BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-10-2017, 10:42 AM   #1
piyush128k
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 F15 50i msport

Smile 2015 X5 50i Performance upgrade queries.

Hi Team,

I am looking for suggestions from you all for performance upgrade of my X5 V8.
What all can i do to upgrade and from where?
I really don't want to just go and do anything and repent later.

If i should not upgrade then what would your reasons be. OR what are the DOs and Don'ts

Look forward to recommendations.
Regards
piyush128k
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 12:01 PM   #2
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

If anything, upgrade the suspension. The engine is already powerful enough that the chassis can't keep up in stock form.
Appreciate 1
ajob456.00
      01-10-2017, 12:17 PM   #3
piyush128k
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thank you for the response but this is not X5M but X5 50i.

So do you still say the same for X5 50i ,"The engine is already powerful enough that the chassis can't keep up in stock form?".

Suspension upgrade i never thought of but i like that suggestion.

Anyone else for any more suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 02:32 PM   #4
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep

My answer was for the 50i. The car can go from zero to sixty right around the mid-4 seconds but drives like a fluffy mattress on the stock suspension/steering.

More power isn't the answer. Suspension and tires are probably good places to start.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 02:45 PM   #5
piyush128k
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Smile Make sense and you are right about the Mattress part.

What i have is 19 inch AW tyres and the regular suspensions though i guess with a little modification to suspensions due to 3 row seats. By suspensions do you mean the dynamic handling package? Thge dealer at the time of purchase told me unless your are on the racing track you dont need that package however the suspensions are already goo in the X5 50i. Do you think he was right if the dynamic package suggestion?

The offer for tyres during purchase was 21 inches but i see people upgrade to 22 inches with M brakes. Is the logical cause i believe what the factory suggests on the size of tyes is probably what suits the SAV best?

Also i have noticed that older models say 4.4i and mine says 50i does it mean the X5 v8 (non M model) is with more enhanced engine capacity or is still 4.4i.

sorry for so many questions.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 03:25 PM   #6
piyush128k
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Smile Just read and saw the chart for suspension forum. Mine is already M Sport

I went thru the forum: BMW F15 X5 Suspension Options Chart and Comparison to Competitors

My X5 50i is with 19 inch tyres
3 row means better rear suspensions
It is also MSport package
Executive package
Adaptive LED

So based on the information from that forum : "BMW F15 X5 Suspension Options Chart and Comparison to Competitors" Can both suspensions be upgraded or having msport is the limit?

Where can i get suspensions upgraded, BMW dealer or anyother place?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 03:26 PM   #7
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

There are tons of list that you can do.
All depending on what is your budget.
I may disagree with double_j statement.
True that the 50i have a lot of power, but nothing can't go wrong with more power. Otherwise BMW will not make the X5M, just stop at the 50i.
And even the X5M guys still putting more power into the car.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 03:38 PM   #8
piyush128k
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Smile Thank you for your response. True on the HP part.

Budget is not an issue but i will go slow or one by one. Enhancing the performance for me means:

Engine tuning : Dinan says it cannot use the X5M chip on X5 50i as it will kill the engine and suggested me to go for the chip meant for X5 50i?

Tyres: I will get M brakes but not sure if 21 incch tyres as BMW suggests or we can do 22inches?

Exhaust: This is exciting. Which upgrade: Meisterschaft or M exhaust for X5?

now suspensions: I think since i have 3rd row my rear suspensions are good..maybe?
Also since mine is also M sport, i have DDC+ 1 aixle air suspension. So does this mean i still need ARS, DPC and DDC for best suspensions?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 03:56 PM   #9
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush128k View Post
Budget is not an issue but i will go slow or one by one. Enhancing the performance for me means:

Engine tuning : Dinan says it cannot use the X5M chip on X5 50i as it will kill the engine and suggested me to go for the chip meant for X5 50i?

Tyres: I will get M brakes but not sure if 21 incch tyres as BMW suggests or we can do 22inches?

Exhaust: This is exciting. Which upgrade: Meisterschaft or M exhaust for X5?

now suspensions: I think since i have 3rd row my rear suspensions are good..maybe?
Also since mine is also M sport, i have DDC+ 1 aixle air suspension. So does this mean i still need ARS, DPC and DDC for best suspensions?
Engine tuning: Correct. I do carry RaceChip for the 50i.

