11-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
flags
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2021 X5 45e

Garage List
Rear-seat entertainment Professional Questions

We are looking at adding the Rear-seat entertainment Professional option to the X5 we are planning to order. Can anyone provide details of how this works, specifically:
  • How to show two sources on the two screens. A DVD from the player in the back of the center console as one source, and what sources can the other screen play?
  • It says headphones are not included. Are there only 3.5mm jacks to use wired headphones or is there a way to use wireless?
  • If both screens are playing the same source, DVD move for example, with headphones, can front seat passengers use a different source such as radio or iPod?
  • It states a remote is included. What are the main functions the remote can control?
  • It states MP3 players/game consoles can be used. How does an iPod or game console hook up to the screen(s)? What is the connection type and where is it located? HDMI?
Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

I think I would rather buy each kid an iPad and then they can take them anywhere.
Appreciate 1
Sk8dad6.00
      11-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
RickP
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp/DCT

I can provide full review on 11/23 :-)

2011 Frozen Grey E92 M3
http://rpollak.com
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by flags View Post
We are looking at adding the Rear-seat entertainment Professional option to the X5 we are planning to order. Can anyone provide details of how this works, specifically:
  • How to show two sources on the two screens. A DVD from the player in the back of the center console as one source, and what sources can the other screen play?
  • It says headphones are not included. Are there only 3.5mm jacks to use wired headphones or is there a way to use wireless?
  • If both screens are playing the same source, DVD move for example, with headphones, can front seat passengers use a different source such as radio or iPod?
  • It states a remote is included. What are the main functions the remote can control?
  • It states MP3 players/game consoles can be used. How does an iPod or game console hook up to the screen(s)? What is the connection type and where is it located? HDMI?
Thanks in advance!
each screen has the idrive menu system - as the front display. you simply pick your source ... cd/dvd, music, a BT pairing. Aux ... Not sure if apps is supported in the rear though. There should be a rear dvd slot in the rear.

Yea, there are jacks to plugin headphones. You can use wireless headphones, but have to buy them separately.

I'm sure it uses a idrive controller in the rear - but perhaps the x5 uses a remote instead.

Since the rear has its own rear slot - then yes, you can use any other source in the front.

The external input is just analog, not hdmi ... so regular analog video in.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
flags
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
each screen has the idrive menu system - as the front display. you simply pick your source ... cd/dvd, music, a BT pairing. Aux ... Not sure if apps is supported in the rear though. There should be a rear dvd slot in the rear.

Yea, there are jacks to plugin headphones. You can use wireless headphones, but have to buy them separately.

I'm sure it uses a idrive controller in the rear - but perhaps the x5 uses a remote instead.

Since the rear has its own rear slot - then yes, you can use any other source in the front.

The external input is just analog, not hdmi ... so regular analog video in.
Thank you for the information!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 06:30 PM   #6
flags
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Following up on this... Anyone know what type of wireless headphones will work? Must be BMW specific? If so, does anyone have the part number and a good place to buy online?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 07:26 PM   #7
Artdnj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 X30i

+1 on the ipad/s when it comes to kids, say 6 and older. Rear entertainment is a godsend when it comes to infants and toddlers and long trips.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 07:04 PM   #8
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Anyone have any updates on the rear entertainment? My wife really wants rear entertainment on whatever vehicle we get and right now it appears it will be a X5 35d. How have you liked it and would you recommend it? Also, are there any other aftermarket options for the X5? We will be getting it with the multi-contour seats if that makes a difference.
2022 992 GTS| 7MT | Shark Blue
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 04:26 AM   #9
Sean_250
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: X5 30D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3 View Post
Anyone have any updates on the rear entertainment? My wife really wants rear entertainment on whatever vehicle we get and right now it appears it will be a X5 35d. How have you liked it and would you recommend it? Also, are there any other aftermarket options for the X5? We will be getting it with the multi-contour seats if that makes a difference.
I have RSE and TV and the dealer through in two sets of wireless headsets.

