United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

A few more pics.

03-27-2017, 05:45 PM   #24
IG0753
Rep
Drives: 330d M-Sport (E93)

Brilliant colour! Sure it looks even better in the flesh. Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 02:27 AM   #25
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X7 M50d

Keep them coming GeeRam beautiful photos.
How's the last few days been - done many miles yet?
      03-28-2017, 03:09 AM   #26
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M50D View Post
How's the last few days been - done many miles yet?
Done about 200 or so now.

Been a bit frustrating over the weekend trying to work out everything. My 135 was a 2011, and BMW have changed a lot of stuff that I was expecting to be the same.
Buttons on steering wheel are all in different places or different functions and I keep pressing the wrong one by instinct.
Phone interface is different, Nav/audio/IDrive is all different
And BMW don't supply a manual for the Nav/Audio/IDrive either, so you have to work it all out for yourself or find a 12 year old to help you

I even managed to lock myself in the back of it as I forgot all about the kiddie locks, which were default set to on at build, so got in the back to take that dash photo and couldn't get out again......

After coming from a 1 Series, its going to take a while to get used to the size of it - especially around our tight urban streets and in car parks!

I'm finding the footrest a bit low (had same problem in the 135i after I bought it) so will have to buy the BMW ally pedal set, and get a rubber/plastic sandwich spacer machined up to raise the rest up, otherwise my back will start to hurt badly within a few weeks.

SE steering wheel is a little on the thin side, and not real leather, so may have to splash out on buying the thicker rim ///M Sport one and have it fitted...as I'm too used to that from the 135i.

The DHP is fantastic though, can't believe a car of this height/weight can corner with almost zero body roll...
      03-28-2017, 04:53 AM   #27
sak83
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 M50D on order

My first week was quite similar getting familiar with the controls, settings and size of the vehicle. Tbh its all pretty intuitive and with just over a 1000 miles I've settled in nicely. There is a electronic handbook on the idrive although i havent used that yet. One thing I'm not sure on is the adaptive headlights. They seem to work when on the switch is on auto but then there is a separate button on the left stalk too
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 05:23 AM   #28
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

Really nice, especially the interior. When I went from X5 (2011) to X6 (2015) it was the steering that was by far the biggest difference - much lighter. Now it is fine and much preferred.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 06:11 AM   #29
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sak83 View Post
One thing I'm not sure on is the adaptive headlights. They seem to work when on the switch is on auto but then there is a separate button on the left stalk too
Yep, if you want the full functionality of the lights then just leave the switch set at auto all the time. Set and forget.

In 6 years of owning my 135i, the only time my light switch got moved from auto position was when it was in the workshop/MOT bay etc.
      03-28-2017, 06:17 AM   #30
sak83
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

So what does the A button do on the left stalk as a little icon comes up on the dash when you press it. This only works at night with the headlight switch on auto
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 09:02 AM   #31
markrw68
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F15 X5 M50d

Quote:
So what does the A button do on the left stalk as a little icon comes up on the dash when you press it. This only works at night with the headlight switch on auto
That is the Hi-Beam Assist button. You need to press it to activate as it doesn't stay on automatically you start the engine. I believe it used to be possible to code it to stay on but no longer.....
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 03:52 AM   #32
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Nice colour, and works perfectly fine with the size of the X5, if you don’t mind me asking what was the cost for this colour option.
Ours is delivered this week we settled for Carbon black, and wanted to go for a different blue but told by our dealer no Individual options apart from the selection in the brochure under Individual.
Looks like you got the Individual option we aimed at the proper one.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 06:35 AM   #33
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
Nice colour, and works perfectly fine with the size of the X5, if you don’t mind me asking what was the cost for this colour option.
Looks like you got the Individual option we aimed at the proper one.
Atlas Cedar is a standard available colour on the SE at zero extra cost, its not an Individual paint option.
      03-29-2017, 10:25 AM   #34
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Thanks, not with the M sport selection hence got carried away with Individual in your door seals, good luck with your car nice to see a color out of the usual ones. our car with M sport trim, we tried our best to to order the Estoril Blue via Individual but with no luck, shocking the Individual option was not on for the X5, specially when this color is an normal option with Series one and others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
Atlas Cedar is a standard available colour on the SE at zero extra cost, its not an Individual paint option.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 07:56 PM   #35
sak83
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I spotted your car earlier today in Greenford, the colour combination really stand out. The car looks lovely
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 07:07 AM   #36
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Gone a little quiet with our UK members on this forum?
Expect everyone is enjoying the summer weather in their X5s
      06-12-2017, 07:37 AM   #37
kenniff
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i 22 model Arctic grey

Quote:
Expect everyone is enjoying the summer weather in their X5s
I've washed mine twice since I got it (22nd May). That equals the amount of times I washed my old one (in 3.5 years).

I'm sure the novelty will wear off but part of the reason for the difference is that the carbon black shows the dirt so badly, whereas the space grey didn't.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 03:53 AM   #38
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I spotted your car earlier today in Greenford, the colour combination really stand out. The car looks lovely

07-04-2017, 03:57 AM   #39
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Have noticed the same

Not that I've been on here lately either, as you say, other things to do in the summer time.

Clocked over the 4k miles mark in mine on way to work this morning.
      07-04-2017, 07:23 AM   #40
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
Have noticed the same

Not that I've been on here lately either, as you say, other things to do in the summer time.

Clocked over the 4k miles mark in mine on way to work this morning.
Hi GeeRam,
Nice to hear from you as I think the last post you made you were unhappy with your new X5. Have things improved over the last 3 months?
I'm on 3500 miles and enjoying the ride. Few niggles especially not having the keyless entry frustrates me but all in all really happy.
Averaging between 30 and 35 mpg on my daily 25 mile commute which is a lot better than I thought.
Would be good to hear from the other UK members, especially those who collected their cars around the same time as ours (March 17) and see how they are liking their SUV
      07-04-2017, 09:31 AM   #41
kenniff
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i 22 model Arctic grey

Quote:
Hi GeeRam,
Nice to hear from you as I think the last post you made you were unhappy with your new X5. Have things improved over the last 3 months?
I'm on 3500 miles and enjoying the ride. Few niggles especially not having the keyless entry frustrates me but all in all really happy.
Averaging between 30 and 35 mpg on my daily 25 mile commute which is a lot better than I thought.
Would be good to hear from the other UK members, especially those who collected their cars around the same time as ours (March 17) and see how they are liking their SUV
6 weeks in for me - I'm v happy with the extra zip, even if I always seem to follow up touching the accelerator by jumping on the brake! My only niggle was that when selecting reverse it defaults to the rear cam instead of the "birds eye" view. On my old F15 you could switch to birdseye and it would remember it for next time.

Not sure I've got the hang of the traffic jam assist - nor that i really follow the difference between it and just using the ACC. How is TJA supposed to help you steer when it insists you keep a hand on the wheel anyway? Also, is it right that in a traffic jam when using TJA or ACC if you come to a full stop it wont move off again unless you touch the accelerator?

Finally I think I may have a slow puncture - got the tyre pressure warning thing (right rear just below the required threshold). Topped them all up and 2 days later same thing. Only 2000 miles on the clock!
Appreciate 0