Tyres: With M Brakes, you need a minimum of 20" wheels. Of course going bigger means more clearance to it.

Exhaust: Unless you have time to kill and you prefer it, Meisterschaft would be the option. Just keep in mind that will transform your car from Luxury SUV with class into something else.
In this department, I do suggest AC Schnitzer. It add more class to the car with the deep tone exhaust sound. Quad tip option is now available in chrome or black.

Suspension: Since you have 3rd row, then it is 100% self-leveling suspension.
The best suspension upgrade will be KW Variant 3 coilover. But, with this, you will lose the Dynamic Dampening feature. Also, the rebound adjustment will be hidden once they are installed.
I do suggest, AC Schnitzer spring. It will give you about 1" drop and maintaining all of the options that you have paid for.
Don't get me wrong with this statement, I personally will throw in KW V3, since I know and can take apart my car just to change the adjustment. I can care less about the Dynamic Dampening feature.
But, for your sake, either your installer is a wiz and get the setting right off the installation, you will be going back and forth with him just to get it the way you want it.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 04:12 PM   #10
piyush128k
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Smile WOW so many option but i guess air intake i can also consider

i like it when you say," Just keep in mind that will transform your car from Luxury SUV with class into something else"
That else is what i want to see.
I have not been able to see any customized X5 50i or even hear a X5M.
I would not know the difference in the three exhaustm that we spoke of unless i see what beast it will turn into with the exhaust system i mentioned.

Going thru the sites you shared.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 04:20 PM   #11
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

On top of the suspension upgrade, I'd add a piggyback tune to it. Not only does it add more power it helps with a crisper shifting and make your shift points more aggressive. And of course a mean sounding exhaust
      01-10-2017, 04:28 PM   #12
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5 CS

I agree w/above poster. I have a 2017 X5 50i w/DHP. It's still too much power for the suspension. If you want everything to work in unison, instead of wasting money on upgrades on the 50i, get a X5M, unless you need the 3rd row seating which was the case with me. In that case, you just have to live with it.

I also have a e92 M3 which has the opposite problem. Chassis is too good for stock power levels...need a stroker bad!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 04:37 PM   #13
piyush128k
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Smile To summarize

Engine tuning : dinan X5 50i chip and not X5M xhip? Go for piggyback tune if possible? Could not find what piggy back tune is?

Tyres: M brakes and 20 inch

Exhaust: Meisterschaft to make it a beast or AC Schnitzer for smooth sound but not MPE for X5?

Suspensions: AC Schnitzer spring
i still need ARS, DPC and DDC for best suspensions?

Upgrade Air intake:

I dont know if i need MPPK because i i have X5 50i M Sport. Does MMPK even apply to my SAV?

I dont think i would need any exterior modifications or upgrades as it is M Sport already.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 04:50 PM   #14
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Engine tuning : dinan X5 50i chip and not X5M xhip? Go for piggyback tune if possible? Could not find what piggy back tune is?
I'd go with Racechip or JB. Do a search tons of info on this here.

Go with the 22" wheels and ties. 20" are too small for our X5's especially with Msport line.
I still need to get my wheels

Exhaust: Meisterschaft to make it a beast or AC Schnitzer for smooth sound but not MPE for X5?

I would go with hamann based on what I've heard. I've posted this video like a 100 times already.

Upgrade Air intake:

I dont know if i need MPPK because i i have X5 50i M Sport. Does MMPK even apply to my SAV?

Mppk is not available for 50i. It's only for the 35i.

I dont think i would need any exterior modifications or upgrades as it is M Sport already.

You always need exterior mods. Stock Msport is nice but the Mperformance accessories just takes our Msport X5 to the next level.
      01-10-2017, 05:02 PM   #15
piyush128k
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

3rd row was and is important for me :-) malrash.

Kzang next level is what i want but will go slow as it will cost even though i am willing to spend.
Few times i have had M5 and M4 come right next to me and make me hear their exhaust and signal me to race but i shy away cause they are M machines and there is no point.

On the other hand i have had truckers do the same and in a few seconds i can only see them in my rear view mirror... lol.
I dont race much but i like my SAV to be packed up with its power. I like the feeling and maybe then i might hit the racing track some day for drag racing.