What I think is good:

Each screen can watch tv or dvd independently or together
Full iDrive functionality - i.e. navigation, music, vehicle details etc
Audio can be played via the cars speakers or headphones
Play video from USB - I can only get home movies to play - I think commercial videos in my iTunes folder have DRM
You can control content from the front iDrive or via the remote in the rear

Not so good

Can't play video from my iPod 4 (running iOS6) or iPhone 5S (iOS7)

Sure it's an expensive option but it does work well and look good.
If I were buying again I'd still choose it.
Let me know if there's specific you'd like to know.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 08:25 AM   #10
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_250 View Post
I have RSE and TV and the dealer through in two sets of wireless headsets.

What I think is good:

Each screen can watch tv or dvd independently or together
Full iDrive functionality - i.e. navigation, music, vehicle details etc
Audio can be played via the cars speakers or headphones
Play video from USB - I can only get home movies to play - I think commercial videos in my iTunes folder have DRM
You can control content from the front iDrive or via the remote in the rear

Not so good

Can't play video from my iPod 4 (running iOS6) or iPhone 5S (iOS7)

Sure it's an expensive option but it does work well and look good.
If I were buying again I'd still choose it.
Let me know if there's specific you'd like to know.
Is there a built in DVD/blu-ray player for the RSE?
2022 992 GTS| 7MT | Shark Blue
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 11:57 AM   #11
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
i also thought about it initially....after doing some investigation, I figured it brings more limitation than features given its relatively high price...I think you'd be right on the money if you purchase separate systems/products like tablets which can do more than just media/entertainment and spend the delta on something else...
Appreciate 1
Jenya B144.00
      05-02-2014, 12:43 PM   #12
Sean_250
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3 View Post
Is there a built in DVD/blu-ray player for the RSE?
Yes, built in DVD in the rear console - this can be played on one screen while usb from rear or tv from the front is playing on the other.

Last edited by Sean_250; 05-06-2015 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: correction
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 07:32 PM   #13
capitalst
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

I'm dealing with this issue right now. I just picked up my new X5 last Friday and found out that the rear entertainment system doesn't come with IR headphones. I decided to buy some IR headphones on amazon over the weekend. I just received them today and still can't get them to pick up any audio even though i changed the channels on the headphones and so on. Does the new 2015 system allow IR headphones and why isn't it working? I purchased Power Acoustik HP12S IR headphones which seem to be pretty universal.

Any thoughts on this?? Pretty sad for over $2k they can't even include IR headphones like my old QX80.
      05-06-2015, 12:32 AM   #14
variable229
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalst View Post
Does the new 2015 system allow IR headphones and why isn't it working? I purchased Power Acoustik HP12S IR headphones which seem to be pretty universal.

Any thoughts on this?? Pretty sad for over $2k they can't even include IR headphones like my old QX80.
It should be BMW part 65-12-2-160-483 for the IR headphones.

I don't think I would trust aftermarket headphones would work flawlessly with the OEM system.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 03:43 PM   #15
KMA
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 X6M,'07 M6Conv,'18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalst View Post
I'm dealing with this issue right now. I just picked up my new X5 last Friday and found out that the rear entertainment system doesn't come with IR headphones. I decided to buy some IR headphones on amazon over the weekend. I just received them today and still can't get them to pick up any audio even though i changed the channels on the headphones and so on. Does the new 2015 system allow IR headphones and why isn't it working? I purchased Power Acoustik HP12S IR headphones which seem to be pretty universal.

I have an F16 X6 that I just got with the rear seat entertainment. Had two previous E71 X6's with RSE which used the IR headphones. The F15/F16 definitely do not use IR headphones anymore (as I found out through keeping my old ones). I have yet to figure out if they are Bluetooth or something proprietary. In the US, they retail for $200 each... but can find for $140-$160 at dealer websites or ebay. There is a "pairing" menu in the backseat RSE menu (which you can also get to from the idrive menu) since you have to pair the left and right separately if each kid you have in the back will watch a different source. I can post a pic later if you want to see it. I'm a little reluctant to drop this kind of money on headphones when the corded variety will cost $5-10 a piece... but still mulling it over.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 03:49 PM   #16
KMA
Private
Rep

To semi-hijack this thread, I have been a little surprised on the highly limited 2nd AV source options on the RSE...

