Message deleted.
      11-04-2018, 01:48 PM   #46
jeskandarian
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 iDrive50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommoN81 View Post
Hi all,

The lease on my Infiniti QX60 is coming up(cant wait for it to be over) and my wife and I have narrowed down our search to a '15/'16 X5. We test drove 35i and she loved it but I want more power so I am thinking about the 50i. Either way I plan on tuning it and doing some mods.

There are tons of options on these cars so wanted to see what you guys recommend as must haves and which motor. Anything I should look out for buying pre-owned X5?

Car will be local commuter but mine on the weekends . my daily is slow and boring so I need something fun and exciting to look forward to.

Thanks all.
Yesterday I finalized a deal on a very well optioned 2016 50i with low mileage from a 3rd party seller out of state. Then I made the mistake of searching for the reliability of the motor. Even with 19 months left on the warranty I just messaged the dealer that I'm cancelling the deal. I like to keep my cars for a long long time and have had luck with a couple of 3 Series cars in the past. Purchasing this motor seems like a HUGE roll of the dice if you plan on keeping it past the warranty. Just the info about the fact that you have to replace the battery every couple of oil changes because it doesn't bother to charge is a huge negative if using this car as a daily driver and road tripper.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 02:10 PM   #47
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeskandarian View Post
Yesterday I finalized a deal on a very well optioned 2016 50i with low mileage from a 3rd party seller out of state. Then I made the mistake of searching for the reliability of the motor. Even with 19 months left on the warranty I just messaged the dealer that I'm cancelling the deal. I like to keep my cars for a long long time and have had luck with a couple of 3 Series cars in the past. Purchasing this motor seems like a HUGE roll of the dice if you plan on keeping it past the warranty. Just the info about the fact that you have to replace the battery every couple of oil changes because it doesn't bother to charge is a huge negative if using this car as a daily driver and road tripper.
Actually, for most of us 2014+ 50i owners, the N63TU has been way more reliable than previous versions of the engine. Other than some people who have moderate oil consumption, there don't seem to be any recurring problems with this iteration of the motor.

There's are very few German cars that I would feel comfortable keeping for
Quote:
"a long long time"
, especially modern, turbocharged engines!
      11-04-2018, 02:25 PM   #48
CommoN81
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

[IMG]undefined[/IMG]

Intake and tint done. Tune... which one....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 08:43 PM   #49
geedup35
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 X5 50i - DHP

Quote:
Quote:
Hi all,

The lease on my Infiniti QX60 is coming up(cant wait for it to be over) and my wife and I have narrowed down our search to a '15/'16 X5. We test drove 35i and she loved it but I want more power so I am thinking about the 50i. Either way I plan on tuning it and doing some mods.

There are tons of options on these cars so wanted to see what you guys recommend as must haves and which motor. Anything I should look out for buying pre-owned X5?

Car will be local commuter but mine on the weekends . my daily is slow and boring so I need something fun and exciting to look forward to.

Thanks all.
I would have to disagree with your assessment of the reliability of this engine. As Rotzy mentioned, apart from high oil consumption the N63TU has been pretty solid.

Now I do agree that normal "maintenance" is high/pricey, but you get a beast that puts out 445hp/479 ft·lbs Torque.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 12:05 AM   #50
jeskandarian
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 iDrive50

Quote:
Originally Posted by geedup35 View Post
I would have to disagree with your assessment of the reliability of this engine. As Rotzy mentioned, apart from high oil consumption the N63TU has been pretty solid.

Now I do agree that normal "maintenance" is high/pricey, but you get a beast that puts out 445hp/479 ft·lbs Torque.

Perhaps reading expensive repair stories for two hours after closing a loan and waiting a couple days for the car to be shipped wasn’t the best idea!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 02:22 AM   #51
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
It's up to you of course, but N63TU is to date a most reliable V8 twin turbo ever made (N63TU2/TU3 possibly too, but too early to tell). Stories you've read are 99% based on previous generation of this engine N63. People spread false info and some don't even know the difference between N63 and N63TU. If you go to the facebook x5 owners group - there are people who have no idea that N63 is no longer produced and continue to live in the past and spread horror stories.
Also, battery issue is a no issue. Our alternator (215 amp btw) charges it easily. The only time issue arises was for owners who do mostly short trips in winter while car sits for long periods outside. Even then you can just drive in Eco mode at the end of each trip to recharge battery faster. I never changed a oem battery and not going to for the next 5 years. It's built like a tank.

