BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-26-2024, 08:52 PM   #1
sammyj
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87

Hoping this helps other n00bs like me, but I wanted to share initial experiences after giving the g87 her first real bath. Track pack PPF and full ceramic (including wheels).

I went a bit off the deep end with products, but, I tried to balance it out. I’m also pretty lazy, so I wanted to optimize for quality to effort ratio (even if it increased my cost).

I started with a wheel cleaning - Meg’s ultimate wheel cleaner, with some soft wheel brushes from Adam’s and a mitt from The Rag Co (TRG). Then, hit it with some Gyeon Foam out of an iK sprayer, hosed down with a portable Ryobi power washer (electric is a problem and we are well invested into the Ryobi ecosystem).

Later that evening, I washed with ONR and a boatload of TRG Eagle 500 mfs, and dried with a TRG Gauntlet mf, along with some Griots Ceramic Speed Shine as a drying aid. Started by spraying the solution on with the iK. I found that it left my glass a bit hazy, so finished the glass with some Opti-clean. Also used a TRG “rip n rag” with the speed shine to touch up the wheels. Some thoughts:
  1. Wheels look incredible! Megs + soft brushes + speed shine is now my goto.
  2. The foam was a bit of a pain, I’m not sure that will be part of my normal routine. My car never really will get dirty enough, but who knows. Note, this may change if eventually I get a more powerful power washer and foam cannon.
  3. The ONR is nice stuff, and great to work with, but question: do you usually do a panel at a time, and then dry? Or wash the whole car and then dry the whole thing? I found myself not quick enough before the ONR started drying on me…
  4. Also, any thoughts on big red sponge vs a shitload of MFs? I hate having so much rag laundry…
  5. Griots Ceramic speed shine is fantastic stuff. I have to say, this is prob my fave product in the stack.
  6. The Ryobi is a bit weak but does the job and the convenience factor is hard to beat.

Here’s my kit so far:

Water
  • 2x 5G buckets (Adams) - one for wheel stuff, one for ONR
  • 2x gamma lids
  • 1x dirt lock grit guard
  • 1x wheeled dolly
  • Ryobi 300psi handheld power washer

Chemicals
  • Meguiars Ultimate Wheel Cleaner
  • Griots Ceramic Speed Shine
  • ONR
  • Opti-clean for all purpose stuff
  • Griots spray on car wash for in-betweens

Applicators and media
  • iK pump Foam Pro 2
  • TRG Eagle 500gsm (used a 4 pack) for washing
  • TRG Gauntlet for drying
  • TRG Cyclone Ultra wheel mitt
  • TRG rip n rag MFs - 30 pack (recommend, these have been useful)
  • Adams wheel woolie angled brushes (med, large)

The TRG stuff has been awesome, as have the Griots and Optimim products. Pretty much happy with all things so far. I’ll keep updated as I find new things!

What does your kit look like? Any must haves that I’m missing, or that specifically make life easier? Next I’m going to figure out a way to dry and store these MFs, and maybe a dedicated glass cleaner (although the opticlean did a good job!)
Attached Images

02-26-2024, 09:13 PM   #2
sammyj
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Forgot to mention, next up, I plan on doing some interior work, specifically Gyeon Quartz leather shield. Was also researching how best to protect the exhaust tips, which are already starting to see some spotting. Maybe a high temp ceramic coating?
      02-27-2024, 06:27 AM   #3
trackit
Private
Rep
Drives: Wagon

Darn dude! A lot of work but well worth it….My 528 is available for you to do next
Appreciate 1
sammyj254.00
      02-27-2024, 08:02 AM   #4
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Some random thoughts...

