BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-12-2017, 12:48 AM   #1
JVphoto
Rep
Drives: 2017 X6 xdrive35i

10 Years Without a Car...Now in a 2017 X6

Just wanted to introduce myself as I've spent some time here with a few posts since I got my X6 in mid-December. Still gleaning here and there for more info and I am sure I will in the future. If on the odd chance I have anything to contribute to help others I'll gladly do so.

I had been living in New York the past 10 years so I didn't have the need for a car. Prior to that I had a 2004 CLK 500, 2001 Camaro SS and 1998 Chevy Silverado.

I had been kicking around the Jag F-Pace, MB GLE, Audi S5, X4 M40i & X6.

Details as ordered from factory:
-2017 X6 35xi
-Mineral White
-20" black 491s
-Cognac Dakota w/ black & fineline oak trim
-Standard options
-Driving Asst Plus Package
-Apple Car Play

Changes I made:
-Silver grill to matte black. I should have ordered it when I built the car online but I was unsure how the black was going to look based on the computer model rendering.
-Brushed silver mirror caps to carbon fiber
-Chrome X6 badge to black matte
-Removed side xDrive 35i badges
-Black decal stickers on blue in emblem on wheels, hood, trunk

After 3 months of driving things that I don't tire of:
-Overhead surround parking display
-Unique. Monterey Bay isn't a huge town but I have only seen 2 others on the road.
-Morning cold start exhaust (but see below).

Issues:
-Water after a rain seems to pool and splash down on the inside sides when you open the trunk.
-PARK is a button. Just had to get used to it. The first 2 weeks I stared for a good 2 seconds to make sure it was in park and I wasn't going to put it through the garage door.
-Car Play seems to have some issues with the phone or maybe vv. At least once a day it lags, freezes or I have to hold the Home button on my phone, unlock it and then it sort of re-synchs.

What next:
-When I bought the mirror and grill I also got the side air vents in black to replace the silver ones. While I did the grill/mirror myself I tried reading here and finding any tricks but it does seem I would have to take the wheels out to actually change then. As you can see here in the pic form 2 days ago I haven't done it yet. I am considering leaving it so that it's not totally a black and white car. I don't think it looks too bad now that I took the side badges off...plus it matches the window trim.
-I was considering shadowing/tinting the amber reflector above the wheels.
-Exhaust. This is the biggest issue I hem and haw on. My Camaro sounded awesome...but it was also a V8 6 speed that deserved the sound. This is just the 35 and not an M. I don't want to go crazy and have it sound two weight classes above what it can punch...but while it sounds "decent" now, I wonder if a slightly upgraded exhaust is going to be worth the $/time/effort for what may not be THAT much of a sound difference.
Appreciate 3
      03-12-2017, 11:32 AM   #2
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Congrats!

Seems the "official" mod for immediate performance needs is M Performance Power Pack for added power and M Performance Exhaust for better soundtrack.
      03-13-2017, 08:13 AM   #3
WJMSprtXDrive
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-Sport

Garage List
Great purchase!!! I see you are enjoying the X6!!
I agree with alphaod. The MPPK and PE is a great start. You should feel the difference in power and hear some burbles, cracks and pops from the exhaust while still under full warranty.
2011 E90 335i xDrive 6AT Performance Edition Package, M-Sport, TTFS Tune, VRSF 3.5" Catted DP, Active Autowerke CP, Turner Motorsport Strut Tower Brace, Hawk HP+, Bilstein B6, Alpina B3 TCU Flash, K&N ----
2014 F15 X5 xDrive50i M-Sport, RSE, 3rd Row
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 02:16 PM   #4
JVphoto
Rep
Drives: 2017 X6 xdrive35i

I was figuring that would be the best way to go with the MPE. I had listened and saw other 3rd party ones on YouTube but thought they may be too aggressive.
I pass the dealership almost every day so I think I'll stop in and talk to the guy who I ordered the car from.
I was driving behind an S5 today and thought it sounded great.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 02:45 PM   #5
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Nice choice to get back into driving yourself. Congrats and Enjoy!
Appreciate 0