BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-16-2016, 03:04 PM   #1
Phantom38
Rep
Drives: X5

Thule bars on an X5

I have just got some new Thule bars for the X5 to put some bikes on, and have set the bars slightly back (as per the instructions for reducing wind noise).

They look a little far back - has anyone else fitted Thule bars, and found the ideal position on the roof?

Thanks

Martyn

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 03:30 PM   #2
Nonopr01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

That is where I have them with no noise at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 12:41 AM   #3
Phantom38
Rep
Drives: X5

Thats great thanks, about the same position, or a fraction forward. - Will leave them there and fix on the bike racks, and see how I get on.

Martyn
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 08:08 PM   #4
Rigby
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Thule Aero Bars, Cargo, and Bike Rack

Just took delivery of my new X5 35d with M-Sport package. I opted for the Thule Aero profile bars, and then chose the style that ends at the mount (rather than running through, which gives you an extra few inches on either side but looks terrible. Thankfully, these bars are also available in black instead of onlye clear anodized, so they look great.

Then I went with the Thule Flow cargo box. It's low profile, all black, and wraps around the Aero bars nicely. I was also told that this model is German-manufactured and is the quietest one in their line when empty.

The Thule dealer didn't think it would work, but I was able to offset the cargo box and still fit a bike rack, but it did work! Thule ThruRide 535, mounted in reverse, fits beautifully and holds the Cervelo P2 flawlessly. Perhaps not all bikes would fit - fork clearance might be an issue - but mine does, and I've driven 500km with it on three separate trips. The fork mount also locks the bike to the rack.

The fork mount, trunk, and rack itself all share a common key thanks to my Thule dealer.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
pokerface429.50
      08-31-2016, 12:31 PM   #5
thaddh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Nice looking x5! Black on black looks great.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 03:03 PM   #6
MarineOh3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 / 2016 F15

I have mine slightly forward of where you have your's. I wouldn't say silent, but very quiet.
Attached Images

09-04-2016, 04:10 PM   #7
Lee
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 50i/'01 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineOh3 View Post
I have mine slightly forward of where you have your's. I wouldn't say silent, but very quiet.
Where did you get yours?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 02:37 AM   #8
MarineOh3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 / 2016 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineOh3 View Post
Where did you get yours?
I'm in Germany and found a Thule dealer. The guy has a little hardware store with a Thule sign hanging in the window. I went in and asked about Thule and he got this big smile - he locked up his hardware store and walked next door and showed me his Thule showroom. The guy has everything you could ever want or need... All different bar types, every roof box, bike carriers... Everything. And unless you go in and ask him, you would never know. Was kind of funny. I have no idea what the aero bars go for in the US but I paid right around $250 for everything, the bars, feet and adapters. I thought it was a good deal. He even had the adapters to make my BMW roof box fit the Thule t-bolt slides/attachments.
Lee63.50
      09-07-2016, 03:12 AM   #9
MaNFiU
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 & BMW i3s

Are those the Thule Wingbar 962 bars?
Can you post a picture showing how much the bars "hang" past the mounts?

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom38 View Post
I have just got some new Thule bars for the X5 to put some bikes on, and have set the bars slightly back (as per the instructions for reducing wind noise).

They look a little far back - has anyone else fitted Thule bars, and found the ideal position on the roof?

Thanks

Martyn

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 03:27 PM   #10
Rigby
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Thule

MaNFiU, mine are Thule AeroBlade Edge 7603B (the "B" denoting the Black color)

As you can see in my photo, I went with the 'captive' ends instead of the extended ends like our friend above. The dealer told me I'd gain a few inches on each end with that style, but I wanted the clean look. Especially since I was able to fit the bike at the same time as the trunk.

As a bonus, they claim "the strongest carrying capacity of any aftermarket rack" which, seeing it installed, I can believe.

https://www.thule.com/en-us/ca/roof-...-7603b-_-7603b
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 04:53 PM   #11
kered
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 2.5D X-Drive M-Sport

I like those "AeroBlade Edge" bars Rigby, much nicer looking than the wing bars. Might just have to look into picking up a set. Was there a particular length bar you got to suit the X5 ? As just having a quick look at the link you posted they seem to offer them in S, M, L & XL sizes ?

Oh & by the way I must say I really dig those black wheels

Last edited by kered; 09-14-2016 at 05:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 09:15 PM   #12
ddm44
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 X35D - Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby
Just took delivery of my new X5 35d with M-Sport package. I opted for the Thule Aero profile bars, and then chose the style that ends at the mount (rather than running through, which gives you an extra few inches on either side but looks terrible. Thankfully, these bars are also available in black instead of onlye clear anodized, so they look great.

Then I went with the Thule Flow cargo box. It's low profile, all black, and wraps around the Aero bars nicely. I was also told that this model is German-manufactured and is the quietest one in their line when empty.

The Thule dealer didn't think it would work, but I was able to offset the cargo box and still fit a bike rack, but it did work! Thule ThruRide 535, mounted in reverse, fits beautifully and holds the Cervelo P2 flawlessly. Perhaps not all bikes would fit - fork clearance might be an issue - but mine does, and I've driven 500km with it on three separate trips. The fork mount also locks the bike to the rack.

The fork mount, trunk, and rack itself all share a common key thanks to my Thule dealer.
Hey Rigby, looking to get the same set. Curious to know what's the total height of your ride with the box on? Thanks!
      03-27-2017, 04:29 PM   #13
Jenya B
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: Z4 , X5 F15d Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby View Post

Nice , is it on HWY7 and Weston ???
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 02:54 PM   #14
Rigby
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kered View Post
I like those "AeroBlade Edge" bars Rigby, much nicer looking than the wing bars. Might just have to look into picking up a set. Was there a particular length bar you got to suit the X5 ? As just having a quick look at the link you posted they seem to offer them in S, M, L & XL sizes ?

Oh & by the way I must say I really dig those black wheels
So sorry I never saw this. Hope you got sorted.

Recently replaces the X5 with a new X3 M40i and was very pleased that the bar/mount combo has so much built-in adjustment that the Thule was able to adjust to fit the X3 with no cutting or parts replacement whatsoever!
Appreciate 0