* Whatever product left a film on your glass has probably also left the same film on the rest of the car (unless it too was removed at a later step). Do you think you know what that was?
* I haven't tried it yet, it's winter, but this coming summer I'm planning to have a small bucket with some "rags to riches" in it that I'll toss the MF's into right away after use. I'm hoping that'll help pre-clean them some. Hmm I just noticed you were wondering about drying them so I guess never mind that. I've always just chucked them in the dryer and haven't noticed any issues, after a dozen times and counting they still feel soft. Maybe I'm lucky that the dryer isn't super hot.
* I don't have any Ryobi stuff but was considering a battery pressure washer. Is it worth it over a normal nozzle on a hose? I do have really good water pressure to start with so that could be a factor form one person to another.
* I've been on the fence about a foam sprayer as well. I'm skeptical how much pre-cleaning any foam will actually do, but do like the idea of soaping up the whole car fairly quickly. But yeah, drying could be a thing if you aren't fast enough. I may just stick with washing 1/4 to 1/3 of the car at a time and then rinsing before moving on. I have found a small shot of soap directly on the wash mitt makes it last a really long time and might be good enough.

Thanks for the write-up. Sweet car.
Appreciate 1
sammyj254.00
      02-28-2024, 10:24 PM   #5
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep
Drives: 550i

Your setup looks good!

Results look great!

Heres my simple setup

After winter wash:

Spray wheels with sonax wheel cleaner / let it dwell then power wash off
Presoak your DRY car with a good pre wash foam (Car pro Lift / Bilt Hamber Touchless)
Power wash that off
Chemical Decon (spray iron remover all over the car)
then follow with a contact wash (i use car pro reset) (i'll foam the car and then 2 bucket method)
then every few months (as needed) i'll hit it with car pro hydro2 foam and then rinse off gives 3/6m of protection.

for summer I foam with the car pro reset and then 2 bucket wash.

after all of that i typically use leaf blower to dry..

Hydro2 foam has been a game changer - foam on spray off (including wheels) helps prevent brake dust flying down the side of the car from sticking....

The car is dirty as hell right now due to all the rains, but I applied the Carpro hydro 2 in October and if you look at the top part of the vehicle its still beading very well!

Check out pan the organizers youtube channel, he does alot of product reviews etc...i've been really happy with the carpro stuff...its a little more expensive but it works really well!
Attached Images

Last edited by xxpanipuri; 02-28-2024 at 10:29 PM..
Appreciate 2
sammyj254.00
      02-28-2024, 10:31 PM   #6
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep

so the prewash will help break down all the grime from the traffic film on the lower half of the vehicle

you want a prewash with ahigher ph level so it has better cleaning ability

car pro reset is ph neutral
car pro lift is ph 12 or 13...when you foam the car dry with this, you can see the dirt pooling in the foam on the driveway, as it drips off..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 09:29 PM   #7
sammyj
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Some random thoughts...

* Whatever product left a film on your glass has probably also left the same film on the rest of the car (unless it too was removed at a later step). Do you think you know what that was?
* I haven't tried it yet, it's winter, but this coming summer I'm planning to have a small bucket with some "rags to riches" in it that I'll toss the MF's into right away after use. I'm hoping that'll help pre-clean them some. Hmm I just noticed you were wondering about drying them so I guess never mind that. I've always just chucked them in the dryer and haven't noticed any issues, after a dozen times and counting they still feel soft. Maybe I'm lucky that the dryer isn't super hot.
* I don't have any Ryobi stuff but was considering a battery pressure washer. Is it worth it over a normal nozzle on a hose? I do have really good water pressure to start with so that could be a factor form one person to another.
* I've been on the fence about a foam sprayer as well. I'm skeptical how much pre-cleaning any foam will actually do, but do like the idea of soaping up the whole car fairly quickly. But yeah, drying could be a thing if you aren't fast enough. I may just stick with washing 1/4 to 1/3 of the car at a time and then rinsing before moving on. I have found a small shot of soap directly on the wash mitt makes it last a really long time and might be good enough.

Thanks for the write-up. Sweet car.
Thanks! I really do like the Ryobi, it’s super portable and just not a lot of setup, but doesn’t have the foaming power that I think I’d want over time. I think eventually, I’ll upgrade to an Active 2.0, unless the next Ryobi can get closer to 1000psi.