Last edited by piyush128k; 01-10-2017 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 05:14 PM   #16
piyush128k
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Some Pics of my SAV

Some Pics of my SAV
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 06:17 PM   #17
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Suspensions: AC Schnitzer spring
i still need ARS, DPC and DDC for best suspensions?

Upgrade Air intake:

Engine tuning: RaceChip Ultimate.

Exhaust: The Meisterschaft make the X5 sounds very aggressive and very throaty. I personally don't like it. It beats the styling of the X5.

Air Intake: You can use Dinan. The X5M one fits on the 50i.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 08:00 AM   #18
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
There are tons of list that you can do.
All depending on what is your budget.
I may disagree with double_j statement.
True that the 50i have a lot of power, but nothing can't go wrong with more power. Otherwise BMW will not make the X5M, just stop at the 50i.
And even the X5M guys still putting more power into the car.
Oh, I absolutely understand the allure of more power but this car more than any else for me really illustrates why upgrades have to be balanced between the different levers of performance.

X5M over 50i isn't just about power, I'm too lazy to look for specifics, but I highly doubt that the X5M uses the same suspension or other drive-relevant components as the base setup.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 10:37 AM   #19
piyush128k
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Smile Allure...Yes but like you said its how you balance it all. Thats why i am here.

Its a new 2015 model and i have put 15,000 miles and treat it very nicely.
Its fast. Have not added or so to the SAV till now and when i bought it i never thought i will ever need to do anything like this. Not that i am addicted to upgrades but wheels and exhaust were my primary concern.
I have the 19inch wheels but i think the 20 inch or 21 inch might have done justice to grip and firmness.
I would think my SAV being msport and having 3rd row i have the better suspensions but one if the guys above said get the suspensions upgraded. I will have to research more on that.
The exhaust is what i love to upgrade....love that M sound but dont want my SAV to sound like a truck. This would happen with Meisterschaft so somone above suggested to go for AC Schnitzer instead.
Yes the horse power upgrade sounds like a pastry to me and want to have that even though it is not going to make it any faster then M or AMG but i like that.
My focus is to go one by one and not all together as it cost too much.
Right now i am trying to understand more on the suspensions. Do i really need despite having the msport package and 3rd row seats cause i think suspensions get auto upgraded with these packages.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 11:24 AM   #20
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_j View Post
Oh, I absolutely understand the allure of more power but this car more than any else for me really illustrates why upgrades have to be balanced between the different levers of performance.

X5M over 50i isn't just about power, I'm too lazy to look for specifics, but I highly doubt that the X5M uses the same suspension or other drive-relevant components as the base setup.
Believe it or not, the X5M/X6M are using the same suspension geometry and setup. The only difference is the shock absorber valving.
While the transmission, it is not a DCT, just a high performance sport automatic.

Quote:
Its a new 2015 model and i have put 15,000 miles and treat it very nicely.
Its fast. Have not added or so to the SAV till now and when i bought it i never thought i will ever need to do anything like this. Not that i am addicted to upgrades but wheels and exhaust were my primary concern.
I have the 19inch wheels but i think the 20 inch or 21 inch might have done justice to grip and firmness.
I would think my SAV being msport and having 3rd row i have the better suspensions but one if the guys above said get the suspensions upgraded. I will have to research more on that.
The exhaust is what i love to upgrade....love that M sound but dont want my SAV to sound like a truck. This would happen with Meisterschaft so somone above suggested to go for AC Schnitzer instead.
Yes the horse power upgrade sounds like a pastry to me and want to have that even though it is not going to make it any faster then M or AMG but i like that.
My focus is to go one by one and not all together as it cost too much.
Right now i am trying to understand more on the suspensions. Do i really need despite having the msport package and 3rd row seats cause i think suspensions get auto upgraded with these packages.
1" drop will make a difference in handling due to lower center of gravity.
I am not sure if the European Spec are having a lower setup like before or not. But back in the days, most of the European cars in the US have higher stance than their brothers and sisters in Europe due to DOT requirement.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 11:51 AM   #21
chrisfc923
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 MBB X5MC

selling my jb4 for the 50i if interested! Its in the sale section (sorry for the plug)
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7262.50
      01-11-2017, 04:29 PM   #22
piyush128k
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Smile topaz330 fille me in with the details on your coupe!

topaz330 Whats the condition? How many miles? What year? Wheels condition? HP and Torque? Looks like coupe ? 0 to 60 & 100?
Appreciate 0