Would you consider buying a non-CPO X5 with 39k miles? Manufacturing Warranty runs out January 2018.
- Is a CPO vehicle worth the premium? or would you just buy non-CPO and then pay for an extended warranty from BMW or 3rd party?
- Any 3rd party warranties that members of this forum recommend?
- Any known issues on MY 2014 or 2015 that I should be aware of?
- Is it true that MY2015 and newer the service contracts are not transferable? Does that mean MY2014 still is?

Sorry if any of the above are dumb questions or if they were answered elsewhere.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 06:48 PM   #2
Winn
Private
Rep
Drives: '20 M550i '17 i3

Garage List
2023 M550i  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2020 BMW M550i  [0.00]
I purchased a 2015 CPO X5 50i last May with 8k miles. Based on that, here's my thoughts:

1) Given that mileage, I'd make sure you'd get at least a good 3rd party warranty.
2) The best thing about a CPO, in my opinion, is there's no hassle with what's covered or not and no fights between BMW and the 3rd party...assuming you get maintenance at the dealer. I've had issues getting BMW's labor rate covered from the third party warranty on my wife's 2011 335is convertible.
3) The 3rd party warranty on my IS is through Preferred Warranties INC. I wouldn't go with them again because of the labor rate issues.
4) I haven't had any issues, but other members have reported burning oil. From everything I've read about the N63TU, you need to drive it hard. I'll continue to do so until something breaks, lol.
5) That is correct, a change for that model year I believe. I paid $700 to transfer the service contract...not sure it'd be worth it for you given the mileage.
2011 335is E93 *Retired*
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 09:06 PM   #3
WJMSprtXDrive
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-Sport

Garage List
Congratulations on the new baby!!
I like Winn above recently purchased a F15 X5. Based on my experience the best option is to purchase one still under Original Warranty and then get a BMW Platinum Extended Service Contract(ESC).

This thread has some helpful dialogue about BMW's Warranty.
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1359612
2011 E90 335i xDrive 6AT Performance Edition Package, M-Sport, TTFS Tune, VRSF 3.5" Catted DP, Active Autowerke CP, Turner Motorsport Strut Tower Brace, Hawk HP+, Bilstein B6, Alpina B3 TCU Flash, K&N ----
2014 F15 X5 xDrive50i M-Sport, RSE, 3rd Row
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 09:09 PM   #4
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrkhan View Post
- Any 3rd party warranties that members of this forum recommend?
Friend of mine sells warranties. If you are interested I can put you two in contact with each other.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 09:28 PM   #5
nrkhan
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10

Thanks everyone.

Iconoclast - Please do!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 10:16 AM   #6
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

Honestly, the X5 50 might not be my first choice to buy used unless you get one with low mileage and can transfer the service contract for a reasonable cost.

The service contract alone would be a deal-breaker for me given the known battery issues with this engine and the recent changes to BMW's factory maintenance coverage program. The need to potentially replace the battery every year is fine when BMW is footing the bill but can be enough of a headache to sour you on the brand once you have to pay for it out of pocket.

The need for a traditional warranty is kind of a given since it's a modern BMW but the same statement would apply to most modern automobiles. That said, getting a car with low mileage means that you'll get at least the balance of the factory warranty with the potential for CPO coverage and the low mileage will also make it worth paying to extending the factory maintenance program.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 11:03 AM   #7
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
The battery issue is only an issue if you drive only short distance and you don't coast. This means if you see a red light, you're suppose to let off the gas and let compression braking slow you down a bit, or the guy in front of you is getting closer on the road you let off the gas instead of slamming the brakes when you're really slow.. Too many people hold the accelerator and then when it's time to slow down they're still on the gas. This is both fuel inefficient and in terms of BMW it doesn't charge the battery properly. Of course the stop-start functionality doesn't help either.

Anyways the easy way to remedy the battery charging issue is to get a battery tender. I drive a lot of long distances and my battery has never been a problem, but I still use a tender once in a few weeks to ensure the battery is fully topped up. Granted at this point I'm still in the maintenance period, but I don't think I'll be needing to replace the battery every other service after the free maintenance is over.