Perhaps the film exists on the rest of the car, but I have to say, the car really does look amazing, so I don’t have much of an issue.
      02-29-2024, 09:31 PM   #8
sammyj
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpanipuri View Post
Your setup looks good!

Results look great!

Heres my simple setup

After winter wash:

Spray wheels with sonax wheel cleaner / let it dwell then power wash off
Presoak your DRY car with a good pre wash foam (Car pro Lift / Bilt Hamber Touchless)
Power wash that off
Chemical Decon (spray iron remover all over the car)
then follow with a contact wash (i use car pro reset) (i'll foam the car and then 2 bucket method)
then every few months (as needed) i'll hit it with car pro hydro2 foam and then rinse off gives 3/6m of protection.

for summer I foam with the car pro reset and then 2 bucket wash.

after all of that i typically use leaf blower to dry..

Hydro2 foam has been a game changer - foam on spray off (including wheels) helps prevent brake dust flying down the side of the car from sticking....

The car is dirty as hell right now due to all the rains, but I applied the Carpro hydro 2 in October and if you look at the top part of the vehicle its still beading very well!

Check out pan the organizers youtube channel, he does alot of product reviews etc...i've been really happy with the carpro stuff...its a little more expensive but it works really well!
Thanks! I’ll check out the Hydro 2, heard good things.

FWIW, after trying rinse less, I don’t see myself going back to 2 bucket. Have you tried ONR? Total game changer…
      02-29-2024, 11:21 PM   #9
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

You paid for ceramic coating and PPF. You should be able to wash it with rainwater and dry it off with a burlap sack.
Appreciate 1
Andrew2180.00
      03-01-2024, 12:44 PM   #10
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyj View Post
Thanks! I’ll check out the Hydro 2, heard good things.

FWIW, after trying rinse less, I don’t see myself going back to 2 bucket. Have you tried ONR? Total game changer…
I used ONR back in the day when it first gained popularity...i liked it, but had a hard time doing a rinseless wash, so i finished out using it as a prewash in a spray bottle.

now with the pressure washer and foam cannon and the modern chemicals, i can wash the car within 40m start to finish ... (regular maintenance wash)
Appreciate 1
sammyj254.00
      03-23-2024, 12:30 PM   #11
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

What is your strategy for all the water that dribbles down from all the nooks and crannies for hours after you complete the car wash? My car is not ceramic coated but these little drips are making me consider paying to get that done. I've used my leaf blower and spent quite amount of time blowing all the cracks and still I look an hour later and there are water spots and streaks in some spots. My car is black so that makes this worse. Does ceramic coating make this issue way way better??
      03-29-2024, 06:39 AM   #12
MADBMWX5MC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Good list of products and process, need to bring you over and do mine...
Appreciate 1
sammyj254.00
      03-29-2024, 08:51 AM   #13
sammyj
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
What is your strategy for all the water that dribbles down from all the nooks and crannies for hours after you complete the car wash? My car is not ceramic coated but these little drips are making me consider paying to get that done. I've used my leaf blower and spent quite amount of time blowing all the cracks and still I look an hour later and there are water spots and streaks in some spots. My car is black so that makes this worse. Does ceramic coating make this issue way way better??
Still happens with ceramic, the strategy is to obsess and hit it with the quick detailer.
      03-29-2024, 08:53 AM   #14
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

thats legit, props OP!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 1
sammyj254.00
      04-02-2024, 03:42 PM   #15
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
Throw a small cordless air compressor onto the iK Foam Pro 2. I have the same foamer + a fanttik compressor velcro'd to the side... never have to pump the iK.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2024, 04:36 PM   #16
Innovade
Private
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
Deionized water is your answer.
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2063.50
      04-02-2024, 05:15 PM   #17
Andrew2
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M2 OG DCT

Where do all of your products / chemicals drain - run off to ?

Quote:
P1 - You paid for ceramic coating and PPF. You should be able to wash it with rainwater and dry it off with a burlap sack
Appreciate 0