BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-13-2017, 09:48 AM   #1
XBimmer1
Rep
Drives: Porsche

Those with Exhaust mod

I have a strong desire to get either AC Schnitzer or Hamann exhaust. I'd like to hear from those with this mod to see if you had any experience or concerns about dealer voiding warranty due to aftermarket part. Mine is 2016 X5 50i with ~18,000 miles. My service department said aftermarket exhaust would void warranty!

I reached out to few experts (thanks friends!) in this forum, even though risk is low due Magnuson-Moss warranty Act would you do it/should I do it?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 10:00 AM   #2
Bigb348
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i

I have AC Schnitzer on my 16' 50i since 1500 miles
I am very happy with it and can't imagine having warranty issues.

I've had my car in twice over 13k miles for maintenance and no problems from service dept.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 10:01 AM   #3
puckybadger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i LCI TBII/Tartufo

I believe the warranty is voided only if a covered repair could be traced to an exhaust issue. Same as if you added an engine tuner.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 10:29 AM   #4
XBimmer1
Rep

Thanks guys. I do have a Racechip from RGSport love it!
Remove RC before it goes to service though, my concern is I can't remove exhaust once installed....
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 10:49 AM   #5
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBimmer1 View Post
My service department said aftermarket exhaust would void warranty!

I reached out to few experts (thanks friends!) in this forum, even though risk is low due Magnuson-Moss warranty Act would you do it/should I do it?
False and the MMWA reference is inaccurate and referenced incorrectly often.
The warranty on the exhaust system along with catalytic converters, o2 etc will be void because you modified the functionality of that system. The warranty on the rest of the vehicle should remain intact because nothing has changed. There is no reason to believe or think that installing a cat-back exhaust would void warranty on a suspension component or window switch or anything that is completely unrelated to the item that was replaced. Secondly, MMWA is only in regards to aftermarket parts that are identical to the factory part it replaced. For example. If you go and buy a Zimmerman rotor to replace a BMW rotor it will not void the warranty on the brake system because it is spec to the factory rotor. This was created to avoid MFG having a monopoly on parts and repair services strong-arming customers into them only using dealerships for service/repairs. That being said the warranty on the rotor is now from Zimmerman and not BMW. BMW will not do a warranty claim on an aftermarket part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBimmer1 View Post
Remove RC before it goes to service though, my concern is I can't remove exhaust once installed....
Data stored in the vehicle will show it was operating out of the factory specs even if you remove the tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 11:13 AM   #6
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

My last service I forgot to remove the Racechip tune and I had no issues from the service department. I plan to keep it on my X5 for the next service...

OP, you live once... enjoy it and don't worry about the warranty.
      01-13-2017, 01:19 PM   #7
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Unrelated but somewhat similar. Audi does something a bit more sneaky Kzang, not sure if BMW does as well however when you come in with a tune. It is noticed it is flagged in the system under "TD1" (there are other codes but TD1 is the top dawg) and associated with your VIN you are not aware of it (unless you request the printout from ELSA-Web or AccessAudi showing your vehicle history and status) down the road when you come in say ABC or XYZ occurred then they say "sorry, you're not covered because you have performance software installed on your vehicle". Almost every Audi I have owned has a TD1 flag on it before the temp registration was off the windshield, I never had an issue in-house at the dealership and AOA never denied anything however the remarks and flag was placed on the vehicle and it's history.

Appreciate 1
TallTrees148.00
      01-13-2017, 01:59 PM   #8
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

I was not aware of that, Thank you for pointing that out!
      01-13-2017, 02:37 PM   #9
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Again, not sure if BMW does it the same way but I would guess so.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 09:13 PM   #10
XBimmer1
Rep

Thanks icon for the info! At least thus far one visit to the dealer no issues
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      01-14-2017, 10:05 AM   #11
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

I am not sure if any of you guys read my writing on the Piggy Back tune, especially the passive piggy back (passive meant, it doesn't read any data off the CAN BUS), but here is the nutshell.

Unless you are full throttling all the time, BMW will not detect the piggy back tunes.
The only time the boost number will be recorded over the chart is when you are doing a max boost of default setting, plus "x" psi added by the piggy back tune.
So, if you are just punching it on red light to red light, most likely you will record max boost + "x" psi at a millisecond.
Also, the last time I heard, the log is only up to certain amount of hours of engine running time.

Again, not saying that your warranty will not be voided, but by law, they need proof that the mods is indeed the cause of the trouble.
Some dealer just trigger happy just so they can rob you some more.
And Audi is specially one. Expensive car with VW quality and Porsche's service / repair rates.
That's why a lot of mods company stop trying to partner up with Audi. Some tried and stop since the head office decided to void all of the warranty for the equipped car with the name partnered mods.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      01-14-2017, 01:04 PM   #12
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Again, not saying that your warranty will not be voided, but by law, they need proof that the mods is indeed the cause of the trouble.
i am not against modifying vehicles or upgrading parts but sadly the burden of proof is on the customer while in theory that is wrong in reality it is how it works. PUMA denies dealer, dealer denies customer. Customer then has to find an attorney and an engineer and a technician to state ABC part did not affect XYZ part and spend a great deal of time money and energy on something as trivial as this.

if a tune is found and or present they have the ability by law to void a warranty because you took a product of theirs and put unauthorized software on it. the liability is now shifted onto the tuner/tune provider unless stated before purchasing that it will void warranty or customer signs a waiver that they are responsible for all and any warranty violations by installing the product. this is why i believe that if you're going to "mod" go big or go home.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 09:14 PM   #13
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@iconoclast , agree with your statement.
Especially the last sentence.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      01-15-2017, 03:05 PM   #14
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Quote:
i am not against modifying vehicles or upgrading parts but sadly the burden of proof is on the customer while in theory that is wrong in reality it is how it works. PUMA denies dealer, dealer denies customer. Customer then has to find an attorney and an engineer and a technician to state ABC part did not affect XYZ part and spend a great deal of time money and energy on something as trivial as this.

if a tune is found and or present they have the ability by law to void a warranty because you took a product of theirs and put unauthorized software on it. the liability is now shifted onto the tuner/tune provider unless stated before purchasing that it will void warranty or customer signs a waiver that they are responsible for all and any warranty violations by installing the product. this is why i believe that if you're going to "mod" go big or go home.
I'm not sure they can wholesale void a warranty. As other's have remarked, BMW can (and will) deny claims where failure can we blamed on modification away from OE spec... but the presence of an aftermarket exhaust (cat back) is unlikely to cause denial of coverage. On the other hand, a piggy-back re: any drivetrain issue, would be cause for denial of coverage.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 10:17 PM   #15
Roundown
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'm not sure they can wholesale void a warranty. As other's have remarked, BMW can (and will) deny claims where failure can we blamed on modification away from OE spec... but the presence of an aftermarket exhaust (cat back) is unlikely to cause denial of coverage. On the other hand, a piggy-back re: any drivetrain issue, would be cause for denial of coverage.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 10:40 AM   #16
Roundown
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 12:08 PM   #17
ano0oj
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 AWD, '23 Macan S

Rest of your vehicle warranty will remain intact unless BMW can prove that there was a mechanical failure due to new exhaust system.
Let's say something goes wrong with your turbos...BMW would have to prove that your exhausts caused the turbos to go down - highly unlikely.

I think exhausts is the safest performance mod you can make without having to worry about warranty.
Appreciate 0