As for mileage, I know folks that have purchased low mileage cars that are rarely driven and when they finally drive it all the problems come out. So of course in the latter situation the extended warranty was nice to have. But counting on that is not always given.
Flying Ace4982.50
      03-07-2017, 01:22 PM   #8
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

If you can find the right X5, and it's CPO, then that's a no-brainer. If you have your heart set on a certain X5 and it happens to *not* be CPO, then make sure it's priced appropriately, and purchase yourself a BMW Gold warranty, which covers the same items. Just do it before your factory warranty runs out.

Good luck, and congrats on the little one! When my son was on his way, I also bought myself an X5!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 01:41 PM   #9
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
The battery issue is only an issue if you drive only short distance and you don't coast. This means if you see a red light, you're suppose to let off the gas and let compression braking slow you down a bit, or the guy in front of you is getting closer on the road you let off the gas instead of slamming the brakes when you're really slow.. Too many people hold the accelerator and then when it's time to slow down they're still on the gas. This is both fuel inefficient and in terms of BMW it doesn't charge the battery properly. Of course the stop-start functionality doesn't help either.

Anyways the easy way to remedy the battery charging issue is to get a battery tender. I drive a lot of long distances and my battery has never been a problem, but I still use a tender once in a few weeks to ensure the battery is fully topped up. Granted at this point I'm still in the maintenance period, but I don't think I'll be needing to replace the battery every other service after the free maintenance is over.

As for mileage, I know folks that have purchased low mileage cars that are rarely driven and when they finally drive it all the problems come out. So of course in the latter situation the extended warranty was nice to have. But counting on that is not always given.
word word....

I actually put a tender on my X5 once a week. But it's driven very short distances M-F.

The decoupling of the alternator (advertised as parts of "efficient dynamics") sounds like a great concept until you realize for many people's driving habits of hitting the brakes hard, it doesn't really allow the car to charge as frequently as it should like in most standard automobiles. So if you drive that way (constant acceleration and braking), the only time the car can charge the battery is idling at a light.

Best way is to monitor the efficient dynamics bar on the gauge, it's really teaching people to drive efficiently too while showing you when your $500 battery is charging.

BTW, batteries are NOT covered under any warranties, so you have a financial incentive to have the car charge the battery properly. (CPO or 4/50)
      03-07-2017, 02:52 PM   #10
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
word word....

BTW, batteries are NOT covered under any warranties, so you have a financial incentive to have the car charge the battery properly. (CPO or 4/50)
Batteries for this engine are covered under the factory maintenance coverage in the US because BMW added battery replacements to the standard maintenance schedule to avoid their shoddy engine design pissing off their well-heeled customers too much.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 03:56 PM   #11
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_j View Post
Batteries for this engine are covered under the factory maintenance coverage in the US because BMW added battery replacements to the standard maintenance schedule to avoid their shoddy engine design pissing off their well-heeled customers too much.
you mean the N63 customer care package?

Thought it only applied to last generation and early F-series cars up to 2013-14

Models affected by the recall included:

F01 and F02 (7 Series Sedan)– produced from 3/2009 to 6/2012
F04 (Active Hybrid 7)– produced from 4/2010 to 6/2012
F07 (Gran Turismo)– produced from 9/2009 to 6/2012
F10 (5 Series Sedan)– produced from 3/2010 to 7/2013
F12 (6 Series Convertible)– produced from 3/2011 to 7/2012
F13 (6 Series Coupe)– produced from 7/2011 to 7/2012
E70 (X5)– produced from 3/2010 to 6/2013
E71 (X6)– produced from 7/2008 to 6/2014
E72 (ActiveHybrid X6)– produced from 9/2009 to 9/2011

edit: nevermind, you must mean the original 4/50. Regardless, batteries are not covered under CPO...which was the point of the posts made above.