Seriously I read all x5 forums created in the world: English, Russian etc, facebook groups, you name it and so far I've seen like 4 or 5 confirmed cases of N63TU engine failure. Now of course not every owner posts such info, but to put it to perspective - that's more reliable than a Corolla.
Appreciate 2
      11-05-2018, 01:40 PM   #52
geedup35
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 X5 50i - DHP

Quote:
Perhaps reading expensive repair stories for two hours after closing a loan and waiting a couple days for the car to be shipped wasn’t the best idea!
Not that bad of an idea to exercise that right before it was too late. As DuSh also mentioned, those issues you were reading about were for the N63 vs the N63TU

I was actually in the market originally for a 2013 X5M but the power/reliability convinced me to pull the trigger on the F15 50i with DHP.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 06:18 PM   #53
Stev_chu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Quote:
It's up to you of course, but N63TU is to date a most reliable V8 twin turbo ever made (N63TU2/TU3 possibly too, but too early to tell). Stories you've read are 99% based on previous generation of this engine N63. People spread false info and some don't even know the difference between N63 and N63TU. If you go to the facebook x5 owners group - there are people who have no idea that N63 is no longer produced and continue to live in the past and spread horror stories.
Also, battery issue is a no issue. Our alternator (215 amp btw) charges it easily. The only time issue arises was for owners who do mostly short trips in winter while car sits for long periods outside. Even then you can just drive in Eco mode at the end of each trip to recharge battery faster. I never changed a oem battery and not going to for the next 5 years. It's built like a tank.

Seriously I read all x5 forums created in the world: English, Russian etc, facebook groups, you name it and so far I've seen like 4 or 5 confirmed cases of N63TU engine failure. Now of course not every owner posts such info, but to put it to perspective - that's more reliable than a Corolla.
Well said dush..please post more
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      11-13-2018, 06:39 PM   #54
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15’ Xdrive 50i

If it weren't for the 50i I wouldn't even own An X5. Picked mine up 2 weeks ago and I'm loving this fucking truck. She's a throaty one
Appreciate 3
DuSh2113.50
AnotherM3224.50
      11-14-2018, 01:25 PM   #55
sloanbj
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Xdrive50i MSport

90% of the reliabliilty complaints on the 2015 X5 were not engine-related, so choose whichever engine suits you - max power, max MPG, or mama bear.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 03:23 PM   #56
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

My 35i with MPPK and Racechip Ultimate is quick.
A stock 35i does 0-60 in 6.1 seconds( as per BMWNA ) and with the MPPK tune the acceleration is improved by 0.5 seconds (see attachment) which brings the 0-60 times to 5.6 seconds. Add a RaceChip Ultimate you can purchase from Ben r33_RGSport and you can shave another .5 seconds to bring it down to 5.1 seconds..

A stock 50i will sprint 0 to 60 in 4.3 seconds... just over a second faster than my 35i with MPPK alone to give you an idea how fast the 35i can be. Factor in the weight advantage on the 35i versus the 50i too.

However, there is still no replacement for displacement in terms of power and and fun factor with a V8.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf PIDoc8299.pdf (630.0 KB, 36 views)
      11-23-2018, 09:32 AM   #57
CommoN81
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Deciding between BMS Stage 1 or JB4... thoughts?

also thinking about changing charge pipe and down pipe.. is it worth it?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 10:26 AM   #58
Mbunje
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i M Sport

Do it!

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks all.
I just bought a 2014 X5 50i with MSport package, adaptive suspension, executive package, driver assist, 20” wheels, HK audio. 40k miles, $39k + fees/taxes and an extended warranty (not BMW CPO).

I came off of a 2011 Nissan Armada Platinum. So I know what you mean by “can’t wait” to exit your lease. Very capable and reliable transportation and family car, but drives like a truck and lacks refinement. You Q is better, but it’s still a truck.

Had a 2013 535i for a while. I like the concept of the car but the execution was not good. Way too long front end and chopped roofline (I’m 6’4”). Engine was nice though. And I appreciated the tech and refined interior. I considered the X5 35i for a while....

But one I drove my brothers Cayenne GTS with a V8 I knew I had to go that direction.

The X5 50i is the fastest car I have ever owned...and it’s 5000 lbs. Unbelievable performance. I cannot imagine what the M is like. With the adaptive suspension, this thing handles incredibly well for a tall-ish SUV. And the 11” wide wheels...holy shit. Compared to the Cayenne, much better interior, slightly larger in backseat and for cargo, much better tech (iDrive) and features. The BMW is faster and has better low end torque (thank you turbos). Handling is very similar with Porsche edging out the BMW on steering since it has Hydraulic steering. But the BMW feels remarkably responsive. Much better than my wife’s Q5 for example. With this much HP and available at low end, it makes the car feel lighter than it is. Did I mention it’s fast. Wow.

FWIW...insurance is about $300 less per year on the 2014 BMW X5 50i than the 2014 Cayenne GTS.

I’ve had mine for a week. It is the perfect combination of family hauler, size/space for utility, and performance. I could see myself driving this car for a long time.

Definitely go get one.
Appreciate 6