(In the US at anyway where there is no TV option)...

1.) Cannot seem to plug in any kind of old iPad or iPhone and have it play audio and video through the composite video in (i.e., it will play the video if I use an old iPhone 4 or IPad two that had the analog output converted to composite + stereo inputs but the audio cuts out completely).

2.) Also definitely cannot plug any old or new iphone/ipad into the USB only - it gives you audio only, no video.

3.) Cannot redirect front DVD player to 2nd screen in back

4.) Cannot load a movie onto USB and play in back I guess due to DRM protection... just doesn't work

So it seems like unless I want to build a whole little "system" back there with a bunch of various components I must buy separately, there is not really an easy way to get a second AV source using iPod/iPhone??

Anyone have this figured out? I feel like I'm just missing something silly.

Last edited by KMA; 05-06-2015 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 05:01 PM   #17
capitalst
Private
Rep

I think your right. I think they use bluetooth now since it requires a pairing process now. I wonder if any bluetooth headphones will work. I will give it a try.
      05-06-2015, 05:38 PM   #18
capitalst
Private
Rep

Verified it bluetooth headphones won't pair. Now I'm confused. What will work with our 2015 X5's????
      05-06-2015, 07:53 PM   #19
KMA
Private
Rep

Okay well I decided tonight while having to listen to strawberry shortcake and now hearing Bluetooth won't work going to spring for the headphones
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2015, 12:12 PM   #20
Sean_250
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMA View Post
To semi-hijack this thread, I have been a little surprised on the highly limited 2nd AV source options on the RSE...

4.) Cannot load a movie onto USB and play in back I guess due to DRM protection... just doesn't work

Anyone have this figured out? I feel like I'm just missing something silly.
If you have a mac, try these links for getting BluRay or DVD onto a USB
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 01:17 PM   #21
KMA
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_250 View Post
If you have a mac, try these links for getting BluRay or DVD onto a USB
Going to give this a shot! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 11:10 PM   #22
KMA
Private
Rep

Update: I have finally figured this out...

Objective: Since we have 2 old iPad 2's and a couple old iPhone 4's and an old Apple 30-pin to composite AV adapter, wanted to use iTunes purchased movies and Netflix in rear seat entertainment (RSE) as 2nd source that could be either played on 1 screen while a DVD played on other screen or fed to both screens, as needed.

Challenge/Problem: Video worked but no audio would play. This was very frustrating. Sometimes on the iPad 2, the audio would play through the iPad itself. iPhone 4, no audio on phone or through RSE.

Figured out the problem: The apple composite AV adapter also has a USB plug for power. If you plug it into the USB plug next to the composite AV inputs, it automatically disables the audio. While I considered this and had then tested moving to a power-only USB plug, audio did not work when I made the switch. Turns out that plugging into the one next to the AV jacks disables audio for good even if you switch jacks after (i.e., The only way to get the audio back is to swap around the audio selections--e.g., re-selecting them in the BMW menus... sort of like a reboot/cycle).

Anyway, so now this all seems a bit more logical and WORKS.

1 kid can watch a DVD

1 kid can watch an iTunes movie or Netflix show/movie

or both kids can watch the same of either one.

and there is some purpose for an old iPhone 4 other than sitting in a drawer!

P.S. Yes, this could all be done cheaper/eaiser with 2 iPads and no RSE, but now I have the iPhone 4 sitting in the center console, and there are no visible goodies like iPad's sitting in the car for would-be opportunist thieves to want to steal (Kids are young enough they aren't good at putting iPad's away every time we go somewhere, nor even necessarily wanting to gather them up and remember to bring them in the car).

P.P.S. Would I get the new RSE Professional again knowing how hard it is to use (i.e., can't really just hand the remote to the kids since they have to switch it from left to right control and navigate some german SAP-like menu hierarchies)? NO. But at least now it is usable having figured out the idiosyncrasies.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
cncmastr1568.50